For those of you that go direct to the PA.. do you also have your own FRFR solution on stage?

Georgy

Inspired
Hey guys

Yep.. probably a repeat thread/question one way or another.. So, I'm going to start embracing the FRFR thing when playing live by going direct to PA/FOH, and I was curious to know if any of you AX8-players were also using/bringing your own stage monitor/wedge/FRFR solution, and not just relying on the PA for your sound? I've seen a few pics in the Show Us Your AX8 Rig thread and lots of players have either a Xitone, or CLR, or ASM etc on stage with them.

I'll tell you why I ask.. I've made/tweaked patches at home on my Atomic Reactor wedge, and they sound great. I know for a fact they will sound different when I play some of those patches at a gig. I also know, depending on the overall sound of the PA etc, some patches may need tweaking. I accept this and I'm ok with it.

So, is it worth bringing your own FRFR solution to gigs? I mean, that's the sound I know and the sound I'm familiar with; so is it worth having that on stage as my 'reference wedge' or 'security blanket' as per se, or should I just tweak my patches to suit? To be honest, I'd like to avoid tweaking before shows if possible, but if I have to I will. I guess, is it worth bringing to gigs?

NOTE: I'm actually using just the stock cabs but I will get some OwnHammer and Red Wirez ones soon, but I just wanna get the hang of stock cabs rather than relying on other cabs and IRs at this point.

Any relevant input or first-hand experience or tips is welcomed guys :)

Thanks

George

I personally use a EV zlx in the back line and I use IEM. The EV is there if I need feedback or just so I can make sure my tones sound the way they should but it's not very loud. I have a buddy who only monitors via IEM so it depends on your needs.

IEMs here. The FOH is loud enough that the guitar responds properly, unlike using only headphones at home.

I'm mulling the idea of a lightweight FRFR cab/monitor for gigs where IEMs are impractical. I'd hate to have to lug my 80-Lbs combo around again!

You need some way of hearing yourself - House wedge or your own.

I go to PA and monitor with in-ears, so I don't bring an FRFR speaker
Same here.. and as mentioned above, the PA is usually loud enough to be heard.
I run 1964 Ears A8's with ADEL tech (equalization diaphragm in each ear) which sort of acts like an ambient port.
I'm fully wireless in, OUT1 to PA, OUT2 to our IEM mixer (COPY OUT1->OUT2 ON) and fully wireless out.
Big and small (weekend warrior) gigs. .

Same here.. and as mentioned above, the PA is usually loud enough to be heard.
I run 1964 Ears A8's with ADEL tech (equalization diaphragm in each ear) with sort of acts like an ambient port.
I'm fully wireless in, OUT1 to PA, OUT2 to our IEM mixer (COPY OUT1-OUT2 ON) and fully wireless out.
Big and small (weekend warrior) gigs. .

Do those work good enough to hear the rest of the instruments on stage?

Do those work good enough to hear the rest of the instruments on stage?
That would depend on the volume of the mix in them. I keep mine pretty low to allow for some of the stage to "bleed" in so I can "feel" the PA. It also, makes communicating with band members easier.. but to be honest.. it's no big deal to pop an ear out to talk to them if I need to.
It's really up to what you have in your mix..

I bring my own monitor (Yamaha DXR10) that I use only for my guitar. I connect it to output 2, so I can control the volume on my monitor, without screwing with the FOH mix. For my other monitoring needs, I use whatever the venue supplies.

I prefer open back cabs so if I need one on stage, for years I've used the Tech 21 PE60. Its light weight, plenty loud and priced around $300.00.

I bring my Xitone wedge to gigs... I would prefer to go direct to FOH, and use in ears, but sometimes it doesn't work out. I played a gig at a club I have been to before, and I gave the sound guy my direct outs to feed into the FOH and on stage monitors, and set my levels. The first song is fine, and during the 2nd song, he cranks up the guitar in the monitor mix for the whole band.... to the point it was feeding back. I had to drop the guitar volume knob way down, and then after the song had to reset the levels.

I've been using my monitor for a while, but last show left it at home since I use IEM's. there was a wedge in front of me, I had the sound guy put only guitar in that, and it worked out. few less things to drag to a show and up and down the stairs. I think i'm going to go this route from now on.

I go direct to PA, and use an RCF NX12SMA to monitor guitar on stage. I use a separate monitor for the vocals and the rest of the band instruments, talkback, etc. In addition to being able to hear the guitar well, it also allows me to turn my sound up and down independent of the FOH or band monitor mix.

I used to use IEMs, but band needs caused me to go back to wedges (I use a MyMix system for my band monitor). IEMs can be great if they work for you.

I go direct to PA, and use an RCF NX12SMA to monitor guitar on stage. I use a separate monitor for the vocals and the rest of the band instruments, talkback, etc. In addition to being able to hear the guitar well, it also allows me to turn my sound up and down independent of the FOH or band monitor mix.

I used to use IEMs, but band needs caused me to go back to wedges (I use a MyMix system for my band monitor). IEMs can be great if they work for you.

I agree. Been trying to get used to IEMs for about two years now. The experience has gotten better over time (better in ears, better sound tech), but I prefer having a speaker on stage. I'm using a Xitone open back cab now and prefer that every time. We do some gigs "ampless" so I have to use the in ears. Those gigs are never as fun, but I imagine the people listening appreciate it. The drummer in that band uses Roland drums so there is no sound coming off the stage...Great for small venues.

Yes - I always bring/use stage cabs as well as go direct FOH. The cabs aid in getting sustain and give me independent stage volume and cab direction control. I don't get the opportunity to play on too many large stages with a decent monitoring system in place so I just have a 'keep it simple' set up for all venues.

Would be nice to just go straight to FOH and leave my cabs at home but on a tight stage the drums and cymbals mean the wedge monitors get practically 100% dedicated to vocals and things would get too cluttered and a volume war would start if the guitar was pushed up in them too. Hearing myself via the mains would be extremely dodgy .... the other guys' backline volume has dropped over the years but there's still plenty of it at times.

Buying my own IEMs has always been a temptation but I think (in addition to the speaker/guitar sustain interaction thing and more stuff to carry) they would just add further complication in trying to hear the rest of the band. There would be a need for some sort of 'constant' monitoring system set up for our particular needs that travelled with us to every gig. However, we just turn up with our own backlines and use a PA hire guy for non house PA gigs ..... and he'd never be able to guarantee what rig we get on any particular night.

Old skool will do for a quiet (or loud as I want) life!

Buying my own IEMs has always been a temptation but I think (in addition to the speaker/guitar sustain interaction thing and more stuff to carry) they would just add further complication in trying to hear the rest of the band. There would be a need for some sort of 'constant' monitoring system set up for our particular needs that travelled with us to every gig. However, we just turn up with our own backlines and use a PA hire guy for non house PA gigs ..... and he'd never be able to guarantee what rig we get on any particular night.

Old skool will do for a quiet (or loud as I want) life!
In my experience, it's just the opposite. You HEAR everything in the mix much better, especially in stereo.
While budget is always a factor, we use an X32 Rack for our IEM's. Depending on venue and FOH capability we hook everything up to -
  • The house snake and plug the splitter feeds into the X32 RACK, or
  • plug into OUR splitter and send one leg to the house, or give them an L/R feed off the rack.
NOTE: We always use our own mics, cables and DI boxes so consistent inputs.
The X32 Rack output busses are connected to our wireless IEM transmitters all housed in the same rack, and it goes to every gig!
It's also connected to a Router to allow wireless access.
IEM mix levels are controlled via Android or iDevice app by EACH individual.
FOH NEVER has control over my mix, and if I don't like something, I can change it myself.
I have the same mix in my ears whether I'm standing on one side of the stage or the other.
I can hear everything in the mix that I want, including effects.
Need more kick? I bump up the level in my IEM mix.
Need LESS bass? Pull down the fader in the app.

It's about as close to plug-n-play as you can get!
20170301_172303_w-jpg.1084522

I use one of the stage monitors. Works well enough for me. I want good sound on stage but my main concern is how it sounds out front.

In my experience, it's just the opposite. You HEAR everything in the mix much better, especially in stereo.
Envious yes ..... but there's not a chance in hell the guys would put their hands in their pockets to fund that rack of goodness .... and I sure as hell ain't doing it for them.

I was talking about just myself maybe trying IEMs for just my guitar monitoring and leaving my cabs at home ..... but that would be pointless without the whole band doing likewise or at least having a good stage monitor set up at every gig .... so half the time I'd need to bring cabs as well for them to hear me.

Envious yes ..... but there's not a chance in hell the guys would put their hands in their pockets to fund that rack of goodness .... and I sure as hell ain't doing it for them..
Yeah, I understand. We each own our own IEM system (and buds), and given that (as weekend warriors) we've done 300+ gigs over the last 2 yrs, the expense was a darn good decision :)
Setup time is so much easier.
If you gig twice a month, probably NOT worth the expense!

Back
Top Bottom