For the Love of the FM9 and a thank you to Austin Buddy

Hello All,
Lance Keltner here, formerly of Austin, now in Santa Fe.

Years ago I tried a Fractal device and I did not bond with it. I have been a high-end tube amp nut for years, and grew up on Plexi Marshalls, old Vox and Fender amps.
Heck, I even owned a Dumble at one point, so I like to think I have heard my fair share of amps.
I demo'd a lot of high-end amps on YouTube for a number of years as well.

Well, the FM9 arrived a while back and I have to tell ya, I am sold.
The tones are 3 dimensional, the effects are incredibly well done, and the overall feel and tone of the unit is familiar, and real.

I am using mine in two different ways and I have two sets of songs programmed into this machine, all thanks to Austin Buddy. Buddy is a pal, an incredible technician when it comes to the Fractal World, and was able to help myself and my other guitarist Cole Hanson become believers.

We just did a show a few weeks ago in Austin and with Buddy's help I was able to integrate the FM9 into my Smart Belle amp rig, with the FM9 doing killer renditions of Mk2 Fuzz pedals, TC 2290s, amazing Wah pedals, and really great reverbs. I used a 4 cable method and the thing just sounded incredible.

What is blowing my mind however is that I was able to setup a whole new set list with the FM9 using it for all of my effects and amps.
We will be doing some fly dates this year and I am not even seeing the FM9 as a compromise. It is STELLAR. I am using some of the Trainwreck amps and the Tweed Fender models primarily and am loving this thing for my whole rig.
What SOLD ME on this is being able to run a Tonebender in front of two amp models and use my guitar's volume control to clean up as convincingly as if I had two tube amps and a Smart Belle Belle Fuzz.

Will I cease to use amps? Probably not, but if I need to use this rig for the whole enchilada live, I will not be a bit upset. The amp models are inspiring.

I currently am using setup whereby I have a Tweed Deluxe on one side and a Wrecker Rocket on the other. I am using a Wah, a Tonebender, and a tape delay in front of the rig and a 2290 and a Large Plate behind the amps.
Amazing feel and tones.

Wah wise I wish we had a Parachute pedal. That old Tyco stuff is amazing and that is a monster wah... Amp wise I wish I had my new Smart Belle Wolfhound which is a single ended 2 6v6 thing, but hey... Other than that, this is the most incredible machine out there.
I didn't need the Fractal 3 as I don't need more horsepower than this to do what I do.. but hey.. I might go there in the future.

Austin Buddy has an EAR FOR TONE. The guy knows his stuff. Thanks to Buddy, Cliff, Matt and the whole Fractal team. You guys hit this one out of the park.

El Kel
@FractalAudio

Last edited:
Thank YOU Lance. What a great review, and from someone our community can really admire!

PS: @austinbuddy - At first I was tempted to say "Well done, Grasshopper" but I feel that quoting a modified version of Darth Vader's "the circle is now complete" is definitely more apropos, for you have become a master ;-)

Hello All,
Lance Keltner here, formerly of Austin, now in Santa Fe.

Years ago I tried a Fractal device and I did not bond with it. I have been a high-end tube amp nut for years, and grew up on Plexi Marshalls, old Vox and Fender amps.
Heck, I even owned a Dumble at one point, so I like to think I have heard my fair share of amps.
I demo'd a lot of high-end amps on YouTube for a number of years as well.

Well, the FM9 arrived a while back and I have to tell ya, I am sold.
The tones are 3 dimensional, the effects are incredibly well done, and the overall feel and tone of the unit is familiar, and real.

I am using mine in two different ways and I have two sets of songs programmed into this machine, all thanks to Austin Buddy. Buddy is a pal, an incredible technician when it comes to the Fractal World, and was able to help myself and my other guitarist Cole Hanson become believers.

We just did a show a few weeks ago in Austin and with Buddy's help I was able to integrate the FM9 into my Smart Belle amp rig, with the FM9 doing killer renditions of Mk2 Fuzz pedals, TC 2290s, amazing Wah pedals, and really great reverbs. I used a 4 cable method and the thing just sounded incredible.

What is blowing my mind however is that I was able to setup a whole new set list with the FM9 using it for all of my effects and amps.
We will be doing some fly dates this year and I am not even seeing the FM9 as a compromise. It is STELLAR. I am using some of the Trainwreck amps and the Tweed Fender models primarily and am loving this thing for my whole rig.
What SOLD ME on this is being able to run a Tonebender in front of two amp models and use my guitar's volume control to clean up as convincingly as if I had two tube amps and a Smart Belle Belle Fuzz.

Will I cease to use amps? Probably not, but if I need to use this rig for the whole enchilada live, I will not be a bit upset. The amp models are inspiring.

I currently am using setup whereby I have a Tweed Deluxe on one side and a Wrecker Rocket on the other. I am using a Wah, a Tonebender, and a tape delay in front of the rig and a 2290 and a Large Plate behind the amps.
Amazing feel and tones.

Wah wise I wish we had a Parachute pedal. That old Tyco stuff is amazing and that is a monster wah... Amp wise I wish I had my new Smart Belle Wolfhound which is a single ended 2 6v6 thing, but hey... Other than that, this is the most incredible machine out there.
I didn't need the Fractal 3 as I don't need more horsepower than this to do what I do.. but hey.. I might go there in the future.

Austin Buddy has an EAR FOR TONE. The guy knows his stuff. Thanks to Buddy, Cliff, Matt and the whole Fractal team. You guys hit this one out of the park.

El Kel
Agreed Austin Buddy is a great place to get easy fantastic tones and really shows off the amps, how they should be. Never heard of the Parachute pedal....very cool

I like this, and it definitely has me reconsidering my live set up with 4cm, Lance is definitely highly regarded in the amp world, been digging his reviews for over a decade, his tone and experience, explanations are as good as it gets. 👍

@lancekeltner
Are you the feller who did the YouTube demos of the Park amps? Those were great! I spent a lot of time on those vids listening and chasing the tone on my AX8…. Got pretty close, but didn’t have the benefit of a “Park in the room”. Still love to turn that one up. Anyway, thanks for that great stuff!
SJB

Back
Top Bottom