Former tube snob

The head sound engineer at church asked how I was liking the Axe, because I had been bringing my Princeton Reverb lately. Today i brought the Axe for the first time in a while. I explained how I was almost going to sell it out of frustration. I told him that a few guys here on the forum were kind enough to help me get the MFC figured out and that helped a lot. Special thanks to Chris's videos.

I took the advice given here and started with one amp, the AC30. I have my pedal board almost like I want it. When Im ready to try a new amp I plan to copy the pedal arrangement and swap the amps. I think the AC30 will be a mainstay as a clean to slightly overdriven choice.

Being a tube snob, I admit that when comparing the basic sounds in the Axe in comparison to amps i have owned or used: DrZ, Princeton Reverb, Shiva, and Blues Jr, there's quite a difference. However, I'm sure through proper tweaking of advanced parametrs, I could get closer. I just don't have the know how to do it. I just really like the dynamics of playing a good tube amp.

That being said though, when I weigh out all of the many benefits and capabilities of the Axe, not to mention the awesome folks at Fractal that are constantly striving to better the product, it's definitely something I am going to keep. I guess when i play at home or with just bass and drums, I prefer playing my tube amp but at church with the larger band, the Fractal blends so well and allows me to do so much. The last thing the sound guy said when I was packing up was "you sounded great through the system, headphones, and the video studio monitors. Do not sell it". I'm not. Instead im going to continue learning it.

Thanks to those who didn't let me jump ship.

We all go through these phases man. That is why so many recognized what you were dealing with and grabbed you by your electronic web shoulders and gave you a serious shaking last month. TOUGH LOVE!! You even had a Grammy Award winning player offer to mentor you while he was touring in your part of the woods. That is as good as it will ever get. (Did you take him up on it??)

I have the same tube connection with my Suhr Badger and can relate to the sonic addiction that we can make with certain amps. There is everything right with that. Kind of like friends. Now the AXE-FX II is that "Friend" who you can count on to be there not only for the parties, but for the moving day help as well for the price of a few slices of pizza and some beers! (OK and a very substantial one time loan)

It's not a Tubes only, or AFX-II only world here. Many, if not most of us will never, ever sell some of our amps. Badger and Chieftain for me. (not to mention my Solid State Roland Jazz chorus) These babies are each a part of my soul.

Your example is that of real kinship man. We will all trip and fall in our musical walk. It is so awesome to know that when that happens, all you or I need to do is log on with you FAS family here, and everyone here will have our backs. THIS IS FACT and you are the PROOF :D

Keep that AFX-II (and the Princeton) and ROCK ON down in Muscle Shoals.

Nice to see you are rocking in worship as well. The ultimate ROCK

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom