For those waiting, what are you using?

Have you try to put the Amplifire in the return loop of one of your amp? This way, you bypass your amp preamp and use the amplifire preamp. Be sure to turn cab sim off with this scenario. This is the best way to compare both IMHO.
I appreciate the suggestion. I haven't done this. Thought about it and decided not to [let me know if this is faulty logic] because I'm pretty much a one sound guy so bypassing a real 2204 preamp for a model of one didn't make sense. If I was using two or more amps, I could see it. However, is there some value in this in terms up settings on the Amplifire? The biggest complaint I have with the Amplifire is feel...it's really stiff compared to my amp. Beyond that, I was not happy with the tone I was getting through the CLR but I'd guess there's some matter of eq that can eventually solve that. The main idea behind modeling for me is to reduce the size of my rig. That's why--if amp modeling would not feel and sound right my next choice would be my amp with a reactive load and cab sims/IRs.
Just keep in mind that most of the modelers are great silent recording solutions. You don't need to crank an amp in another room, find the perfect spot for miking etc.
And those hint at the other advantages I'm looking for:
- consistent tone going to FOH and
- ability to practice in headphones (I haven't gotten into home recording yet, but gig with two bands)

Also, keep in mind that you're probably VERY used to the feel of your 2204. The AmpliFIRE will never feel exactly like your 2204, just like a Fender Twin or Mesa DualRec will feel completely different.

I think @dupere11497's suggestion to try the return of your 2204 is still a valid one. If you get your "feel" back, that will tell you how much the power amp is contributing to the equation for you and help you make informed choices going forward.

I appreciate the suggestion. I haven't done this. Thought about it and decided not to [let me know if this is faulty logic] because I'm pretty much a one sound guy so bypassing a real 2204 preamp for a model of one didn't make sense. If I was using two or more amps, I could see it. However, is there some value in this in terms up settings on the Amplifire? The biggest complaint I have with the Amplifire is feel...it's really stiff compared to my amp. Beyond that, I was not happy with the tone I was getting through the CLR but I'd guess there's some matter of eq that can eventually solve that. The main idea behind modeling for me is to reduce the size of my rig. That's why--if amp modeling would not feel and sound right my next choice would be my amp with a reactive load and cab sims/IRs.

And those hint at the other advantages I'm looking for:
- consistent tone going to FOH and
- ability to practice in headphones (I haven't gotten into home recording yet, but gig with two bands)
You probably don't like the sound of the CLR because you are use to the in the room sound of your amp! You are not use to FRFR sound. Don't expect to get this in the room feel and sound out of any FRFR system, it won't happens no matter how good your system is. I would still suggest you try tour amplifire in the return of your amp! This way you can evaluate the authencity of the tone and feel you get from the device vs your amp! If it's close enough, then you know it's not the amplifire the problem but the way you use it!

Also, keep in mind that you're probably VERY used to the feel of your 2204. The AmpliFIRE will never feel exactly like your 2204, just like a Fender Twin or Mesa DualRec will feel completely different.

I think @dupere11497's suggestion to try the return of your 2204 is still a valid one. If you get your "feel" back, that will tell you how much the power amp is contributing to the equation for you and help you make informed choices going forward.
Gotcha. I will try that then. Thanks for your help. I do think that the CLR (and especially my lack of experience with modeling and FRFR) is part of the problem. It sounded harsh in front of the speaker but off axis it was pretty good. I had decent experiences with my HD500, however that was in IEMs, so not apples and apples.

I really appreciate you guys helping me out. I realize that ultimately you can't tell me at what point my patience with the learning curve is going send me back to my amp and this gear onto ebay.

As far as the AX8 is concerned, I'm really battling my impulsive nature. I could have a Torpedo Live here in a couple of days compared to waiting for "soon" to come.

You probably don't like the sound of the CLR because you are use to the in the room sound of your amp! You are not use to FRFR sound. Don't expect to get this in the room feel and sound out of any FRFR system, it won't happens no matter how good your system is. I would still suggest you try tour amplifire in the return of your amp! This way you can evaluate the authencity of the tone and feel you get from the device vs your amp! If it's close enough, then you know it's not the amplifire the problem but the way you use it!
With a little help from benvigil, I now understand your point. Thanks! I will check it out!

Haha. Oh wait... You may potentially be serious...

bieber-sorry-gif.gif

Still using my trusty Axe FX Ultra. The Axe FX 2 has been prohibitively expensive for me, so i have not been able to purchase one. When i saw the form factor and the price, i immediately put myself on the waiting list at G66

Rockin' it retro with the Axe standard.
Also made a foray back into (semi)tube-land on a H&K grandmeister 36 as I needed a live rig and the MFC was backordered for months at the time.
Looking forward to some AX8 fun! Way down on the list, though - doh.

vox tone lab se/le- vox vtx150- vox ad 60 and 120 vtx amps- suhr PT100 amp..line6 mk2 spidervalve 2-12 combo...blackstar id260 combo and idcore40 combo. Fender cybertwin se combo...adrenelinn 3...roland vg99..

I won't even mention selling my Mark II when I interpreted late October as late October. So for now a Carol Ann OD3R and a POS HD500 that is falling apart daily.

Mine currently:
Love my Tim overdrive. My boards have bounced back and forth between analog and digital and lots of pedals have come and gone, but this one has stayed...since 2004. Trying to tweak a sound-alike on my FX-8 but there's something about the mids I can't exactly mimic.

Last edited:
Love my Tim overdrive. My boards have bounced back and forth between analog and digital and lots of pedals have come and gone, but this one has stayed...since 2004. Trying to tweak a sound-alike on my FX-8 but there's something about the mids I can't exactly mimic.
Agree! Had a FX-8 and eventually sold it as I couldn't get a good edge of break-up sound of it. My Tim pedal does that marvellously. I'm expecting to be able to get a more realistic tone now that I can use amp sim instead.

Last edited:
Just sent my waitlist request in yesterday! So, you all will definitely get your AX8 before me! And I am 100% ok with that :)

I just got my Helix recently after a 1.5month preorder wait from Sweetwater. And it's fantastic. Love it, just barely scratched the surface. Also have a killer stompbox pt pro sized board going with a bunch of Keeley fx, some Fulltone, Voodoo lab switcher (and Mondo power underneath), with a wireless, etc. Love it for simplicity albeit tons of tone options. Use that one with a DT25 amp, when I jam with the guys on Friday nights. Still have my Eleven Rack and HD500x too, though with Helix in the house, those last aren't getting as much attention!

I use a pair of L2t speakers primarily, also have a pair of L3m, going to crank those up with Helix this weekend.

All that said, will definitely save up my $$ for when the AX8 invite comes along!

Cheers, ya'all

Just ordered a new Zoom G5N. Waiting on it to ship. I didn't get on the list until November 29, so I figured I'd try this budget modeler out in the mean time.

Any other Zoom G series users in here?

Back
Top Bottom