For those who have gone AxeFX II to AX8 for live workflow...

I still haven't come up with a good strategy for switching off my II to the Ax8.

I use the FCB1010 in stompbox mode, so I control 8 scenes along the bottom row (with the second click function, I add a solo scene to each selection) and run effects along the top.

Most of what I do can be MIDI controlled via ableton, as our show is largely tracked, but I just haven't had the time to sit down and make a bunch of different patches to be automatically changed.

The lack of CPU is what mainly bummed me out. I liked having most of what I needed in a single patch, in case the automated stuff broke down. Most of my existing automation just sends CC's for scene changes on a single patch, not program changes.

I'll admit a lot of it is just general laziness. But at this point I might just stay with the II. I got the AX8 thinking it would make things easier for me, but I think I was wrong about that. Not the fault of the unit, of course, just incorrect reasoning on my part.

Last edited:
I think it would be great at this point if Fractal updated the MFC's functionality up to at least parity with the AX8 and FX8's switching capabilities.
  • 3 LEDs per switch - red for scenes, green for IA toggle, yellow for X/Y by default
  • Each switch recognizing both tap and hold commands
And while we're here, I would also happily buy a Fractal-made 1U rack unit with identical AX8-style amp controls.

Last edited:
I've just switched from the AxeFx II + MCF101 to the AX8.
For my style of playing, I only miss the multi band compressor and a having a dual synth and pitch blocks.
It's very solid, so it's a rather heavy unit. Too bad for my dream to carry it as hand luggage.
Apart from that, I'm very happy about it.
If you really know what you need and you want less things to carry, it's a good choice.

Mine is on the way. I also have a used Kemper too. I will probably keep both as I can just about cover them both when I sell my Axe II XL+ and MFC MkIII.

Chris is right - I tried the Helix - and aside from the "Helix Hiss" / Squirrels and meh tones ...the single biggest downside for me was the user interface.....bizarre, as this was supposedly state-of-the-art - but after years of AXE use I really struggled with it - so it went back and I was delighted when the AX8 arrived. You should buy the AX8 trust me.
I love the interface. It was m favorite part and super easy. I am still waiting on the AX8 to arrive so I only have trial comments there. I will reserve comparison for later. As for the Helix Hiss it is easily taken care of. It is improper settings between devices. As for the tones they are there but take work. I have amazing tones set up and constantly get compliments live. But there are reasons for me getting an AX8 as well. Part of it is exactly the issue above. I don't feel like taking so much time to get tones. I want them with just a tiny bit of tweaking and AX8 seems to be the ticket there. Plus Helix is mysteriously lacking in amps/cabs and effects and has added very little since launch. Hike I I'll never use half of what AX8 offers I at least have the selections there. I really dislike when people slam one product or the other. All of what I call the big 3 have pluses and minuses and it really depends on an individual's tastes and desires. I have been around the audio industry for years, initially taking the studio recording classes at Omega Studios in Maryland I between my time on the road doing PRo audio. Sound and gear is subjective.i have had gear I hated that others made work for them and sounded great. I have also heard tones I thought sucked that make a final recording and people loved it. I am not slamming the original poster. He just conveyed his personal experience and thoughts. I just wanted to point out another opinion.

All of,this aside I am super excited to join the AX8 user club. As I stated in another thread, it was a Brit Floyd show that so,d me on Fractal Audio. I could not believe how good that show sounded using AXFX. For now the Helix will remain my church rig while I learn and experiment with the AX8. We need a second processor so within a week or two the AX8 will be going live as well. I think it's going to be fun.

I kinda miss how many buttons were on the MFC. But then again, I probably only used 8. I just dont know what to set my F switches for...i usually just turn them off and use one preset. one show, they got nudged and my preset changed and unlike the MFC, it was easily able to tell other than i had different blocks in the patch.

I miss big display of what the patch is, i dont really need to know what blocks are on since i have the LEDS to go on.

FWIW

I've owned a Kemper, Axe-FX II XL+, Helix, and AX8.
Each has a lot of strengths... as well as weaker points.
All are capable of great (or poor) results. That's down to the knowledge/experience of the end-user.

I sold the Kemper and Axe-FX II XL+
Not because I didn't like them... but because the form-factor of Helix and AX8 fit my situation better.

I'm not here to defend any company's products... but I can't relate to a lot of the negative comments.
My experience has been positive with all the above.

If you just play thru the presets... and don't spend time getting to know the details, you'll likely think Helix sucks.
That was my initial impression.
The presets are terrible. By comparison, the AX8 presets are light-years better and more applicable.
I don't find Helix to be noisy at all. I think the UI is the best of the bunch.

If you just listen to the included profiles in the Kemper, you may think it's just ok/mediocre.
I almost returned it.
After checking out some Michael Britt profiles... as well as profiling some of my favorite tube-amps (setup and mic'd to my liking), it was a whole different experience.
The "toaster" looks weird (at first), but the UI is pretty easy to navigate.

The Axe-FX and AX8 are deep products.
Support and updates are amazing.
The UI on the AX8 (IMO) is a step forward from the Axe-FX.
I like the deeper amp editing options on the Fractal products.
The Cab section is where I struggle a bit. I find a lot of the stock cabs not to my liking.
The "Brown Sound" is a good example of an Amp/Cab combination that (to me) sounds excellent.
I need to spend more time getting into the details of the Cab block.

I like having options...
No different than having/playing different guitars or different amps.

...anything you miss about the AxeFX II? I've got a AxeFX II XL+ and have owned AxeFX rack units for a while now. Before I was using the Liquid Foot Jr and now I've been using the MFC. 90% of what I do with it is for live use in cover band situation...maybe 12 times a year. With an AX8, I wouldn't need the stand for the AxeFX nor would I need the MFC. I'd drop two pieces to carry in. I jumped on the waiting list.

FWIW...I'm not huge on effects and I'm not going for exact tone matches of the songs we do. My current patch workflow has 4-5 rigs per patch via 2 amp/cabs, X/Y, and Scenes. I know I'll lose that and have to go to separate patches. Beyond that, anything else I may miss?
I was thinking the exact same thing in debating to sell my AxeFXII for an AX8. Two less things to carry.

How much less powerful is the CPU in the AX8 vs. the AxeFX-II? I have a lot of patches that hit 70%-80% CPU on my AxeFX-II.

Back
Top Bottom