For you players with CLRs/PowerCabs/Other large FRFRs

When you play your Axe FX at home, do you primarily play through FRFR solutions?

• Yes, I use 1 FRFR cab

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Yes, I use 2 (or more) FRFR cabs

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • No, I use (a) studio monitor(s)

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • No, I use headphones

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • No, I use something else

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

JMMP

Hey everyone,

For you people with larger FRFR setups (basically more than studio monitors), when you play the Axe at your house (or anywhere not with a band?), how do you set your FRFRs up?
I have two CLRs, and will only ever be using them at home. I did a listening comparison between them and some PA speakers I have, and I realized the CLRs really need to be loud to sound their best. This has me wondering if having two is overkill, since turning up two CLRs in my room might lead to hearing loss.

So when you're at home do you use 1 FRFR, or 2?

I know dialing in presets at gig volumes is important, but when I play out, I am pretty much exclusively using a provided backline (9 times out of 10, that is a Helix).

I always use two CLRs plus a 4x12 in the center, just at home. I am really surprised that you find that the CLRs need to be cranked. My experience is just the opposite, and find them to sound just as awesome at low volume as they do cranked. That is with an Axe Fx III and not a Helix though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! How do you power your 412?

I compared the speakers using commercial music, and the CLRs sounded like they had a blanket over them until they got up to 95 dB or so.
The back line provided to me is a Helix, but I will be using my home setup with an Axe 3 (which I am on the waitlist for).

Two CLR's and two QSC K.2 10's here. It's got a pretty big sound and you don't have to get loud to achieve a full, rich tone.

Also, have a pair of Equator D8's for very quiet listening.

Also, two 1x12 Avatar speaker cabs, one with a Celestion Alnico cream in one and a WGS Blackhawk HP in the other. They are powered by a Fryette 50x50 tube amp. I don't turn this on much, but it sounds really good when I do.

I've got two CLRs at home and find I definitely don't need to crank em to sound great
They're the perfect compliment to everything the III is capable of

I’m using a CLR at home and I find it sounds great at low volumes. I think as you turn it up you get more amp-like thump, but tonally it stays pretty much the same. Would love to get another, but right now, my stereo setup (when I use one) has to have a Line 6 StageSource speaker (which is actually quite good) on the other side.

2 x CLR user here and use mine at a low volume to avoid complaints, but they still translate to a loud PD excellently (EDIT: when dialling in patches for louder PA systems I do have the CLR's a little louder than my normal bedroom playing level to avoid the dreaded FM curve, but not as loud as gig levels). They sound great low, and just as great at gig volumes when I take them with.

There is a definite thumping when I turn them up loud but initially this comes from my wife (they should really put a warning label on the CLR for that).

Last edited:
Just got a CLR, it sounds ridiculous. Just ridiculous. Whether using the Axe III, or just playing music through it, I'll probably use it for a second reference monitor with recording because it is so good. I've had Friedman ASC-10, it thumps more like a cab, and it does indeed sound it's best at higher volume. Not so with the CLR, great and consistent at every volume. Between the two I'll take the CLR. If I can find more money, I will find another CLR.

I always use two CLRs plus a 4x12 in the center, just at home. I am really surprised that you find that the CLRs need to be cranked. My experience is just the opposite, and find them to sound just as awesome at low volume as they do cranked. That is with an Axe Fx III and not a Helix though.

I do this same type of setup but due to space limitations, in between the CLRs I use a 2x12 powered by a SS Carvin rack amp. This sounds great whether whisper quiet or punishingly loud.

I once tried my CLR's as studio monitors, one of either side of my 27" monitor. Sounded absolutely awesome with everything at studio monitor levels. It's also quite intimidating having something that big and powerful 50cm from each ear :)

I have a powercab 112+ but after getting some monitors (mackie CR4) I've been using those unless teaching online.

I prefer to program with my CLR but also use Beyer DT1990 headphones or Focal solo6 studio monitors when recording, practicing or teaching.

I use 1 CLR at home, but am thinking about bringing another home to run stereo. CLR's are almost too clinical; if it sounds like a blanket over your sound then there is an issue! First I'd make sure you are properly gain staging them...the clip light is deceiving as it's telling you ahead of time it's not clipping yet.

I use both my CLR's and my studio monitors. If recording I use the monitors. Creating presets I use the CLR's.

Back
Top Bottom