For those of you that go direct to the PA.. do you also have your own FRFR solution on stage?

I use a monitor wedge with the full mix in it. Since I'm mixing it while I play, I need to know the levels, but that's normally set at the sound check.
We don't use amps and most gigs are played with an electronic drum set so levels are predefined in the presets :)

CLR has been a gig saver: I'used its two inputs when the club floor wedge died. The other input takes the monitor feed, the second is just axe. Also, if there's not enough wedges to start with, bring your own just in case. As a guitarist, you might be the last in the hierarchy: singer and keyboardist absolutely need to hear what they're doing. You know your songs without hearing anything, but its more fun to have the monitor. :)

Ive been through the gamut.
These I always had the cab mic'd and didnt send to FOH
5150 2x12 through the power amp section
JCM900 through the power amp to a 4x12 marshall
QSC RMX850 to a 4x12 Marshall
GT1000FX to a 4x12 Marshall

Then i went full FRFR
ASM 12 on stage while sending out 1 to FOH
FR12 on stage up on rolling case while sending out 1 to FOH.

I prefer to have something on stage that is my own so i can adjust the loudness of it if needed, or pull it back...too many times have I asked for less of something in a monitor only to be told "We only have 3 mixes, so you gotta just deal with it"

Hey guys. I just picked up a Quilter Frontliner with a Toneblock 101 mini head. I really like this monitor solution for a couple reasons:

1 - I never really enjoyed FRFR. Even though it can be crystal clear it never feels like a guitar amp on stage.
2 - Quilter uses 2 8" Celestion speakers that are loud and give that mid-range guitar cab punch. Plus the Toneblock has very good tone shaping so I can tweak to my taste. I run the Toneblock clean and eq'd flat so I don't color the sound of the AX8 much. Also it is plenty loud to keep up with a drummer.
3 - I like having a wedge in front of my AX8 as club gigs are messy. People running around, sometimes on stage. It adds a layer of protection from people dancing into the stage area. Especially if we are on level with the dance floor.
4- It weighs less than 30 lbs. What a relief!

A bit pricey at $900 :+ tax but really gives me a satisfying experience live.

Back
Top Bottom