For those like me, that know nada about mics

Following up on this though, is there a general rule of thumb, i.e. jazz = this type, rock = this type, etc?

the classic studio mic recording is 57/121 more modern sound is 57/421,but there are no rules with mic setups,trust your ears.

Following up on this though, is there a general rule of thumb, i.e. jazz = this type, rock = this type, etc?
Not really.

An easier way to look at a mics are by:
  • do you want a mid boost or scoop
  • do you want a bass roll off or a bass boost?
  • do you want the mic to capture the sound warts and all or as a skewed version of the cab?
  • do you want the mic diaphragm to slightly compress the sound?
Of the mics listed in the IR pack, look at the frequency response curves on the mic manufacturers' website.

That will give you a basic idea of the EQ curve they will impart on that cab.

As far as how mic positioning impacts that EQ curve and other such stuff, I have more info here to help you:
https://www.drbonkerssoundlab.com/s...mpulse-response-ir-file-packs-or-collections/

Thinking of mics by genre is very limiting. Having done literally thousands of recording sessions across a bunch of genres, mics used on guitar cabs are really not genre specific. I would have missed out on capturing some great sounds, if I limited myself to that mental box.

Regarding the mic diaphragm compression comment, if you hit certain mics with an amount of dB SPL that is approaching the upper limit they withstand before the diaphragm distorts, then certain smaller diaphragm dynamic mics like the SM57 or EV RE-10 will start to compress some frequencies due to the nature of how the diaphragms start to react to the extreme SPL.

Engineers play around with this mic diaphragm behavior and proximity effect to get recorded sounds that you would not hear if you were standing with the amp playing in the room.

Back
Top Bottom