Former Kemper user, just bought axefx II

Love the kemper but the effects are horrible. So , I just bought an Axefx II. Primarily interested in clean fender tones but I also use dumbly and holdsworthian overdrives.

I haven't gotten my axefx yet but I have a few questions.

1) Will the built-in speaker impulses be good enough to get great cleans? What I use on the kemper is a '64 vibroverb set for no overdrive. It's profiled with a jensen 15 I believe which is a bit nasally for my tastes but it works for the most part. A 15" JBL might be a better bet...Looking forward to better digital time based effects that the kemper gives you, including 60s spring reverb.

Here's an example of what I get out of the kemper. Looking for something similar to start with.

2) What are some good patches to start with for clean, semi-clean dumble and violiny dumble-style leads?
3) What's the smallest rack that I can get for it? I don't need space for other gear.

thanks in advance!

You look like a relative of Arnold Schwarzenegger! Ha! Great playing man. Keep us posted on your opinion between the two units.
The kemper looks cool and sounds great, just always looked like something out of the original Star Trek TV show.,,....Bones!!

1) Will the built-in speaker impulses be good enough to get great cleans? What I use on the kemper is a '64 vibroverb set for no overdrive. It's profiled with a jensen 15 I believe which is a bit nasally for my tastes but it works for the most part. A 15" JBL might be a better bet...Looking forward to better digital time based effects that the kemper gives you, including 60s spring reverb.
yes :) more in my answer below
2) What are some good patches to start with for clean, semi-clean dumble and violiny dumble-style leads?
you're probably proficient with modelers in general already, so aside from learning "where things are" for the axe-fx, i would highly suggest just starting with a blank preset, choosing a cab/ir in the cab block that seems to make sense, then trying the amps available.

the kemper profiles a snapshot of an amp with its controls in a certain spot. from there you can make slight adjustments, but you aren't 'turning the knobs on the amp' so to speak. the axe models the amps completely. so a change on the bass mid or treb IS turning the knob on the amp. so you'll get more useable controls and can really dial in the amps just as you would on a real amp.

of course you might find a factory preset you like, but i'd just scroll through those as a learning exercise (unless something sounds like what you want!). many people thought the axe was "ok" when they just used factory presets, maybe a small adjustment or two.

but the possibilities opened up when they started blank, loaded amp and cab and tried the amps for themselves. each one has a different characteristic and you'll find one or a few that really resonate with you. and i'm just talking basic tone, not even effects or anything yet.

of course, the cab/ir is equally as - if not more! - important as the amp block in determining the overall tone, eq and sound of the preset, so try a few things there of course. please be sure to approach the axe a bit differently as far as creating tones. :)

OP, thanks for posting so that Cliff could be inspired to hijack thread & give out Quantum 2.0 nuggets!

oh yeah......I hope you enjoy your AFX journey!

We are a heck of a diverse bunch, ya know...
From Djent to Jazz, everyone finds something to love about the Axe-FX.

yes, I had an axefx standard and did many demos. It's a great box and I still think it's one of the best.

I dropped of TGP when the stupidity quotient started outweighing the good content. Too many harmony-central converts and folks on the digital forums there are such fanbois of their particular system that I found if I said anything negative about the kemper, folks would be all up in my face saying I couldn't play, didn't know what I was talking about, etc. I finally canceled my account. Unfortunately, it seems that forums really cultivate herd mentality.

Welcome.

1. Yes, the built in IR's will work for you. You may choose to find others, but at worse you spend a bit extra for a Cab pack that will further suit your needs.
2. There is a Jazz patch that you can give a run on. But I suspect that you'll be able to tweak some of the other D Styles that might work better for you. Look them over with Axe Edit when your box arrives.
3. 2U. Although if you are paranoid like I am, I get a 3U rack and put a power conditioner in there (mostly to protect the $5000 worth of equipment I run through it...2 CLR, Axe +, MFC.)

And you seem familiar to me. Were you part of the family back in the Ultra/Standard days? Or maybe talked to you on TGP.

R

Great playing Jack! I think you'll absolutely love the diversity of realistic tones that the Axe is capable of. Can't wait to hear what you can do with it in the jazz sense. Sounds like you have some Metheny and Martino influences. Love it!

Lol, Jack does inspire and overwhelm at the same time. I never got a chance to try and sweep while improvising fusion lines. That looks real difficult, but always tasteful and musical.

first of all..awesome playing and hope you love the axe

I got a 2 space from nice-racks.com (don't Google it. or forget the hyphen...especially at work) but he makes beautiful stuff if your not taking it anywhere.

yes, I had an axefx standard and did many demos. It's a great box and I still think it's one of the best.

I dropped of TGP when the stupidity quotient started outweighing the good content. Too many harmony-central converts and folks on the digital forums there are such fanbois of their particular system that I found if I said anything negative about the kemper, folks would be all up in my face saying I couldn't play, didn't know what I was talking about, etc. I finally canceled my account. Unfortunately, it seems that forums really cultivate herd mentality.

It can rear it's ugly head here as well. Infrequently, from time to time. For the most part it's really, really good here and the moderators, (IMHO) do a really good job of not allowing things to get out of control in maintaining forum civility and the forum integrity.

Welcome aboard,

Welcome Jack Zucker !!

If you like Kemper better than the Axe... please keep it as a secret in here ! ;););)
What do you think about the new Gibson ES-275 ?

Welcome to the forum and WOW what incredible playing! Makes me start to think I should have been an accountant instead....!

Fanbois are in every forum, you just have to ignore them and enjoy the positive benefits of the forum instead - here we have tonnes of amazing people with such great ideas! So the positives here outweigh the negatives.

Well I'm going to go off now and start bashing my F5 key until, well, soon.... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom