For those that have an Axe-Fx III and an FM3

This is an example in opposite direction: AX8 was significantly lagging in updates, though it was explained by larger platform difference, which is not the case between FX3 and FM3 in my understanding.
Not true. The AX8 received regular updates keeping pace with, and usually within a week or two of, the Axe II. The only updates people are up in arms about are the bug fixes and the "promise" of ARES 2.0. Search the forum for past updates and Fractal's actual comments regarding the AX8 and you'll discover a lot of what's being said by others is not what happened or "promised".

Not true. The AX8 received regular updates keeping pace with, and usually within a week or two of, the Axe II. The only updates people are up in arms about are the bug fixes and the "promise" of ARES 2.0. Search the forum for past updates and Fractal's actual comments regarding the AX8 and you'll discover a lot of what's being said by others is not what happened or "promised".
Probably I am wrong. I read this story somewhere on forums, and don't have personal experience. It will be my first fractal device.

Probably I am wrong. I read this story somewhere on forums, and don't have personal experience. It will be my first fractal device.
Welcome to the club! I bought the AX8 not long after its release and had the opportunity to experience a lot of the updates.

There's a lot of stories going around and a number of members are disgruntled because of the AX8's relatively short lifespan (compared to the other Fractal devices), that ARES 2.0 hasn't been ported to it, and some bugs that are unresolved. Some of these members were later adopters and didn't get to experience the updates, just the results of them, but feel cheated because there hasn't been any further updates. Others have been around awhile and can be vocal and quite convincing; misquoting or misinterpreting things said by FAS. Most of the frustration seems to stem from these members not getting the information they want in the way they want it.

When it comes to the forum, any information, updates, or news regarding the status of a unit or software, I only trust FractalAudio, Admin M@, Michael Pickens and BryantP. I also trust what moderators like iaresee, yek and Rex have to say for the most part. Most anyone else claiming to know something are usually drawing their own conclusions without any real knowledge of the facts.

It's a bit overwhelming at first, learning who to trust and who to ignore. Just have fun and ask questions. Most here are willing and wanting to help other users. All of us were new to Fractal at one point and had (and may still have) a lot of the same questions and struggles you may encounter.

Last edited:
Been playing more tonight with the FM3, you can do an awful lot with it. Even with the reverb block.

Pulling out the reverb will give me plenty of grunt.

Love the form factor

I currently own an FX3, and expect my FM3 will arrive late September. The way I see it, the FM3 is small multitool you bring with you when the entire toolbox is too much hassle. I'm most likely to use the FM3 for practice and eventual flying single gigs, and the FX3 for gigs within driving range, bigger shows, or studio use. But who knows, I might find the FM3 will suffice for everything and get rid of the FX3. For now at least, with the scene being completely dead, I think both will pretty much just gather dust at home.

Got AX3 shortly after it was relased,and also in my possetions are two FM3s both with/without headphone jack versions.
I think what you prefer to choose from 3 and M3 depends on which type of music you do. In my case, according to those
Korean songs I play it needs switching back and forth among scenes. Need almost 8 scenes per song and therefore with FM3
I expierenced mistakes several times in a gig without pairing FC6. Carrying 3U sized 3 with FC6 does not much bother me.

Last edited:
My FM3 will arrive later this week. I've had the Axe FX III for about a year and it's not going anywhere. It's just too good. The FM3 will be perfect for rehearsals (less stuff to carry), small gigs or jams with friends, family room noodling with headphones and backup.

My FM3 will arrive later this week. I've had the Axe FX III for about a year and it's not going anywhere. It's just too good. The FM3 will be perfect for rehearsals (less stuff to carry), small gigs or jams with friends, family room noodling with headphones and backup.
Took the words out of my mouth.. extremely pleased with my AxeFxIII ... The FM3 is coming tomorrow and will fill in the gaps you mentioned. Love this company....

How about a module with 3 footswitches or even an FC-6 that has the extra CPU horsepower needed to make the FM3 more Axe-III ish. It could hookup to the extra USB we aren't using on the FM3, would need separate firmware though? Just $1099.99 get on the waitlist now!

I'm gonna gatecrash this thread rather than start a new one. I'm new on this forum, have a fm3 available end of Jan, but am thinking I might go all out and get the fx3. From my reading on here I don't think many will tell me to do otherwise? I'm not currently playing in a band (as most people in the world right now) so looking for something to use in studio setting but with option to use live too. Big chunk of cash for either product where I live (Ireland). Any help or advice much appreciated

Any help or advice much appreciated

Depends on what all you will use. You will hit a limit on the FM3 at roughly 9 ish normal effects and a Reverb. You can use the Plex Delay to get a Reverbish effect with less CPU usage. If you will not be using that many effects the FM3 works great and with the last update in firmware it's no different in sound. If you will use more or two guitar paths in the future playing out then the III is for you. I have a fully packed main line 1 for my electric as well as another path for my piezo (PRS P245) and run them both on the III with no issues. I cannot use the same preset path layout on my FM3. Close but no reverb and no detune (for playing flat without changing guitars)

It really depends on how taxing your presets will be.

Depends on what all you will use Close but no reverb and no detune

I like the idea of being able to use it live but mainly for recording purposes.
Depends on what all you will use. You will hit a limit on the FM3 at roughly 9 ish normal effects and a Reverb. You can use the Plex Delay to get a Reverbish effect with less CPU usage. If you will not be using that many effects the FM3 works great and with the last update in firmware it's no different in sound. If you will use more or two guitar paths in the future playing out then the III is for you. I have a fully packed main line 1 for my electric as well as another path for my piezo (PRS P245) and run them both on the III with no issues. I cannot use the same preset path layout on my FM3. Close but no reverb and no detune (for playing flat without changing guitars)

It really depends on how taxing your presets will be.
Thanks for reply.

I like the idea of being able to use it live but mainly for recording purposes. So do you own both? Such a hard decision, selling a lot of gear for this so want to make right decision... A lot of people have both on here it seems. Decisions decisions

I'm gonna gatecrash this thread rather than start a new one. I'm new on this forum, have a fm3 available end of Jan, but am thinking I might go all out and get the fx3. From my reading on here I don't think many will tell me to do otherwise? I'm not currently playing in a band (as most people in the world right now) so looking for something to use in studio setting but with option to use live too. Big chunk of cash for either product where I live (Ireland). Any help or advice much appreciated
I have both and if I had to choose one over the other, it would be the Axe Fx III hands down. Granted, you will likely need a controller for live use but the only reason I would choose the FM3 over the Axe III is if I had to fly for any gigs. There's no other reason I can think of to choose the FM3 over the Axe III if given the option.

I think what will define which unit you want is 1 or 2 amps and how many effects you want to run at the same time.
The FM 3 is awesome and I use it a lot live. It does what I need.
For more complex stuff, tone-matching, 2 amps-setups, super ambient stuff - the III rules.

Edit: For my main gigs, I will definitely go with the III. With an FC 12 and 3 expression pedals - dream rig!

Back
Top Bottom