Forgot How Loud Tube Amps Are

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
I almost exclusively use tube amps into a load box or a speaker in an isolation box or room. I finished updating the Blues Jr. today. Probably one of the quieter tube amps made. For yucks I decided to compare it with it's built-in speaker to the Axe-Fx through monitors. All knobs on noon except MV at 3ish.

Holy carp!!! I'd forgotten just how loud even a lowly Blues Jr. can get. And that's with the MV pretty low.

They're actually pretty decent little amps and sound great when cranked.

For some amps, MV sort of maxes out in the middle of the range or even before. I suspect it's a marketing trick: people set them to like 3 and they're already peeling paint off the walls, so they think there's much more after 3, and there just isn't, but hardly anyone goes to 11, except when running amps that are made for that kind of use (e.g. Marshall Plexi and derivatives).

I almost exclusively use tube amps into a load box or a speaker in an isolation box or room. I finished updating the Blues Jr. today. Probably one of the quieter tube amps made. For yucks I decided to compare it with it's built-in speaker to the Axe-Fx through monitors. All knobs on noon except MV at 3ish.

Holy carp!!! I'd forgotten just how loud even a lowly Blues Jr. can get. And that's with the MV pretty low.

... which is why I bought an Axe-FX to begin with.

😁They’re ridiculous things really, aren’t they?! Haha!

That is one of the main reasons why I did stop messing with guitar amplifiers long time ago: My ears, family, pets, neighbors, and spirits dwelling around cannot tolerate that punishment.

The second main reason is their weight

Last edited:
I used to gig with a Mesa Mk IV combo. I was never able to get the MV above 2 in any rooms we played. And, with MV on 2, it was absolute molten lava death ray for anyone sitting in front of the speaker. I started turning the amp around facing the opposite direction. I don't miss the schlep or the ringing in my ears all night after the gig.

That’s because it essentially maxes out at around 3.5-4 on Mark. The main problem with Mark IV is weight though. It has EVM12L speaker, and that thing weighs as much as, if not more than, the remainder of the amp. Not a combo for those with back issues for sure.

Funny thing. I played my Mark V with fm3 in 4cm configuration then gave the FM3 a break (mostly on during the day) and I played straight into the amp. Love the fm3 but man, do I like the V :cool:...

I have a tweed blues Jr that I take to jam with friends. It's insanely loud for its size, but it's a great little amp for the price.It can cut through anything else going on. And it's nice and light.

Metal guys need to move some air, or it ain't a proper metal show! :cool:
The Mark IV in the FM3 sounds spot on with the Mark IV mode in the V - if I turn the amp in the Variac Power mode (Brown?!?).
In full power mode, the Mark IV in the V is more ooompfy - maybe that's what the swan brings to the table?!? Can't wait.

my 100w 5150 is just way to loud for my neighbors 4 houses down :rolleyes:
Standing in front of the 4x12 I can barely open the volume control and if I stand too close the red channel squeals. Thank God for the Waza TAE. Dunno why they chose the volume taper because it's game over mush past the fourth tick, like 10 o'clock. The presence control is the same way but in reverse... nothing til BOOM all the presence!
Also, Blues Jr is a rad amp with a dumb name.

Back
Top Bottom