For Tightwads...

jshirkey

Experienced
I have a friend who is a tightwad. He's looking for a used Axe FX ii. I think he's delusional about the price he expects to get it for, but it doesn't dissuade him.

He also has some old Tannoy monitors that I sold him a few years ago, (I was grateful, of course, but I also knew he wouldn't buy anything new! lol) but I don't think they will be a great match for the Axe ii. They would probably be okay, but not nearly as great as my Focal Solo 6s.

He will probably need a MIDI controller--eventually.

My questions for all you other tightwads out there:

1. What's a good used price for an Axe ii? I'm thinking around $1600, but maybe they can be had for less??
2. What are some good monitors that won't break the bank? Or will the old Tannoy Reveals be okay?
3. Is there another controller that is cheaper than the MFC 101, but still will get the job done? Or maybe a used one is the way to go?

Thanks.

I would expect $1400-$1600 for a mkII.

Lots of less expensive midi controllers. Many use the FCB1010 (typically with the Uno chip), which can be gotten for less than $100 all the time.

There is also the BJ Devices pedals and the Morningstar MC6. All are pretty capable, though not as "plug and play" as the MFC.

Curious what his expectations are - If one watches closely you can catch steal but you need to have patience and great timing to grab as they move quickly.

I have a friend who is a tightwad. He's looking for a used Axe FX ii. I think he's delusional about the price he expects to get it for, but it doesn't dissuade him.

He also has some old Tannoy monitors that I sold him a few years ago, (I was grateful, of course, but I also knew he wouldn't buy anything new! lol) but I don't think they will be a great match for the Axe ii. They would probably be okay, but not nearly as great as my Focal Solo 6s.

He will probably need a MIDI controller--eventually.

My questions for all you other tightwads out there:

1. What's a good used price for an Axe ii? I'm thinking around $1600, but maybe they can be had for less??
2. What are some good monitors that won't break the bank? Or will the old Tannoy Reveals be okay?
3. Is there another controller that is cheaper than the MFC 101, but still will get the job done? Or maybe a used one is the way to go?

Thanks.
Killer inexpencive MIDI controller Morningstar MC6 . Does it all for about $200

I sold my AXE FX IImk I fir $1,500 three weeks ago. I saw one here asking $1,200. It's hard since it seems it's coming to the end of the firmware. But later units are more expensive.

Killer inexpencive MIDI controller Morningstar MC6 . Does it all for about $200

I'd be careful to qualify "does it all" when referencing a MIDI pedal with only 6 switches. From what I've seen of the MC6, it looks like a great little controller pedal, but a lot of performers are going to struggle with a 6 button limitation without additional hardware, no matter how deep the programming capabilities are.

Anyone who is extremely frugal and wants the most bang-for-buck is going to have a difficult time beating the Behringer FCB1010 for sheer numbers of switches and expression pedals. Its feature set isn't half bad either for a pedal you can get new for $150 US, or $100 used.

Obviously, the FCB1010 is no panacea for a lot of reasons: sorta big footprint; quirky MIDI programming; usage needs may require investigation of 3rd party PROM (it didn't for me, but understandable for others).

But, price vs. features, still very difficult to beat, especially used (buy an extra for backup, total cost $200?). I would advise anyone who isn't dedicated to learning quirky, archaic programming and the details of MIDI spec should probably avoid the FCB1010, at least the stock version.

You should be able to get a MkII, FCB1010 and Eurekaprom III chip all for around $1800. And the FCB1010/Eurakprom combo is as plug-n-play as it gets.
-
Austin

Does he need the FX2, maye an AX8 would work, no need for controller. Recording though, FX2 would be better. Tannoys would be just fine.

Best idea ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

And I also agree Tannoys are just fine, I have a couple sitting in front of me right now and work just fine with my AF II & AX8.

As for your friend don't push him,hard. I have pushed friends of mine in the past and always ended (mmmm not bad but frustrating)

If there frustrated, "you talked them into buying all this expensive gear"..

Another example, "you told me to get this amp and it crapped out it's junk"

My response:: You purchased a used tube amp, ALL tube amp's need tubes it's maintenance like changing the oil on your car. You had it for 7 years and I have been telling you over the past year it's time the tubes are giving you warning signs.

Friends response: "I replaced the burnt out tube and the amp works but sounds like shit"

My response: you have to replace the whole set like I told you!

Friends response: It’s over $100 to re-tube that thing. (Mesa mark IV BTW)

My response: what did you pay for it ?? I’ll just buy it from you and you can do whatever, and you’re not out any money. (Since this all my fault in the first place)

He took me up on that! Got the amp re-tubed it, also threw it on the bench, checked out the electrolytic caps and sprayed out the pots and just gave it a good cleaning in general. (it’s was never the cleanest thing to begin with). Was going to keep it but had one already had one so, ended up selling it. But not before I had an offer from my friend, he knew what I did to it and he heard it roar. He offered me what I paid him and an extra $50, I re-minded him I put over $100 of tubes in it. He then offered $75. (Keep in mind if he offered the money I paid him and the cost of the tubes it would have been his)

Another friend knew a kid who was interested; I was looking for the investment and maybe another $100. The kid (about 16 years old) came over loved the amp asked questions never once tried to get a discount. He was trying to put together a good rig. The only thing he asked if I could wait two weeks so he could get the funds. Sure, I was in no hurry.

