For the Love of God Tone Match

Thanks a lot for your fast reply.

Yesterday night I could not sleep and I have read all that thread, who knows how he gets the t rack I read somewhere many people are taking from guitar hero.

^ That sounds awesome!!!! So much sustain. With some Vai style vibrato you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

It wasnt a legacy for that album for sure.

And Vai's sound is much more compressed you can even tell that by the pick attack

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9mjghqg6MY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Spoiler... Bad playing... Don't really know the song that well. Timing is way off.

Anyways...

Here's a quick YouTube vid of my attempt. Done with a les Paul. The tone matching block is blowing my mind right now. Even though the song is more difficult to play with out a trem, it's cool to get that vai tone out of a les Paul.
Sorry the iPhone vid quality sucks.
I gotta start using sound cloud or something.

There's no sustainer on the recording - it was done with a white 7 string universe- so even though there is really no low b/7 string stuff- the entire song was done with a 7 string- the guitar was given to Prince.

The Legacy is a good way to go in TM-ing the recording- but the real album had either a cranked up modded JCM800, or a Soldano. I think the only P&W song that has a Carvin is BLUE POWDER

I'ma go out on a limb here and say that IMO, there is just absolutely no way anyone can get THAT much sustain of such a constant volume level without a sustainer. No knock to Vai at all. But I just don't buy that this was recorded without a sustainer-equipped guitar.

And I'ma point to M@'s having liked this comment:
10 bux says it's a sustainer... could account for the missing "harmonic content", thought it sounded great.
as something of tacit support for that point of view.

The first verse is just SO sustained, and some of the lines toward the end are not, suggesting he switched off the sustainer after the first verse to allow for the faster parts later in the song.

I clearly don't know for sure and could be dead wrong. But that's my .02.

Im not sure about the sustainer guys. When you've got a tube amp raging at the volume he has recorded at in the past, its not so difficult to believe that it couldve been recorded without one. THe jurys out though. When I met him a few years ago I shouldve actually asked him something useful instead of "was it true you really drove an ice cream fan :D" hah!

I've also read the story of the ibanez Jem 7 string ,for the recording of this song.
Vai uses a Fernandes sustainer in one of his guitars especially when he plays "whispering a prayer" ( I think is the guitar named Flo) from 2000-2001, I don't know if back in 1990 he used a sustainer,but I think that at the volume he has recorded,that kind of sustain can be generated,imo.

I'ma go out on a limb here and say that IMO, there is just absolutely no way anyone can get THAT much sustain of such a constant volume level without a sustainer. No knock to Vai at all. But I just don't buy that this was recorded without a sustainer-equipped guitar.

And I'ma point to M@'s having liked this comment:

as something of tacit support for that point of view.

The first verse is just SO sustained, and some of the lines toward the end are not, suggesting he switched off the sustainer after the first verse to allow for the faster parts later in the song.

I clearly don't know for sure and could be dead wrong. But that's my .02.

Sure you can. You turn up loud enough, you can get as much sustain as you want. When you don't want sustain turn away from the guitar cab. It has almost the same effects as a sustainer. In fact, that is what the used to do before sustainers :0)

I've also read the story of the ibanez Jem 7 string ,for the recording of this song.
Vai uses a Fernandes sustainer in one of his guitars especially when he plays "whispering a prayer" ( I think is the guitar named Flo) from 2000-2001, I don't know if back in 1990 he used a sustainer,but I think that at the volume he has recorded,that kind of sustain can be generated,imo.

IMHO the song was not recorded with a sustainer, but vai used definitely (at least he did in the past) the fernandes susatiner on a white 7wh. I have one installed in mine too, and it´s definitely the fernandes one he uses, I can idendify from the controls (one control knob, switch on/of, switch hold/flip/overtone) - its very nice to get sustain and especially sustain clipping to overtones at bedroom volume. I love the system.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom