Former Kemper user, just bought axefx II

Welcome Jack Zucker !!

If you like Kemper better than the Axe... please keep it as a secret in here ! ;););)
What do you think about the new Gibson ES-275 ?

Hard to tell. The clips sound 137ish. I have too many axes so I won't be buying one! ;)

I haven't gotten my axefx yet but I have a few questions.

1) Will the built-in speaker impulses be good enough to get great cleans? What I use on the kemper is a '64 vibroverb set for no overdrive. It's profiled with a jensen 15 I believe which is a bit nasally for my tastes but it works for the most part. A 15" JBL might be a better bet...Looking forward to better digital time based effects that the kemper gives you, including 60s spring reverb.

To answer your question directly (since nobody else seems to want to), yes. You'll be surprised at the variety and quality of the included IRs, and there are tons more available for free or very low cost to plow through until you can't decide which one to use.

2) What are some good patches to start with for clean, semi-clean dumble and violiny dumble-style leads?

I can't answer that one easily, although I will say that it's very easy to row through the various patches until you find something close and then modify from there if necessary.

3) What's the smallest rack that I can get for it? I don't need space for other gear.

It absolutely requires a 2 space unit 14" deep, but I'd seriously consider a 4 space unit at least 16" deep. The extra spaces will accommodate either putting a rear-connection plate on the front, a wireless unit or a power distribution unit. The power distribution unit is probably the least necessary, as at most you'd probably only have the Axe Fx and a wireless plugged into it, and they'll both have power supplies with a LOT more power line filtering and protection than 99% of the power distribution units out there. Of course, wireless is a choice that you may not need to make unless you have stock in a battery company or run around big stages a lot. The rear-to-front panel movement is more for convenience if you move around a lot. If you mostly stay in one place I'm not sure you need that, either. But, a 4 space rack isn't much heavier, bigger or more expensive than a 2, and it leaves you a bit future-proof. You can always put blank plates in the unused spaces.

Another question. I'm on the waiting list for the FX8. Since I will only be using a few patches, would the FX8 be a better solution for me or are there some limitations that the Axefx II doesn't have?

And what's the cheapest way to get footswitching of effects/patches with the axe 2?

My understanding of the FX8 is that it's primarily the preamp/special effects section if the Axe Fx. So, you would lose some of the power amp and speaker cabinet modeling. But, I'm sure somebody else who's studied it more can expand on that.

As far as the cheapest way to get footswitching, the Behringer FCB1010 is a surprisingly nice piece that you can get for less than $150 new. It's a lotta gear for the money, and pretty robust/durable. But, I'll warn you ahead of time, unless you're quite comfortable with MIDI and all that involves, getting the thing to behave well for you can be a real exercise, and it's still a tad limited. For all it brings you in capability, you lose in setup time. Although, to be fair, once it's set up you're good to go.

Another, and certainly better unit to consider would be Voodoo Lab's Ground Control Pro. Here again, you'll have to learn a bit about MIDI and setup, but it does everything under the sun. Also very durable and robust, but they want $400 for that one. Fortunately, they're commonly on Ebay all the time for $300 or so new. In fact, I have a brand spankin' new one still in the box for $250 if you're interested.

Best choice, though, is Fractal's unit, the MFC101. I mean, it's built for the Axe Fx, so it's a plug'n'play unit. They're a little pricey, but they're also as sturdy as a truck and can work with a wide variety of other units as well if you wanted/needed to. Could be the last pedalboard MIDI controller you ever buy. Of course, you get what you pay for, so they don't give those little lovelies away.

Another question. I'm on the waiting list for the FX8. Since I will only be using a few patches, would the FX8 be a better solution for me or are there some limitations that the Axefx II doesn't have?

And what's the cheapest way to get footswitching of effects/patches with the axe 2?

Hey Jack, Jeremey here.

FX8 - only the effects from the Axe II (no amps or cabs)
AX8 - "lite" version of the Axe II, but basically does the same stuff, but with less horsepower

For foot swtiching, I have a TB-5 controller from BJ Devices for when I don't need the MFC. They have a 12 button version, too, and it's super easy to hook up with the Axe and configure. Built well, has two 'layers' of controls for each button, with options for tap tempo and tuner. The buttons can do patch changes, fx on/off, or scenes. Any patch change button doubles as a tap tempo and tuner button. Accepts two expression pedal inputs, too.

Last edited:
i didn't see a 7 button version. I saw the 12 and the 5. What's involved in programming it for the axefx?

Hey Jack, Jeremey here.

FX8 - only the effects from the Axe II (no amps or cabs)
AX8 - "lite" version of the Axe II, but basically does the same stuff, but with less horsepower

For foot swtiching, I have a TB-5 controller from BJ Devices for when I don't need the MFC. They have a 12 button version, too, and it's super easy to hook up with the Axe and configure. Built well, has two 'layers' of controls for each button, with options for tap tempo and tuner. The buttons can do patch changes, fx on/off, or scenes. Any patch change button doubles as a tap tempo and tuner button. Accepts two expression pedal inputs, too.

The FX8 is effects only. IOW, no amp sims. The AX8 has amp sims and does most of what the Axe does but supports less concurrent instances of amps and effects. The FX8 and AX8 both have a built-in pedalboard.

You need to specify the capabilities you need a little more deeply. Something like a Rocktron MIDIMate can do channel and effects switching but may not do everything you need.

Yes, a MidiMate can be set up to do a 5+5 layout (5 patches, 5 IA for effects or tap tempo, etc.)

I set mine up that way before I got the MFC.

TT

re: midi pedals, I'd like to be able to switch between 1-3 amps and turn effects on/off within amp. I assume that means creating several scenes for each amp where I can switch on/off 2-3 effects for each amp. Convenient access to the tuner would be nice too.

Scenes would solve that and the mfc 101 has a tuner button top right when you hit it the signal goes silent and the tuner appears on the face of the axe 2... I have a ground control for sale if you are looking for a controller.
I also own sheets of sound need to dig that out and start working that again...

Welcome you made the right choice.
You will love this magic box.

Back
Top Bottom