For The Love of God! (Legacy Help)

X-Mann

Experienced
Hey guys,

I have the FX8 mkii & use it in 4cm with a Friedman Runt 50 head with Humbuster cables & NO HUM, BUZZ or issues AT ALL.

But....."For the love of God", I need some help with a 2nd/new set-up.

I have a new Carvin Legacy 3 amp & just love the tones in it!

But....I have a ground loop I believe, or at least some LOUD BUZZ that needs to be fixed.

When I unplug one of the humbuster cables plugged into the FX loop, the buzz goes away.

There's no ground lift on the metal chassis of the Legacy 3 amp either. I have also tried regular (non-humbuster) cables & that didn't do a thing to remove the noise.

Does anyone use a Carvin Legacy 3 amp & the Fractal FX8? If so, what's your set-up & do you have "The Buzz"?

I tried different outlets & that also didn't work either.

Is there a way to lift the ground on a Legacy amp?

I also tried a 2-prong adapter on the amp cord & got a very loud feedback when I turned the amp on.

I'm thinking that this is just a simple ground loop, but can't figure out how to fix this....

Any ideas? I've read a lot of 4 cable mode threads & buzz threads, but no luck!

Peace! X

PS - I'm using the presets that are noise free through the Friedman Runt's FX loop that I created.....& thought they would be the same & buzz free. This is a buzz & not a hiss too.

Last edited:
Is your amp and the FX8 plugged into the same circuit? I had a buzz issue at a gig and once I switched both to the same circuit, issue solved.

Is your amp and the FX8 plugged into the same circuit? I had a buzz issue at a gig and once I switched both to the same circuit, issue solved.
Same power source or outlet?

Yes, I've had issues in the past & do have plugged into the same outlet.

I am thinking that my patches are now the issue. They were ALL built with a different amp.

I've copied one over & am finding a few things that are helping.

Changing the (Set-Up) "Post Level" to -10 & rebooting took a small amount away.....Then changing my config for pre/post & getting the chorus out of the post loop also helped a little.

I still think that there's a lot more going on here though.......& will keep reporting in until it's fixed for good.

Putting a noise gate block in the POST location takes away the buzz, but I shouldn't need to do that right?

That seems off to me & like I'm masking the bigger issue here.

Maybe I'll call Carvin & ask about the loop?

X

Putting a noise gate block in the POST location takes away the buzz, but I shouldn't need to do that right?

That seems off to me & like I'm masking the bigger issue here.

Maybe I'll call Carvin & ask about the loop?

X

I use noise gates in the loop on all my patches with high gain amps... not sure why it would be more evident with the Carvin though.

If you didn't try it, use the Post Level at -10 with your Runt... it quieted mine right down. I do use a noise gate in the loop of the Runt too...

It would be a nice feature to be able to assign the global gate to pre or post. It wouldn't take up a block.

I use noise gates in the loop on all my patches with high gain amps... not sure why it would be more evident with the Carvin though.

If you didn't try it, use the Post Level at -10 with your Runt... it quieted mine right down. I do use a noise gate in the loop of the Runt too...

It would be a nice feature to be able to assign the global gate to pre or post. It wouldn't take up a block.
That's the funny thing here.....I'm at the standard +4 with the Runt & have a completely silent rig with no issues. I'm not even using a noise gate block in the loop either.

I think it might have to do with the Metal chassis on the Legacy 3 & or just their FX loop.

X

The hum X is different than the iso box. They are both good to have in the gig bag. I've had problems come up at venues that never hapen anywhere else. Anyway the iso box takes care of ground loops between units, for X ample the axe and a power amp from output to input. The hum X handles it at the power supply. I've had the most luck with the iso box

ISSUE RESOLVED:

I did have a ground loop & got the Ebtech Hum X & it totally fixed the issue I was having.

So....for the Carvin Legacy 3 in 4cm.....not only did I need the hum buster cables, I still needed the Hum X to fix the unwanted BUZZ.

Peace! X

Hmmm, Why is this such a problem with some amps but not others? I've seen people on here have major noise issues with EVH 5150III heads and now X has a problem with the Carvin Legacy 3.

I'm using my FX8 Mark II in 4CM with a 2001 Bogner Ecstasy 101b Classic. 25' TS cable from guitar to input, 25' TS cables in loop, and 25' TS cable to amp input. Loop is in Series mode. No hum, noise, hiss or anything at all. No need for Humbusters in my case. The only small issue I had was "out 1" clipping on certain patches. The Bogner loop is hot so that was expected. Simple pad adjustment and all is good.

What is it with some effects loops that cause this?

Hmmm, Why is this such a problem with some amps but not others? I've seen people on here have major noise issues with EVH 5150III heads and now X has a problem with the Carvin Legacy 3.

I'm using my FX8 Mark II in 4CM with a 2001 Bogner Ecstasy 101b Classic. 25' TS cable from guitar to input, 25' TS cables in loop, and 25' TS cable to amp input. Loop is in Series mode. No hum, noise, hiss or anything at all. No need for Humbusters in my case. The only small issue I had was "out 1" clipping on certain patches. The Bogner loop is hot so that was expected. Simple pad adjustment and all is good.

What is it with some effects loops that cause this?
I think that the Legacy issue is that it's an ALL Metal (\m/) chassis & no ground lift switch on the amp.........but I'm not a doctor! :D

The important part to note here, is that it's NOT the FX8 causing the issue here with these different amps. It's the amps.......or something else........

I did a couple clips of the Carvin Legacy 3 at a pretty decent volume.......& this is with no extra noise gate block added & it's very quiet now considering ALL the GAIN!!!! :rolleyes:

X

PS - I've been doing a lot of reading (& I HATE reading..lol) & the 4CM is notorious for creating a ground loop between the FX8 and the amplifier. In fact......Helix has just as many issues too........It's the 4CM my peeps.......;)

I think that the Legacy issue is that it's an ALL Metal (\m/) chassis & no ground lift switch on the amp.........but I'm not a doctor! :D

The important part to note here, is that it's NOT the FX8 causing the issue here with these different amps. It's the amps.......or something else........

I did a couple clips of the Carvin Legacy 3 at a pretty decent volume.......& this is with no extra noise gate block added & it's very quiet now considering ALL the GAIN!!!! :rolleyes:

X

PS - I've been doing a lot of reading (& I HATE reading..lol) & the 4CM is notorious for creating a ground loop between the FX8 and the amplifier. In fact......Helix has just as many issues too........It's the 4CM my peeps.......;)

The Bogner is a metal chassis without a ground lift also...

H I've seen people on here have major noise issues with EVH 5150III heads

With my 5150iii, the problem went away when I had my board and amp on the same power circuit. Kind of a pain, but I just got a 25' power cable and ran it back to my amps power block.

Back
Top Bottom