Implemented Fortin Grind

JH-2

Inspired
Hey Fractal team!

I would like to see Fortin Grind pedal in Axe Fx.

The sound is incredible!!!

https://www.fortinamps.com/product/grind-black-out/

Thanks

11avmet.jpg

"Not an Overdrive or Distortion". That means it's just an EQ.

This. From Fortin's website:

The Fortin website said:
...a simple single-knob pedal format for dialing in the perfect amount of frequency selective boost.
Just drop a Filter block into your signal chain, wherever you'd place the Fortin Grind, and set it to Peaking. You can dial in any tone that the Grind can make, and a lot of tones that it can't.

^^^ Yup. Sounds to me like it's nothing more than the classic Peak EQ with the knob controlling the frequency. This was a common technique used in the 80's to boost amps.

Use a filter block or the Input EQ in the amp block.

Yes, It's a single-knob pedal but it's not so easy to know what it does without analyzing it, that's why I've asked Fractal for this.

I don´t know who can have the pedal and knowledge to do all this in a filter block.

It will not be easy work.

Around 1981 I started using a graphic EQ in front of my Marshall. It was basically set like an upside down frown/bell curve. It was critical to my tone as it gave me the added boost/gain I wanted at the right frequency without (what I thought were) the downsides to using a drive/distortion pedal.

I was a teenager..... there was no internet and I had no idea what I was doing. I just stumbled on it. My sound guy/amp tech (a kid who was even younger than me but was technically savvy) put it inside my Marshall head and wired it directly to the input. I had this kick ass tone with no pedals and nobody knew how! Exciting huh?!! LOL!!

This pedal sounds like it's doing the same thing but they packaged and marketed it as some new, silver bullet. There's nothing new under the sun. Well...... except the Axe-FX III that is!

The eq is very variable (question of tastes and the hand that manipulates), not everything is as simple as you think.

Mike Fortin is a genius and this is the best pedal that does this.

The eq is very variable (question of tastes and the hand that manipulates)

Well, EQ is not variable on this pedal, it's fixed. And the rotary knob controls level only. Whereas on the Axe-Fx II you can dial it in to your liking.

Well, EQ is not variable on this pedal, it's fixed. And the rotary knob controls level only. Whereas on the Axe-Fx II you can dial it in to your liking.

Hi Yek,

I mean that an eq in general is very variable and question of taste, it is impossible to do it in the Axe FX without knowing the detail that this pedal really does, you can go crazy.

Hi Yek,

I mean that an eq in general is very variable and question of taste, it is impossible to do it in the Axe FX without knowing the detail that this pedal really does, you can go crazy.

Cliff described a way to do it. By using Synth + RTA. Or other tools. It's a little work but doable. Similar efforts have been made to mimic a Klon etc.

I looked up Girth and Grind and basically these controls steer input gain towards parts of the frequency spectrum.
One would probably use a Crossover block to emulate these amp controls. But as this pedal combines both controls, a Crossover is not needed, and a PEQ will probably suffice.

I hope that this pedal comes to Cliff and can do it, he is the expert in this and the best person to do it to perfection.

I don´t know who can have the pedal and knowledge to do all this in a filter block.
It’s not as daunting as you think.

- Pull up the Input EQ Page in your Amp block.

- Set Type to Peaking.

- Set Gain to somewhere around 8 or so.

- Adjust Frequency as you play, and see where you like it best. (Better yet, use the Looper block to play a riff while you turn the knob.)

- Once you have a sound you like best, repeat the above step with the Gain parameter.

- Now repeat the same step with the Q parameter.

- At some future date, get your hands on a Grind pedal, and see how close Fortin came to your ideal sound. :)

Not tone match, but pedal match...lol....?

The specialties of the pedal maker...a few engineers working on it for a year, spending money to develop it, using high tech equipment.
No, your not going to understand that... even if you quit your job and spent 40 hrs a week... teaching yourself the axe.

Back
Top Bottom