For the Love of God Tone Match

First part had more sustain and a little more harmonic content. The tone otherwise is really close - very cool.. It think is just probably needs a little more guitar/amp interaction (IOW - turn it up while recording :) )

Good work. Vai gets some pretty singing tones, I am betting he is mega loud in the studio! I know the above comments were on matching the tone, and I agree with them, but I'm not sure I don't like your slightly cleaner tone better. That's a bonus on this... I am sure people will be finding tones they prefer to what was on the record quite by accident. Exciting time.

what amp/cab did you use? i tried tone matching with a legacy and it didnt come out very good. very thin sounding. i used a wave file for the tone matching too. did you use a cabinet for this one or just an amp/tone match block?

a patch would be cool to get your pre tone matching settings

thanks

about the SUSTAIN mentioned....

It isn't the amp or setting- it's Steve Vai...

His tone out of his hands is incredible... his sustain is crazy- the only way i've been able to come close to recreating it is having my sustainer on 24/7 when I play.

what amp/cab did you use? i tried tone matching with a legacy and it didnt come out very good. very thin sounding. i used a wave file for the tone matching too. did you use a cabinet for this one or just an amp/tone match block?

a patch would be cool to get your pre tone matching settings

thanks

I used the Leggy preset as starting point,no cab,added a drive,delay and reverb and tweaked the levels of the amp and the drive.
Tomorrow I'll make some adjustment based on the advice received above and I'll post the patch.

Good work. Vai gets some pretty singing tones, I am betting he is mega loud in the studio! I know the above comments were on matching the tone, and I agree with them, but I'm not sure I don't like your slightly cleaner tone better. That's a bonus on this... I am sure people will be finding tones they prefer to what was on the record quite by accident. Exciting time.

I remember reading a Guitar Player Magazine from 1990 interview Vai regarding Passion and Warfare album, and yes, he said it was extremly loud when recording in studio

There is a weird 'singing' overtone on Vai's that yours doesn't have - what someone else called harmonic content - it's quite pronounced. Also: the high end on Vai's is more pronounced, hence also 'clearer' to my ears. Also: there is a quite obvious undertone of amp hum on Vai's, which oddly seems to beef up the bass psychoacoustically somehow. So, Vai is 'thicker', more 'singing', 'clearer' - all the while with a friggin hum going on underneath!

I do not mean to say yours isn't good. It's QUITE good, quite beautiful. But there is room for improvement, if you want to take the time.

Cheers.

Just listened again. Yep more sustain. He *sounds* like he was playing friggin' loud! Yours is more 'sterile' still. I do not like the 'cleaner' tone - yours may be 'cleaner', but it's a little more brittle as well.

But listen between Vai's notes: dig that hum! It's pretty pronounced and gives an indication of the volume because the volume would cause any mic to compress the signal and exhibit proximity effect - and that probably makes that hum more upright in the mix.

I know this is madness, but I wonder if you could add that hum somehow - the synth block or synth/vocoder or something - but it can't be dependent/interact with playing dynamics: transients and volume - it has to be self-generated within a block -a fixed carrier wave.

But listen to it. It IS part of the sound, without a doubt. Sick, I know - but if you really want verisimilitude, that's what you'll have to do.

I used the Leggy preset as starting point,no cab,added a drive,delay and reverb and tweaked the levels of the amp and the drive.
Tomorrow I'll make some adjustment based on the advice received above and I'll post the patch.

Good job man. I would like to ask you a question.
Where did you find the isolated Vai's track ? Did you use a software/vst to isoltate the track or there is a version
of the song with guitar only. Many many thanx in advance.

I agree with what the other guys have said about sustain and the extra harmonic "richness", if that's the right word, of the original track. But I think yours sounds *really* good, and I think your clip has the same feel/response as the original in the pick attack especially. Maybe add some more gain/volume to try to get that added sustain and feedback? But, imho, it's still pretty remarkable that you got a very close match on your first attempt.

There's no sustainer on the recording - it was done with a white 7 string universe- so even though there is really no low b/7 string stuff- the entire song was done with a 7 string- the guitar was given to Prince.

The Legacy is a good way to go in TM-ing the recording- but the real album had either a cranked up modded JCM800, or a Soldano. I think the only P&W song that has a Carvin is BLUE POWDER

I would try to lower the gain on the amp and add a T808 and adjust the gain to have more sustain. You will be surprised!

levipeto said:
I would try to lower the gain on the amp and add a T808 and adjust the gain to have more sustain. You will be surprised!

I just tried this... Worked great.
leggy sim With a ts808. Tons of sustain.

Back
Top Bottom