For those struggling with FW18 - my own experience...

I had this problem happen a few times when reverting to backups as well. I just had to run the update again.
It's not like the download is bad, it's almost like something gets skipped during the actual update, or fails, or errors and just does not install properly.
just assumed it was par for the course.

I still am a computer scientist, and just yesterday I downloaded an .ISO image of SUSE Linux for a client, and it appeared to be OK, and when I went to install it as a virtual machine, it had all sorts of problems.

I had downloaded it with chrome. I downloaded it again with the same results. This is a 3 gig ISO image. So, on a whim, I downloaded it with Internet Explorer 11, and then it was fine.

This illustrates that sometimes downloads can appear to be OK, but may still have some corruption that wasn't initially detected.

Just another observation. So if your update doesn't perform as expected, and is completely terrible, it may have had just a little corruption that caused a problem. Download it from the web again, and maybe use a different browser, and then perform the upgrade again.

Please don't be offended by me, but (stop reading after the but if you are sensitive :) ) to prevent download issues as you described, you have to commit every file with checksum comparison. So no Voodoo is involved.
I work also in the IT and bla...
We use checksum as well and it's a "lawsuit" prooven process with valuable files as CDR's in my case.

So with other words if the checksum is identical, the file must be identical bitwise, case closed.

If there is an issue, it must be later in the update chain.

For what it's worth, I never have MFC connected when updating firmware, though still witnessed this issue.

So, just wondering how many folks that are having an issue have the MFC-101 plugged in? I disconnected my gen 1, loaded the firmware, and bamm there is was. Tonight I plugged in the MFC-101 again, and for some reason, the patches didn't sound as good. Could this cause some interaction that is making the patches go south?

I can go on my video live stream in a bit so we can chat and you can compare how your axe sounds with a new preset built from scratch etc if you want. Let me know and I'll get it going.

Chris,

Sorry I did not get back to you on this issue but I was not near my computer later yesterday. As soon as I start feeling better (flu) I'll get back on this and see if I can figure it out. Thanks for your time and support. It is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mj

Beta firmware, by it's very nature, can often exhibit inexplicable behavior. Having myself been in the IT/software developer industry for nearly 25 years I've seen beta versions of various apps/firmware behave strangely many times. Developers make all reasonable efforts to ensure that a beta version of their app is functional, however, they can't test for every possible scenario that users in the field will subject it to - i.e., going from a very old version of f/w to the latest public Beta. I was running 17.04 on my XL and was going to wait for the gold bits to drop before updating to 18 but figured, what the hell might as well. Had no problems with the the f/w upgrade on the first try but didn't really notice a quantum leap in the tone or the feel as some have mentioned. Going thru my near-field mix monitors the XL sounded about the same as it had with 17.04 - which is to say it still sounded amazing.

Interestingly, I did notice a slight improvement in the XiTone FRFR cab and it had more of that 'amp in the room' feel. There's likely the element of a 12" speaker pushing more air than my Dynaudio's that plays into that of course. There's still some tweaking I need to do to get things where I want them - and having a fully compatible Axe Edit will be nice - but overall I'm happy with 18b and look forward to the final 18.x release.

Please don't be offended by me, but (stop reading after the but if you are sensitive :) ) to prevent download issues as you described, you have to commit every file with checksum comparison. So no Voodoo is involved.
I work also in the IT and bla...
We use checksum as well and it's a "lawsuit" prooven process with valuable files as CDR's in my case.

So with other words if the checksum is identical, the file must be identical bitwise, case closed.

If there is an issue, it must be later in the update chain.

When you say to use a checksum on the download, how do you force a checksum on a downloaded file through your browser? Someone earlier mentioned that different browsers might affect the integrity of the downloaded file. I know that different browsers can behave differently on a given website - I've seen this over and over - where Internet Explorer works correctly but Chrome does not.

If the download (zip) is damaged, the item in the archive affected by the damage should not be able to be extracted from the zip. Should fail the built in CRC.

If you can unzip it, it's good. At least from the source.

But then again, unicorn farts.

Wow! just tried the firmware download for the third time. Big difference. It seems to be working fine now. Sounds great! I do not know what I was doing wrong but it seems to have cured itself this time around.

Chris, looks like everything is working fine now. Thanks for your help and support. You are a good man.

Peace,

Mj

It 's strange but possible ... I had this issue with strange fw update and it wasn't a beta ... I'm SURE I did everything perfectly because i'm a little obsessed and even because I'm always afraid that my Axe could freeze during an update... So ...
Magic happens sometimes [emoji41]

Back
Top Bottom