For those who have tried both... Shure PSM 900 or Sennheiser EW 300 G3?

cobbler

Fractal Fanatic
I am considering going the IEM route and was curious as to the pros and cons between the two systems from those who are familiar with them.

Thanks

I have owned both and I ended up with the Sennheiser as my choice. It is built well and the body pack is robust. I had a board go out on the shure receiver and so did a friend of mine. It appears they are more prone to road abuse problems but we may have been isolated cases on the problems. Both worked as they should otherwise. I run the sennheiser with Westone ES-5 IEM and I am happy with the results. My whole band is using this setup and they work together without any issues.

Yeah. I play from a chair and rolling around with cables has proven to be costly! :)

I am currently using the G90 for guitar.

Fair dues :encouragement:

Was just checking because many people automatically tend think "wireless" in such cases, when in truth, their application doesn't really call for it and there's arguably better results to be had from a wired set up :)

Craig,
I have the PSM 900. As good as they are, they are RF based and so you will experience dropouts and fritz.
I may be more victim of this than the average joe because of my environmental circumstance, but nonetheless, RF is RF and it has it's liabilities.
I have tested what I consider the ultimate in wireless and that is the Lectrosonic system. If I had both the cash and the motivation, I'd go for that. The system is digital, rock solid, sounds fabulous and is Lectrosonic, after all!
I have not tried the Sennheiser.
I hear that the PSM 1000 is better than the 900. But that's due to diversity.
Cheers and good luck.

Sennheiser FTW, Robust solid build long track record. For clarity The ear buds are what your going to need to spend money on.

I have some old Shure E5C buds that I was going to try before stepping up to something newer and better. At the time (2005) I think they were decent. Heck, I just got them for using with my IPOD and they were not cheap at the time either. :) The ultimate ear line looks pretty nice.

Craig,

FWIW - I use the Carvin EM900 (cheap!) and have no issues with the wireless portion over numerous gigs.
I do not use the buds that come with it, but use my Westone UM-1's.
Planning to upgrade to something like the 1964 Ears Quad drivers - if my current band goes down the digital/IEM route.
That's where you'll need more $$...

I can hear the compander in the Sennheiser too much for my taste. I wasn't blown away by the 900. I recommend the 1000 but if you can't afford that then I do think the Sennheiser is a better value.

I've tried both systems. As for me, PSM sounding just a little bit better in the low frequencies, less compressed may be. Both systems sounding really good, but my band chose Shure. Good luck!

I use the Line 6 G90 and did extensive testing, I've used both Sennheiser & Sure in the past and have to say the G90 is my preferred weapon of choice. Great quality, robust, sounds great.

I use the Line 6 G90 and did extensive testing, I've used both Sennheiser & Sure in the past and have to say the G90 is my preferred weapon of choice. Great quality, robust, sounds great.

I have the g90 for guitar. This thread is about In Ear Wireless systems. Thanks for the reply regardless.

I have the carvin em900 (have had for going on 3-4 years), I bought the e3 sennheiser to see if there was anything that justified the more than double price tag. The sennheiser was very noisy just turning it on with no signal coming in, just hiss, not related to volume just inherent hiss. I loved the syncing features, smaller pack, but not worth that money for no better audio performance. Would love to test the shure, but am happy with the carvin.

I've tried the EW300 and it's good, but IMO, does not justify the price. I've also used our sound guy's Audio Technica unit (though I don't remember the model) when my Galaxy 1100 was in the shop. The rest of the guys in my band use the Carvin system, though I haven't tried it myself.

I did not like the audio technica. Tiny DIP switches in the pack to turn anything on/off? Are you kidding? Luckily, I had a fingernail clipper at the gig and used the point on the file to flip them into stereo. I also the sound was lacking in the low mids.

The Galaxy 1100 is the best I've found so far, but it's not without caveats. I bought it second hand and initially had some issues like, signal popping, only get 2 sets out of a battery change, etc... Then a sound guy got a cable stuck in the back of it and I had to send it in for replacement. They replaced the entire board because that wasn't the only issue I guess. Now it's awesome. I get more than an entire night out of the batteries, it sounds great, and most of the popping issue has gone to the wayside. I should note that I now wear this on my actual belt, rather than my pocket, and I stuff my shirt under it. It doesn't have a solid antennae, so my when my shirt was hitting it, it would pop. Works great!

With ANY in ear system, watch how hot the signal to it is. The limiters are generally brick walls, so it's easy to slam them with signal and not get "enough" of everything or get pumping when it's just guitar and vocal, then the whole band kicks in and it distorts to hell. With a few units, you can turn the limiter off, but I don't think I've seen one with an adjustable limiter.

I have ran the EW300 G3, psm900, and the carvin em900 (rest of the band uses carvin's). I prefer the EW300 G3 because of it reliability.

The carvin em900s are a great value though.

I really would like an affordable digital solution through like the Lectrosonic, but more affordable.

I have ran the EW300 G3, psm900, and the carvin em900 (rest of the band uses carvin's). I prefer the EW300 G3 because of it reliability.

The carvin em900s are a great value though.

I really would like an affordable digital solution through like the Lectrosonic, but more affordable.

Affordable Digital IEM's are the holy grail.

Back
Top Bottom