For the curious - some Helix user feedback starts to roll in

But which is harder to achieve, realer sounding amps and FX or a friendly user interface.

My approach would be focus on sound and then on ease of use because if you conquer the first one the user will stick and wait for the second one.
Are you suggesting that realer will always trump ease of use? At some point, realer becomes moot, particularly if you're marketing to the broader market. Creating a box that any bubba can dial in gig-worthy tones on is likely to have more mass market appeal than a less user friendly device even if it has more tonal upside.

I might still use my AxeFx for recording but I stopped gigging with it last winter when I got a another modeler that sounded more than good enough and was more convenient to set up / break down. I don't even think about sound quality, not because I don't care but because the other box sounds more than good enough and is more convenient in that application.
lol "drops mic"

seriously though... I really don't get why so many people have a hard on for the Klon. :confusion:
I don't actually give a crap about the Klon, personally, but clearly a lot of folks do. It was more a playful rebuttal to the folks who dismiss Helix because it "only" has 40 amps in it.

Having worked with line6 for over 5 years , you have nothing to worry about!!! Repackaged BS!!!!!!!! I'm so ready to be slammed and banned. You who know me know the truh. Not a "fanboy". Fractal is what it is and line6 and Kemper are chasing

"Repackaged BS!!!!!!!!"

So, they're lying? Hope you don't have a non-disclosure. :)

Last edited:
For me, it comes down to whether or not it sounds better to the person using it. Lots of people don't have experience with lots of amps. Or, have only used modelers (lower end) or solid state amps. I don't think we'll see many who will legitimately claim that Helix sounds better than Axe FX. (Looking forward to some blind tests done purely scientifically.) But, some will choose form (yes, some bells and whistles) over function. I'm excited to see more demos of the AX8. Thing is, it's going to sound like the Axe FX, which is well documented. For everyone? No. The best modeling available? I, and many others say "Absolutely!" But, some people will make their decision on other aspects. That's okay too. I do think that many who end up with Helix would probably reconsider if they used it side by side with an Axe FX/AX8.

Posts from another thread,
Spent a good amount of time with my brothers Helix on Saturday.
Compared to the Axe Fx II, the Helix lacks definition, feel, nuance, finger expression control and has a similar distinct coloration to every amp/drive pedal. When switching drive pedals in a preset, they all sound like the same pedal on different settings. I didn't find the interface any easier to use than my Axe accept in the fact that there are far less main parameters and no deep parameters which makes the learning curve less than the Axe.

On the positive side, It didn't sound bad(in fact it sounds great on those maple neck cleaner Hendrix sounds although you can't get rid of that distinct sound coloration, it just happens to help the clean Hendrix sounds) and some may benefit from the fact that the Helix is very forgiving as it has an inherent compression/attack that aids reckless playing and smoothes out dynamics but you are stuck with that.

Disclaimer: I am looking at this from a classic rock viewpoint only.
Conclusion: This would be a great cheaper alternative to the Axe Fx II if the Ax8 were not coming out!

In rebuttal to those that think the audience doesn't notice great sound.

Speaking of cover bands only not tribute or original bands-
I agree that one could use the Helix in their band and it would serve extremely well! However, I do not agree that the audience just knows 'sounds great or not' and doesn't notice subtle differences or details or maybe just doesn't care. We have trained the audience that they are never going to hear the difference because they are almost never exposed to local live acts with anyone remotely attempting to recreate the original sounds much less playing the parts true to the original recordings. After playing covers live for over 40 years, I am finally with a group of musicians attempting to play the covers true to the original recordings and the audience is noticing way more than I ever dreamed they would. Of course as there is no end to improvement, we are always working on details which really add up to major improvement over time. We have the technology to do this now (all FRFR no amps or speakers on stage, electronic drums) and our audiences not only notices but comes up and marvels at the work that must have gone into it! I am always hearing from non musicians that "wow, you played that entire lead exactly like it is on the record with the exact sound! There are many music fans that have great ears but never learned to play an instrument!

Quote Originally Posted by PRS Guy View Post
Actually my band is all in-ears, no amps on stage, everything direct...so I relate to what you are saying...( I actually prefer it )
Well...I guess until I try an AX8 in person I have no real experience to comment on. I do like the sounds of the AX-FX...quite a bit I should add. However, I guess we can split hairs as to whether a good guitarist using a Helix or AX8 will have that much different affect on the audience. With that said, I love great tone and maybe I just don't know really the significant gains in using an AX-FX over a Helix without actually trying it.
I will add though some people love brand 'A' or 'B' just because they have an allegiance to a company / brand...I don't...the best product that I can afford will get my money. The thing about the AX8 is the price point FINALLY put them on my radar as a possibility without breaking the bank.
thanks for the comments...

Very cool that your band does FRFR! In ear monitors here too! I forget that I live in an area that is quite backward compared to elswhere.
I have always been at the bleeding edge of guitar gear and use what's better/best. I have tried most everything and have been using Fractal because it has been the best for my purpose however, I have spent hundreds of hours tweaking to get the sounds right thru out the firmware changes but the newest firmware Q1 sounds so great that you can get where you want to go much faster/easier. The fact that the AX8 is starting from where the Axe Fx II has evolved is a killer plus! I would jump ship if something better came along and I will be listening to firmware updates on the Helix as it has the potential to evolve just as the Axe did.

Compared at home thru my FR system but not in a band/live situation which is my main use for Axe Fx II.
The univibe was great on the Helix(only effect better than on the Axe IMHO). Reverb- passable (not as good or tunable as Axe Fx). Delay- not as many choices and far less parameters which was true of all effects. Speaker IRs- had more effect on preset flavor than anything else but far less impact on the preset than IRs on the Axe Fx II and far less parameter tune-ability than the Axe Fx II. Compressors- only tried pre drive/amp worked well for over compression effect but otherwise sounded exaggerated.

Last edited:
Could you please edit your post rather than multiposting ? The topic doesn't need to be bumped so much
Cheers !

On a side note I'm yet to hear a good sound from an helix because for now youtube sounded like sh*t :D

Really? What is revealed here? The presets aren't level matched and don't demonstrate anything beyond some random presets. There's nothing concrete or measurable to learn here besides being able to hear the mythical Helix and that its subjective sound quality isn't at either end of the spectrum.

How much time was spent diving in on the presets? How well does the user know each unit? We're just exposed to a bunch of rock (and occasionally clean) sounds and each sound could pretty much be from either unit depending upon IRs and how they are tweaked.

These "X vs. Y" discussions are to what end? There is almost nothing that the Axe-FX II can't provide to the guitarist. If the Axe-FX fits a given application and the Line6 fits another, then buy whichever works best for you and your criteria.

I will close with stating that the Line6 SLO sounded pretty poor. I'm sure that same tone could be replicated on the Axe. It's just about preset programming at that point.

Very cool comparison clips between Axe FX and Helix. After listening Im good with owning what I have and not buying any new stuff ; )

Scroll down towards bottom of page.

Helix - Quick Review | The Gear Page

Thanks for this. Very revealing.

Last edited:

Then man up and use your real name and photo. Even if you are telling the truth 100%, the way you're doing this lends you 0% credibility. You come across a disgruntled former employee rather than something of a whistleblower. You say the Helix is just repackaged bells and whistles and nothing but BS while L6 says it's new modeling technology. So really, you're saying they're lying but give us no reason to believe you. Why not give us a reason? And saying that those who know you know that you're telling the truth isn't helpful whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom