For those that have an Axe-Fx III and an FM3

I use both units. For me the size and the power of the FM3 is key. I am spoiled with a reliable unit that can fit in a gig bag. It is easy to sit in with another band, travel (and fly one day) with all gear, guitar and clothes in the overhead or at least in an overhead size piece of luggage, setup and line check and enjoy a beverage in the first 5 mins of arriving at my destination. I am also using the FM3 and the Axe III with Protools. The units work great as a DAW making it easy to just plug in my iLok to record. To be completely honest the FM3 has already met and exceeded my needs and expectations with the amp and cab blocks. I just wanted a small version of the Axe III that had the amps, cabs and some basic FX so I could enjoy playing the guitar without sacrificing the quality of sound I was accustom to on the III. All that to say that the I still wouldn't part with either unit. Ever.
You are the intended demographic. A lot of people are expecting (and even strangely demanding) an Axe-Fx III in small floor unit and at half the price. Doesn't work that way. A Porsche Boxster isn't a 911 no matter how much you think it should be. There's a reason it's half the price.

You are the intended demographic. A lot of people are expecting (and even strangely demanding) an Axe-Fx III in small floor unit and at half the price. Doesn't work that way. A Porsche Boxster isn't a 911 no matter how much you think it should be. There's a reason it's half the price.

And like a Boxter, the FM3 is kickass!

And what about an axe fx III in a larger floor unit at full price? Will it ever happen? 🧐

Just sold my AX8 yesterday and given that I'm not expecting my dealer to receive any FM3s for the remainder of the year (even Q1/Q2 2021), if a larger, more powerful floor unit closer to the full AFX III will happen, then I'm all in and could wait a little longer. ;)

And what about an axe fx III in a larger floor unit at full price? Will it ever happen? 🧐
Performance Mode controls will be on the floor.:pensive: Where are the FC-12 and expression pedals going to live? It would be pretty massive and more expensive.

A floor unit closer to the FX3 than the FM3 would make all our FM3s redundant. And good luck making a good deal selling the FM3. I'm happy with my FM3 but do feel there's a bigger gap to the FX3 than the AX8 to the FX2. Here's hoping the gap lessens in future upgrades. 😊

Look man, if’n the Axe IV ain’t all holographic ‘n shit ... I mean I gots’ta fill the amp enda’room brah ... knowwhatimasayin’? 🤔

I expected the FM3 to be less powerful in trade for portability, but I thought I would be able to easily move patches between units - i.e. use my AF3 at home most of the time for practicing & recording, but then when I have a gig, just copy my patches over to the FM3 (assuming I’ve stayed reasonably under the CPU limit) and head out. That hasn’t been the case. Leaving the differences in updates aside, even carefully-crafted patches (smaller grid, low CPU) don’t translate cleanly - something always seems to break in translation for me.

I’m still happy with the unit for what it is, as I have a complete rig on my pedalboard and great tone, but it would be nice if the patches moved cleanly between units.

I've been pleasantly surprised how many of my Axe III presets have been able to use with the FM3. After removing blocks not in the FM3, (Reverb 2 etc...) the presets have imported just fine.

I've also been very pleased that I'm able to do more with the FM3 than I was with the AX8. I haven't needed to trim presets or tweak effect quality like was necessary on the AX8. As far as the gap to the III compared to the AX8 to the II, can't really say. All I know is there has not been near the increase in preset CPU from the III to the FM3 that I expected.

I am in the more sensible camp of wanting a floor unit with full Axe III capabilities (could maybe sacrifice some of the external routing, if necessary), with at least 6 foot switches, not worried about an expanded form factor, and would happily pay Axe III + FC6 pricing (and probably more). I just need a super quick to break down and setup, grab and go, floor unit that is not compromised on capabilities or updates. I got really really close to moving over to the Kemper Stage for this reason, but it just could not touch the Axe III for me. And I am keeping an eye on the Neural DSP Quad Cortex, but it sounds too good to be true and I am not getting my hopes up.

So I basically want a full fledged, trackable 911 that is also a great daily driver and can fit my kids in the back and haul golf clubs and snow skis and is a convertible. But that ain't happening so I had to 'settle' for a M4 to check all of those boxes, which it did so freaking well (the ultimate cake eater car!). But then I had to get rid of that due to an unexpected third kid. So along came the E63 AMGs. But the 911 is still and will always the dream car however impractical it is for me.

Where am I going with all of this? Well first damn you for getting me back on my car kick! And two, at least it could be theoretically possible to pull off Axe III capabilities in an understandably larger floor unit and comparable price point to the III + FC6. On the other hand, a family hauling sedan can never ever be anything close enough to a 911 (or M4). But at least I can fantasize about having my cake and eating it too in my Fractal dreams. I could run with this into a really good dirty pun that I just teed up, but am going to try to refrain unless I get at least two strong requests.

I've been an early adopter III user (and love it) FM3 arrives tomorrow, I think with a couple of external pedals it will work for me (I'm a home user), I don't need to save the money and space - but it would be nice

Looking forward to comparing

What's the current wait time on the Axe III? I moved up from a II XL+ to the FM-3, which is great and all, but with no gigs forthcoming the rack thing fits my current needs better. I wish I could keep both, but my two project cars say otherwise.

Well, this has brought up some really good answers, I appreciate it. You've definitely helped me realize there's no good reason to give up on the FX III. I'm not dying for space and don't need to gig.

Thanks

A lot of people are expecting (and even strangely demanding) an Axe-Fx III in small floor unit and at half the price.

I just wanted to know
1. If the updates to the flagship's effects blocks are going to be coming to the FM3, and
2. If those updates will take a long time from when the III gets them.

Looks like the answers are
1. Not really, maybe with concessions.
2. If Yes, then yes, a long time.

Anyways, I'll make the most of it either way.

Thanks for the product.

My story in a nutshell:
  • used to have a studio, then we relocated and I got the spare bedroom
  • wife got tired of running thru an obstacle course because of my amps and pedals; she suggested that I get a modeler
  • put myself on the FM3 waiting list in November
  • was able to trade one of my extra guitars for an FX3 in December. Got an FC6 and a couple expression pedals, sold my old pedals.
  • got my FM3 invite today, but I’m going to pass. If I was still gigging I’d jump on the FM3, but I haven’t gigged in 5 years. I was supposed to gig this past July, but of course that got postponed. So with that in mind I’ll be sticking solely with the FX3.

I am also thinking about choice between FM3 and FX3, and another benefit of FX3 is potential longevity: because of 4x more processing power, Fractal may be able to fit new algorithms for longer into FX3.

I think the longevity point isn't the right way of looking at it - since the II and the AX8 lasted pretty well!

I've had the III since the first shipment into Europe.

Got my FM3 over the weekend

I'm selling the III

Why?

The III is absolutely awesome and I love it, when I first started the FM3 I was disappointed in the power - really easy to run out of power, only two drive blocks etc.

On my III I'm regularly running at 80%+

Then I paused and looked again, I'm going to use an external reverb pedal with the FM3, that pulls down the power a lot - and if I change how I do presets, I don't need 4 drive blocks, 3 different modulations etc many of my III presets have become bloated because of the processing power available - and actually just having a much simpler set-up, with my KoT in front of the FM3 for the boosts (Which works great), I'm good to go.

So the discipline of just looking at what I really need in a patch is great, and I find it stimulating - the FM3 sounds really good.

For the odd sound I think I'll miss the III, but really I don't need dual amps etc. I'm a simple rock and blues guy, and the chance to have a much smaller set-up even at home - is a real benefit to me.

The purity of the thought process with the FM3 really appeals, it's a great gigging tool and that what I really want, rather than 'kitchen sinking' every preset.

My III rig was a III, two EV pedals, a FC6 and a FC12 - sometimes I was adding effects just to use the foot switches! :)

I'm going to FM3, two EV pedals and a FC6 - and looking forward to it.
My take - if you need the power the III is an obvious winner, but don't think the FM3 is capable of absolutely everything 98% of people need, especially with one or two external pedals

since the II and the AX8 lasted pretty well!

This is an example in opposite direction: AX8 was significantly lagging in updates, though it was explained by larger platform difference, which is not the case between FX3 and FM3 in my understanding.

I'm considering going the other way: FM3 to FX3. I've got the FM3, expect to get an FX3 shortly (waitlist). While the FM3 sounds fabulous and the FX block count is excellent, and portability great: Still: There are a couple of factors that compel me to consider moving up to the FX3:

1. Lots of studio grade functionality; Including extensive IR and Cablab features, SPDIF I/O, RTA, etc. I work a lot in studios (not just my own stuff). I don't necessarily prefer the pedal form factor over rack mount for an MFX.

2. No live shows at this point: But, there's still bound to be a snake pit of cabling under foot with the FM3 parked mid stage, and worrying about doofuses tripping, dropping stuff, spilling on it. With an FX3 - safely in the wings - and just having one cable to an FC6, plus a short feed to an expression pedal seems more convenient to me than lightening the load in a little: 3RU isn't that herky. Any way you slice it: I need one of them, but probably not both. We'll see.

3. I wouldn't say no to being closer to the cutting edge of the product enhancements.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom