For those of you using QSC K10.2 with FM3...

Hey All...not looking to get into a "CLR is better" thing...so if ya hate the QSC, just move on please...

I have a QSC K10.2 and I'm using it to amplify my FM3. We play smaller venues and it seems to have more than enough volume. It sounds pretty good at home. I'm wondering if any of you who use this speaker could comment on preferred settings on the speaker side for use live, with the band, not as a monitor but as my amp.

Just looking for some ideas on how to make this config sound as good as possible.

On the FM3 side, anything beyond low/high cuts that I should focus on?

Thanks...

Hey All...not looking to get into a "CLR is better" thing...so if ya hate the QSC, just move on please...

I have a QSC K10.2 and I'm using it to amplify my FM3. We play smaller venues and it seems to have more than enough volume. It sounds pretty good at home. I'm wondering if any of you who use this speaker could comment on preferred settings on the speaker side for use live, with the band, not as a monitor but as my amp.

Just looking for some ideas on how to make this config sound as good as possible.

On the FM3 side, anything beyond low/high cuts that I should focus on?

Thanks...
I use it occassionally if I want something small and throw and go (I also use a k8). It can sound good for you but don't use it to run stage volume only, you'll still need to run some output to the PA. It just isn't quite loud enough unless you're playing a small venue with stage volume only.

Other trick is that if it's a little bright or crispy, just put a piece of gaff tape on the tweeter to smooth it out.

I use it occassionally if I want something small and throw and go (I also use a k8). It can sound good for you but don't use it to run stage volume only, you'll still need to run some output to the PA. It just isn't quite loud enough unless you're playing a small venue with stage volume only.

Other trick is that if it's a little bright or crispy, just put a piece of gaff tape on the tweeter to smooth it out.
Most of our venues are smallish bars - we get a little loud for the bar at times with just a couple of small amps. I was hoping to just use the K10 and not go through the PA. Only our vocals go through the PA

I think its the stage floor monitor setting that I like most, and playing with My York audio IR's made a big Improvement

All my presets have cab high pass and locating the best speaker impedance makes it feel real and deep.

I used 2 live and was crazy good/loud

I think its the stage floor monitor setting that I like most, and playing with My York audio IR's made a big Improvement

All my presets have cab high pass and locating the best speaker impedance makes it feel real and deep.

I used 2 live and was crazy good/loud
Still learning - speaker impedance - is this a setting I should be adjusting?

Still learning - speaker impedance - is this a setting I should be adjusting?
For this one you just need to use your ears, Its under the amp block where it says speaker, then click on where it says Speaker IMP Curve, and choose a few different ones that you might think go with the amp you've chosen then use your ears.
I love this after I've added my cab

For this one you just need to use your ears, Its under the amp block where it says speaker, then click on where it says Speaker IMP Curve, and choose a few different ones that you might think go with the amp you've chosen then use your ears.
I love this after I've added my cab
Once you've picked a curve, you can adjust some parameters for it too, including the frequency and amount of low resonance.

Thanks for the tips...It actually sounds pretty good now. I have a few oddities I'm trying to resolve, but the QSC is loud and very clear - almost too clear at times.

Some of the delays have an odd after effect, kind of a fuzzy sort of tail. Hard to describe. Leon Todd's videos have helped but it's a weird sound. It doesn't seem like it should be there.

Thanks for the tips...It actually sounds pretty good now. I have a few oddities I'm trying to resolve, but the QSC is loud and very clear - almost too clear at times.

Some of the delays have an odd after effect, kind of a fuzzy sort of tail. Hard to describe. Leon Todd's videos have helped but it's a weird sound. It doesn't seem like it should be there.
If you're using the Memory Man or other lower fidelity delays, that's part of their sound. If you don't want that, use another delay type.

Note that that lo-fi-ness may sound messier than you're comfortable with in isolation, but can still give a cool impression in a band mix, sitting behind your playing.

If you're using the Memory Man or other lower fidelity delays, that's part of their sound. If you don't want that, use another delay type.

Note that that lo-fi-ness may sound messier than you're comfortable with in isolation, but can still give a cool impression in a band mix, sitting behind your playing.
I have noticed it greatly varies by delay type. The one that sounds pretty good to me is the Stereo BBD.

Ya know, getting this into a band situation is where I really need to go next. Won't happen until later in August now, unfortunately.

I have noticed it greatly varies by delay type. The one that sounds pretty good to me is the Stereo BBD.

Ya know, getting this into a band situation is where I really need to go next. Won't happen until later in August now, unfortunately.
Yes it varies a lot by delay type. The tech each one emulates is one of the major differences, and different antique techs are very different in how they mess up the signal.

It's interesting that you say both that some models sound messy to you, and that your favorite is the Stereo BBD, not exactly a pristine sound reproduction device ;)

No criticism intended, we like what we like.

You could also look at some of the visible parameters of ones you like, low and hi cut for instance, and graft them onto a less intentionally-lo-fi model.

Yes it varies a lot by delay type. The tech each one emulates is one of the major differences, and different antique techs are very different in how they mess up the signal.

It's interesting that you say both that some models sound messy to you, and that your favorite is the Stereo BBD, not exactly a pristine sound reproduction device ;)

No criticism intended, we like what we like.

You could also look at some of the visible parameters of ones you like, low and hi cut for instance, and graft them onto a less intentionally-lo-fi model.
Ya know - Leon Todd had a good video setting up the BBD - I just did what he said and was happy with the sound😎

Back
Top Bottom