Formant trickery

FDB

I've been playing around with the "man in a box" preset to see if I could eliminate one more heavy, infrequently used pedal from my board. I still ran the tube up my mic stand for " visual effect". ;)

Fractal Formant trickery - YouTube
The video is labelled Fractal Formant Trickery incase the link doesn't work. Apologies for sound quality, playing technique, my overall appearance and anything else that the perfect people notice.

That was really neat! Do you route the mic in to the AFII just to do that stuff or does the mic do double duty for regular vocals?

Reactions: FDB
FDB, if you post the block, I promise to use it in a wise way, not to scare innocent animals.

Last edited:
I will get the patch on Axe Exchange later this evening. My wife always busts my junk for not setting up the talk box, a Rocktron Banshee. It adds about 25lbs. to my pedalboard and only gets used for 1 solo and a few random endings. After my experiment, I realized the Formant block could more than cover it, I had a couple of musicians asking me about if I used a certain mic, what kind of pedal was it? My wife was the only person I showed the trick to, so any day I'll probably start getting asked when I'm going to sell ALL the stuff that this magic black box has made obsolete.

Thanks for this. I'll have to dig into this myself a little as I'm also trying to unload a Banshee from my setup.
Keeping the tube is a nice touch to keep the show going on.

Nice!

And a Flying Vee even, don't see enough of those out there in the wild....

Had the same experience with a talk box; much as i loved it, the extra weight and setup hassle just got too much for the limited use it got.

Faux-Talkbox on!

Last edited:
I had to re-read your post. When I watched the video, I totally was believing like iaresee, that you'd used the Vocoder block. That was awesome. I, too, look forward to checking out the patch. Thanks for opening my eyes!

Lee

I have no idea how you are doing this? A mic is fed into the AxeFx like the way you would use the vocoder but you are using formant and expression pedal control?

I have no idea how you are doing this? A mic is fed into the AxeFx like the way you would use the vocoder but you are using formant and expression pedal control?

I believe the mic is smoke and mirrors. Have you tried the Man in the Box preset?

I believe the mic is smoke and mirrors. Have you tried the Man in the Box preset?

Exactly!!! I shared my version of the Man in a Box preset on Axe Exchange, can't remember what I changed from the stock preset #332, probably the amp eq and level. My point was to use the tube as a prop, it wasn't attached to anything, the effect is all Fractal and it controls itself. It's amazing to me that as long as ppl think I'm using the real thing it's all good. Musicians in my local scene are still hung up with loud, not a hope in hell of gettin' in the fronts, 2 412 cabs, 100 watt heads and pedals upon pedals!

Exactly!!! I shared my version of the Man in a Box preset on Axe Exchange, can't remember what I changed from the stock preset #332, probably the amp eq and level. My point was to use the tube as a prop, it wasn't attached to anything, the effect is all Fractal and it controls itself. It's amazing to me that as long as ppl think I'm using the real thing it's all good. Musicians in my local scene are still hung up with loud, not a hope in hell of gettin' in the fronts, 2 412 cabs, 100 watt heads and pedals upon pedals!
If I understand your rig would be as follow :
You plug your guitar and your mic to the AxeFX and both use the same preset (with the formant) so when you play the guitar the formant block in the chain changes the sound of your voice from your mic.
The tube is here only for the show because it’s not connected.
Am I wrong ?

Back
Top Bottom