For those that have an Axe-Fx III and an FM3

I'm gonna gatecrash this thread rather than start a new one. I'm new on this forum, have a fm3 available end of Jan, but am thinking I might go all out and get the fx3. From my reading on here I don't think many will tell me to do otherwise? I'm not currently playing in a band (as most people in the world right now) so looking for something to use in studio setting but with option to use live too. Big chunk of cash for either product where I live (Ireland). Any help or advice much appreciated

I got both too. If budget and portability are not an issue, the answer is easy.

IMHO, the FM3 would be enough for many average use cases though. However, AF is a must for:

1. Tone chasing: FM3 is not capable of dual amps, ultra-res, new drive algorithm, tone match, extremelly long FX chains, etc. Importance of each of these features is highly dependant on the specific player.
2. Multi-instrument: AFIII is capable of driving several players at once (two guitars, two guitars+vocals, two guitars and bass... you name it).
3. Seamless scene changes: although gap is short and manageable in the FM3 and it is also capable of seamless changes under some circumstances, the AFIII takes a big advantage here.
4. Complex connection setups.

IMHO, the FM3 would be enough for many average use cases though. However, AF is a must for:

1. Tone chasing: FM3 is not capable of dual amps, ultra-res, new drive algorithm, tone match, extremelly long FX chains, etc. Importance of each of these features is highly dependant on the specific player.
2. Multi-instrument: AFIII is capable of driving several players at once (two guitars, two guitars+vocals, two guitars and bass... you name it).
3. Seamless scene changes: although gap is short and manageable in the FM3 and it is also capable of seamless changes under some circumstances, the AFIII takes a big advantage here.
I can afford either. Well once I sell my boogie head😜😜
I'm not 100% I get this two amp thing a few people have mentioned..? Is this having two amps combined in one scene?

I can afford either. Well once I sell my boogie head😜😜
I'm not 100% I get this two amp thing a few people have mentioned..? Is this having two amps combined in one scene?
Yep, that's it. Two amp blocks working at the same time. This can be useful for combining them for a particular combined (stereo) tone, or for a totally seamless transition between two different amp models (switching models inside a single amp block takes a split second gap).

So do you own both?

Yes. I had an Hx effects I would use for my tube amp but sold it and got an FM3 - more effects and amp models just in case. I've had the III but wanted to see if I could get by with just the FM3. I could do it but I miss out on a couple things - want things, not need things. The III also allows me to use a violin synth preset that I'm fond of along with everything else.

If I had to choose the III wins but I could make the FM3 work for every situation that I NEED.

Not sure of your situation but with the Mark I dropping in used price I would buy one for the $700 or so more as you get more than twice the FM3 in the III. If you won't use so much that will push you into the III then get the FM3 as you will not tell a difference soundwise. I could before the 15 firmware update but since then the difference has faded to black.

So do you own both?

Yes. I had an Hx effects I would use for my tube amp but sold it and got an FM3 - more effects and amp models just in case. I've had the III but wanted to see if I could get by with just the FM3. I could do it but I miss out on a couple things - want things, not need things. The III also allows me to use a violin synth preset that I'm fond of along with everything else.

If I had to choose the III wins but I could make the FM3 work for every situation that I NEED.

Not sure of your situation but with the Mark I dropping in used price I would buy one for the $700 or so more as you get more than twice the FM3 in the III. If you won't use so much that will push you into the III then get the FM3 as you will not tell a difference soundwise. I could before the 15 firmware update but since then the difference has faded to black.
I wish the prices would drop! No such thing in Ireland or Europe man. I am keeping an eye on a few sites for a used one perhaps. I'm definitely leaning towards the iii. Just sold my mesa boogie mark v 25. My current rig is a boss katana 50😜😜😜😜😜😜😜

Yep, that's it. Two amp blocks working at the same time. This can be useful for combining them for a particular combined (stereo) tone, or for a totally seamless transition between two different amp models (switching models inside a single amp block takes a split second gap).
I would have never felt I'd need to blend two amps if I'm being honest but I can imagine it's very impressive wall of sound you get with this.

I have both the III and FM3 and both are fab! Yes, there are some CPU challenges with the FM3 but when looking at the optionality I have in my AxeIII presets, many are nice to have but rarely used. The form factor/ease of the FM3 (with FC6) will make gigging easier - whenever live gigs start happening again! The AxeIII with FC 12 is a great setup and I have loved using it over the last year plus. I find myself of late tweaking patches for the FM3 for future live gigs - and excited to haul less gear and make a set-up so easy. Both are great...depends on what you want/need.

I'm simple. Guitar > Amp > Cab/IR > Reverb. Sometimes a boost or fuzz, sometimes delay. On very rare occasions, a wah or vibe.
For my needs, the FM3 is perfect. I do hope it gets the new drive models, though, even if they require disproportionate CPU allocation!

Would I like an Axe III? Definitely. Would the extra capabilities change what or how I play? Not at all. I prefer the price and easy set-up of the FM3.

I have a III that I got when they were first released and continue to enjoy it! Simply a fantastic unit.
I really was not expecting to like the FM3 as much but after using it several times now at rehearsals and getting to know the unit a bit more, I really, really like it. The 3 buttons are completely useful when you understand how it all works.

I only need to take it with me to rehearsals and I am good to go. Whenever gigs happen again, I will probably use the FM3 and bring the Axe III along for a backup or vice versa depending upon where we are playing. Either way, all is covered nicely and I get consistent reliable tone each time.

So you say there is really big difference in gap between ax3 vs fm3 ?

I am using at the moment ax8 and gap is very bad playing live .... I would like to upgrade and this gap is a game changer for me.

So you say there is really big difference in gap between ax3 vs fm3 ?

I am using at the moment ax8 and gap is very bad playing live .... I would like to upgrade and this gap is a game changer for me.
I seem to remember there is actually a shorter gap in the AFXIII vs FM3. However, for seamless switching the key feature in the AFXIII is the ability to have more blocks (two amps, several drives) in order to arrange two separate signal paths and perform scene changes with bypass/MUX/Mixer selecting the appropriate path vs. switching channels. Channel switching has a short gap for some blocks (amps) in both devices.

I have had the FM3 for about 5 months now and have enjoyed it so much, I am considering adding an FXIII. I tend to bump into CPU limits while noodling with presets in the studio and think that the FXIII would be great to have for these sessions. But, once it goes into the rack, it's not coming out, so the FM3 will stick around as the perfect platform for playing out.

So, anyone care to talk me out of the FXIII? My wife would certainly appreciate it!

With cygnus now on the FM3 what's the general consensus on tone comparison? Are you giving up sound quality / feel with the FM3? Is the Axe III channel switching significantly faster? I'm coming from AX8 and trying to decide on a replacement. I'm currently auditioning AXE III with FC-12 and I absolutely love it. I just wish it were more portable.

To me, killer feature of AX3 is ability to use 4 IRs in the cab block. I could build acoustically rich stereo tone, which I couldn't match using 2 IRs.
But I am a big sound snob :)

I currently have both. The Axe Fx 3 since it's first released and and just recently (right before Cygnus was released for it) an FM3. My main application for these things are for live gigs. As far as sounds go, both sound great. I don't feel that one sounds better than the other. YMMV
Some sacrifices obviously have to be made in terms of the amount of blocks used, but I have not missed a beat with replacing the Axe Fx3 with an FM3, as my main live tool.

Buy two Axe Fx IIIIs. One in a carrying case and the other at home in a rack. I would rather lug around an extra Axe then have limited capabilities live. I’d pay for a full floor version (like the Helix), whatever it would cost and hopefully it would be as big as the Cortex…

Back
Top Bottom