Formant Filter Frustration

simeon

Axe-Master
the formant filter is great, but like most people i'm using it to try and emulate a talk box. it's sort of half way there, but what's missing is the "fuzzyness" of the real talk box. i've tried running the formant into a drive block, but that didn't work very well. and i also had a brainstorm today and tried using the 1x8 oval, reducing speaker size and motor drive and using that instead of the usual 4x12 etc. a real talk box has a tiny speaker in it, so i thought by using the 1x8 and reducing speaker size might get me closer. it did...kinda....but that fuzzyness is still missing. i'm wondering if we could maybe have a new "fuzz" parameter added to the formant....or perhaps another talk box "type"...to try and really nail that talk box tone?
i don't know much about talk boxes, never having owned one, but the sound coming down the pipe must be pretty weird....?

sim

I am curious about this also. I have tried it numerous times but never was really happy with the results. I was not trying to replicate a talk box but just trying to get some nice experimental vowel sounds. Now I hardly use it anymore. I am curious how people here use the Formant block and what settings or combinations with other blocks they use.

at the moment i'm just using it after the cab block and set the vowels how i like them. it works ok, especially for Livin On A Prayer, which is basically all i'm using it for at the moment, but we've been looking at doing Haitian Divorce and Show me the Way.

for experimental sounds, try putting in a side chain with a big reverb, long delay or plex in front of it, with an lfo controlling the sweep. some nice stuff to be had there.

the fizzy-ness comes from the formant going directly to the output (or PA as in the actual setup). I put the comp after it so i can adjust the level of talk effect and also to tame it a bit

Hi Simeon, I'm just speculating, but given the small speaker inside the box, and the diameter of the tubing, I'd guess that only a narrow range of moderately high frequencies are coming through. Have you tried restricting the frequency range to being only from say 1.5Khz to 3Khz and then raising the level into distortion? Away from my AxeFX or would give it a try.

yes, using the 1x8 and reducing the size helps a lot and also raising the low cut freq in the cab block. i also added some "air" at 8k to try and increase the fizzyness....but all this is pretty much over-ridden by what the formant block is doing to the tone.

i also played around with motor drive in the cab block and speaker drive in the amp block to increase fuzzyness, but again....the formant block takes over. the change needs to happen there, imo

the formant filter is great, but like most people i'm using it to try and emulate a talk box. it's sort of half way there

That can't be a coincidence.
You must have done it on purpose8)

Jockes aside I'm very interested in what will be written on this thread 'cause I'm covering Livin' On A Prayer and it would be nice to have a very good talkbox escamotage.

Traditional talk boxes are plain old horn-loaded compression drivers funneled into a tube. The sound they produce is colored by the resonance of the tube (usually about six feet long) and devoid of low end. That's what feeds the formants of your vocal tract. You could try simulating that pith a PEQ in front of your dormant block.

For the fuzziness, try following it with a cab block loaded with a null IR, the mic of your choice with plenty of proximity, and dial the cab block's preamp section to taste.

Edit: or try making a talk box IR.

a talk box ir might be interesting...anybody have one and want to have a go?

i'd still like to see the formant block upgraded though....it must be possible...the reverbs and rotary sound amazing now... :)

I cover The Scorpions - "The Zoo" and managed a somewhat passable talk box effect by combining a wah, a flanger, and the formant blocks.

I would love for FAS to model an actual "Talk Box" block.

for experimental sounds, try putting in a side chain with a big reverb, long delay or plex in front of it, with an lfo controlling the sweep. some nice stuff to be had there.

ok thanks. Have to try this! BTW with side chain do you mean a parallel row?

EDIT: ok, tried it and came up with this Ambient type sound (FW17.04 standard Axe fxII). A pitch block and plex delay is placed before the Formant block on a parallel row.
LFO controls the sweep of the Formant block.
EP1 = volume, EP2= more pronounced Vowel sound (by increasing LFO depth). You can bypass the overdrive block if you want.
I think it's kind of hard to find the sweet spot in the Formant block. Took me a long time before I was satisfied. And still I am not completely happy.

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• Vocal Pitch P2=formant.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
How about adding a microphone i.e. your voice as a second input / modifier for "a new talk box block"? I think it might result to a more authentic sound but usability is another thing...

Back
Top Bottom