For those with both AXE FX II XL and AX-8....

Glauben

Which unit do you find yourself using 'more' after having both for some time??

I have an Ultra and trying to assess whether to go floor or rack.
Love double tracking.
Do not have an MFC.
Worship ministry once a week.

Thanks.

I prefer the xl+ because of the extra power, but when I play out I always take the AX8 because it's so much easier and portable (moving to and from) and foot switches make it so easy to set up to control patches. If I could leave everything where I played I would probably use the Axe II.
The Ax8 is also very capable for my live needs, most of the crazier things I like from the Axe II's extra power aren't used for live playing. I love them both though :)

I have both, as well as an FX8, but they are spread out between two states, and I do not play out much anymore, but I have grown used to the near- infinite power of the XL, and when using AX8, I often pair it with FX8 or an Eventide H9 Max so I do not feel the CPU limitations, but if I did gig a lot, the AX8 could easily be enough.

I bought two XL+ units originally with the intent of leaving one in the studio and one at the church. My hope was to be able to just copy my tweaked presets and settings from the studio unit over to the church unit by using a thumb drive. Since that turned out to be a bit more time consuming, I purchased an AX8. Now I can just throw that in a backpack and take it back and forth. I still enjoy the power advantages of the XL+. It just depends on what material we are covering and how much horsepower is required. AX8 will do the job most of the time for me.

XL for me. I've bought two AX8's. sold the first one and am selling the second to my brother soon. It is convenient and small but I'm so used to everything I have with the II XL that I just hate not having it. Plus to me it's much easier to navigate the XL. FracPad for the AX8 helps a lot though. IMO coming from an ultra you'all have a more familiar transition to the XL.

Dont have the XL but have an original MK 1 II and an AX8. Did all of my last years show with an AX8 and it was insanely more convenient for smaller clubs and tiny stages but most importantly, traveling. Its one less thing to carry where before i had a rack and a pedalboard.

I couldnt tell you the differences between the two other than what id assume is power features, but I already feel like i dont use the AX8 to its full potential and get by just fine.

I sold my AxeFX when I got the AX8. The convenience of just taking the pedal board that I have mounted the AX8 and an EV-1 vs. taking the AxeFX in a rack and the MFC/Expression pedal may seem like a small thing, but week after week using the AX8 at worship I have no regrets selling the AxeII. Less to cary, less to mess with setting up, and just all around easier.

I do not miss the AxeII one bit, but keep in mind that I do not need/use the extra features that the AxeFX II offers (audio interface, shooting IR's, Tone Match, dual amps/cabs, etc).

This is good info, and I appreciate the input. Seems 50/50 from the responses.

I've been using dual amps/cabs with the Ultra, and per the response from the congregation, the Ultra sounds fantastic. Maybe an MFC would open up some possibilities for me, as I'm not too keen on using the Behringer unit anymore. I don't use tone matching, and have not experimented with IRs.

I've read the AX8 can use two amps and cabs, if thats correct.

I use my AX8 mainly. I use it for all my gigging purposes and mainly at home as well. I play my XL sometimes but not very often. Just updated my XL to Q8.01 last night and will load up the new Bank A presets and take them for a spin this weekend.

I started on the Ultra, so have been gigging the rack units (Ultra, II, XL+) for about 6 years now. Maybe from familiarity, I still usually gig with the XL+ and use the AX8 at home and rehearsals. The XL+/MFC gives many more options than the AX8, but the AX8 is totally not lacking when it fits the gig. A friend who checked out my AX8 shelved his amp rig and gigs the AX8 in his band now, and it sounds great. I wouldn't be stressed if someone told me I could only use the AX8 from now on. Just have the luxury of the XL+, and I'm used to it. It's good to have choices!

Same here I use the AX8 at home to practice so I know what the end result will be on stage... for gigs....I use the AXE FX II to record with.....don't ask....& don't debate me the AXE FX II just sounds better to me in the DAW................it has this smooth kind of silky sound like it "belongs" there in the mix.....I'm no rocket scientist so I can't explain it...if I were to to guess I would say the pudding was in the interface........................

I sold my AFXII to get AX8. This has been the best move after i bought the Axe FX II. I love the floorboard solution more and for me, i haven't had problems with the less CPU power of AX8. It's plenty powerfull.

Love double tracking.
Do not have an MFC.

Thanks.

I'm also a P&W (Worship) player. Used the FX for a couple of years. Jumped at the AX8 and used it for 4 months and eventually got frustrated with running out of CPU resources. I supplemented the AX8 with an external Eventide H9 and EHX mPOG, but that kind of defeats the primary goal of the AX8 (compact and self-contained). I employed all the "tricks" to stay under 88% CPU, but often needed a bit more power. It was forcing me to build too many unique presets to accommodate a single song. I went back to the XL about 4 months ago and couldn't be happier. I have the XL in a 2U Gator case and the MFC in another case. It's not a lot more gear to carry and provides a lot more functionality. I have a master template that is filled with about everything I need to cover our catalog of songs. I've also noticed that things like the Pitch (my mPOG) sound better on the XL. They should sound the same, but I think the better processors in the XL help it track better. Could be in my head, but I'm very happy with the Pitch block in the XL, whereas I was always fighting it in the AX8.

Don't have a XL but I have a II Mark 1 and an AX8. I play the II at home and gig the AX8. The AX8 has a couple shortcomings -- longer lag when switching presets, CPU limitations (especially with reverb) and certain effects (such as sirens) that you can't replicate as well as with the II -- but it's so, so much more convenient.

I had the Axe Fx 2 and bought the Ax8 as soon as I could. It took maybe a couple of weeks to transfer everything and rewrite a few presets with dual amp blocks or lot of effects. Quite quickly after that though I just ended up playing my Ax8 all the time. Another couple of months after that I sold my Axe Fx 2 and haven't missed it one bit.

Axe-Fx II.

I cherish my all-in-one presets and special fx, and the total control I get with my RJM foot controller.

Love double tracking.
Do not have an MFC.

Thanks.

I had both, and an MFC which I used for weekly worship, among other things. I now only have the AX8 and do not miss the rack/MFC setup.

Back
Top Bottom