All of the sudden friend finds the funds to match the kid (keep in mind he is well to do in the first place) the kid was not. The kid comes over with his mother/ride wants to try amp again asked some more questions and handed me the money. He asked about a speaker cable and how much they cost what brand and so one so I gave him a few. He thanked me and thanked me for waiting. I asked what cab he was playing through, it was a crap speaker. But he said there was a guy selling a 2x12 recto cab who he also asked to wait and the person agreed. I asked how much he was currently short he said $250. He had paid me all in 100 dollar bills, I handed him back 300 and told him to get it today.

My friend found out about it and said I did this on purpose. I said no I didn’t I just wanted rid of the head and I was pretty impressed with this kid and just wanted to help a bit and if it had the added bonus of pissing you off GOOD after the BS I was put though.

You don’t take try to take advantage of your friends and NO the world does not owe you a living.

Roll clock ahead 18 years friend gone but still see from time to time but refuse to do any type of collaboration with him. The kid now in his 30’s lives out of state but we chat a few times a year.

Oooooo I sorry guys I’m venting.

Last edited:
MC6
If 6 switches aren't enough you can add more.
It's not the number of switches but the capability of that counts

Last edited:
MC6
If 6 switches aren't enough you can add more.
It's not the number of switches but the capability of that counts

And the corollary is that not every switch needs to have deep MIDI programming available in order to be generally useful. I'll take a MIDI pedal configuration with (per bank) 4 presets and 6 scenes available at all times (no extra tapdancing) with 2 available exp pedals over a slicker rig with 6 buttons and no exp pedals. Of course you can add to virtually ANY MIDI pedal controller to add functions. That's not the point. Again, bang for buck, there's a reason why a lot of players are still using the FCB1010.

JMHO.

I picked up my Mk.II and MFC-101 Mk.I in a 6 space rack with power conditioner for $1900 about a year ago. Wish I had a Mk.III but other than that, I'm happy about what I paid.

"many ways to skin a cat"
It's not what how many buttons, presets or scenes you use, It's the quality of the guitar/music reaching your audience.

Best idea ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

And I also agree Tannoys are just fine, I have a couple sitting in front of me right now and work just fine with my AF II & AX8.

As for your friend don't push him,hard. I have pushed friends of mine in the past and always ended (mmmm not bad but frustrating)

If there frustrated, "you talked them into buying all this expensive gear"..

Another example, "you told me to get this amp and it crapped out it's junk"

My response:: You purchased a used tube amp, ALL tube amp's need tubes it's maintenance like changing the oil on your car. You had it for 7 years and I have been telling you over the past year it's time the tubes are giving you warning signs.

Friends response: "I replaced the burnt out tube and the amp works but sounds like shit"

My response: you have to replace the whole set like I told you!

Friends response: It’s over $100 to re-tube that thing. (Mesa mark IV BTW)

My response: what did you pay for it ?? I’ll just buy it from you and you can do whatever, and you’re not out any money. (Since this all my fault in the first place)

He took me up on that! Got the amp re-tubed it, also threw it on the bench, checked out the electrolytic caps and sprayed out the pots and just gave it a good cleaning in general. (it’s was never the cleanest thing to begin with). Was going to keep it but had one already had one so, ended up selling it. But not before I had an offer from my friend, he knew what I did to it and he heard it roar. He offered me what I paid him and an extra $50, I re-minded him I put over $100 of tubes in it. He then offered $75. (Keep in mind if he offered the money I paid him and the cost of the tubes it would have been his)

Another friend knew a kid who was interested; I was looking for the investment and maybe another $100. The kid (about 16 years old) came over loved the amp asked questions never once tried to get a discount. He was trying to put together a good rig. The only thing he asked if I could wait two weeks so he could get the funds. Sure, I was in no hurry.

All of the sudden friend finds the funds to match the kid (keep in mind he is well to do in the first place) the kid was not. The kid comes over with his mother/ride wants to try amp again asked some more questions and handed me the money. He asked about a speaker cable and how much they cost what brand and so one so I gave him a few. He thanked me and thanked me for waiting. I asked what cab he was playing through, it was a crap speaker. But he said there was a guy selling a 2x12 recto cab who he also asked to wait and the person agreed. I asked how much he was currently short he said $250. He had paid me all in 100 dollar bills, I handed him back 300 and told him to get it today.

My friend found out about it and said I did this on purpose. I said no I didn’t I just wanted rid of the head and I was pretty impressed with this kid and just wanted to help a bit and if it had the added bonus of pissing you off GOOD after the BS I was put though.

You don’t take try to take advantage of your friends and NO the world does not owe you a living.

Roll clock ahead 18 years friend gone but still see from time to time but refuse to do any type of collaboration with him. The kid now in his 30’s lives out of state but we chat a few times a year.

Oooooo I sorry guys I’m venting.
Don't call him "friend" ;)

Okay, what I gather so far:

1. Tannoys are fine. (Note: If you think Tannoys are fine--and I'm sure they are--you guys should think about upgrading to Focals. Holy crap are they amazing.)
2. It's not crucial to get an MFC-101 (or Liquid Foot, etc.). There are decent controllers for people really on a budget.
3. My friend may not be crazy thinking he can get an Axe ii for around $1450. I thought he was nuts. I wouldn't sell mine for less than $1600-1700, and mine is a Mk I, as far as I'm aware. Aside: What *is* the difference between a MK I and a MK II anyway?
4. Be careful who you call a "friend". lol I appreciate the advice, but this guy has been my best friend for over over 40 years, since we were in first grade. I can call him a tightwad and a tire kicker all day long, and he'd say I was exactly right!

One more question: I did mention the AX8 to him. It may be all he'd need. But the comment above about recording caught my attention. What limitations does it have compared to an Axe FX II?

Back
Top Bottom