For Sale Page.. scammers everywhere

I'd hate to see a few bad apples ruin it for others. I've bought a few items from this forum. Great experiences for me. But they've had referrals and I offered referrals so others know who they're dealing with. Maybe providing legit referrals (that can be confirmed) as a prerequisite or a confirmed sale or purchase rating be provided for our Fractal Profile may be a solution.

I'd hate to see a few bad apples ruin it for others. I've bought a few items from this forum. Great experiences for me. But they've had referrals and I offered referrals so others know who they're dealing with. Maybe providing legit referrals (that can be confirmed) as a prerequisite or a confirmed sale or purchase rating be provided for our Fractal Profile may be a solution.

If only you could buy a hockey team here! :eek: *running*

Last edited:
I know where you live, man... well actually I don't but I have you ph. no. and a mean Jehovah witness impersonation. :lol

I would set it up so you have to have a high post count if you want to do business on the forum (500+). This way people know how you are and that person has a vested interest on the forum. I have sold a few things on the Forum and would hate to see it removed as well.

It really is up to the buyer, to cover their bases before pulling the trigger and make sure
you use a reputable solution, to handing over money. I can smell S&&T, a mile away, and
will be the first to cram it up your receiving port, on your rear dock. I hate people like
scammers, but unfortunately it is everywhere not just here. Just make sure there is a
trail back to whomever you buy from. If your unsure, BE UNSURE.

I would set it up so you have to have a high post count if you want to do business on the forum (500+). This way people know how you are and that person has a vested interest on the forum. I have sold a few things on the Forum and would hate to see it removed as well.

No disrespect but I don't think that is a viable solution. I would venture to say that the majority of Fractal owners are not forum members. Some owners may visit from time to time to catch up on the latest news without ever registering or participating in threads. If they want to sell their Fractal product where would be the first logical place? Here, I would think.

If you are unsure if a seller is legit, why not ask to Skype or FaceTime to see the item and make sure the seller has it?

Ebay fees are ridiculous - The for sale section has worked fine for 6+ years I have been here. A few are ruining it. Ebay sucks big time.

Ebay fees are ridiculous - The for sale section has worked fine for 6+ years I have been here. A few are ruining it. Ebay sucks big time.

Agreed. I'll never sell an AXE-FX on eBay, as they take 10% (last time I checked). I'm willing to sell on REVERB though, because they only take 2.5 or 3% or something... it still hurts, but not nearly as bad, and you're paying for them to 'mediate' in the event that someone's trying to scam you, which is more rare on a site like REVERB or eBay.

I always end up advertising on eBay with a 10% markup so I don't lose money. Hopefully more people do this so that it forces buyers to buy cheaper on REVERB or on other sites.

I moderate an instrument oriented forum and we implemented a threshold of 100 sensible and on-topic posts before one can sell on that forum.

We arrived at the following rules after much thought, debate and experimentation. As in all things involving social structures, nothing is perfect, but this has worked rather well for a forum with 20,000 members. We adjust and fine-tune as the passage of time and new situations & information dictate.

Does it required extra work on the part of the moderators? Just a bit more policing. Having stock 'ready made' warning and explanatory PMs and emails at hand cuts down on the larger part of the work.

Food for thought and discussion.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the rules for the "Marketplace" section of this forum.

Please read this post before participating in any Marketplace activities.

Any use of this website for purchasing or selling items signifies your understanding and acceptance of these rules.

THE MARKETPLACE IS NOT THE MAIN REASON THIS WEBSITE IS HERE.

WE ARE HERE TO PARTICIPATE IN A COMMUNITY AND SHARE INFORMATION ABOUT THINGS WE LOVE.

DISCLAIMER

Any transactions that take place are solely between the buyer and the seller. Fractal Audio (edit: I inserted this for the sake of continuity) and the owners/administrators of this forum are NOT participants in the transaction and can carry or offer NO liability or responsibility should there be problems with the transaction. As with eBay, Craigslist and all other online sales, PLEASE be careful and execute strong judgement.

It sucks when someone is ripped off, but unfortunately there is very little (most likely nothing) the forum management can do to help if you should have problems with a transaction.

By participating here you agree and understand that use of this forum for 'buy, sell and trade' transactions is carried out fully at your own risk.

HOW IT WORKS

- Two subforums have been created, 'For Sale/Trade' and 'Want To Buy'

- ANY logged in user with at least ONE post can freely view and reply to topics in either of these subforums.

- ONLY users with 100 posts or more may create threads in the 'For Sale/Trade' subforum. ONLY 'For Sale' and 'For Trade' threads are allowed, any other threads started in this subforum will be deleted.

- ANY logged in user with at least ONE post may create a new thread in the 'Want To Buy' subforum. ONLY 'Want To Buy' posts are allowed, any other threads started in this subforum will be deleted. This subforum IS NOT to be used to TRADE items.

YOU MAY ONLY HAVE ONE THREAD AT A TIME in 'Want To Buy'

DO NOT try to use the WTB subforum to boost your postcount. List multiple items in one post instead of making multiple posts. Edit your post when your needs change. If it looks like you are abusing the WTB subforum in order to reach 100 posts you risk getting your account deleted.

**If you want to SELL or TRADE something, you need 100 posts at the forum first and you must post your thread in the For sale/trade subforum. Posts mentioning items for trade in the Want to Buy subforum will be deleted without warning.**

If you don't have 100 posts, you'll need to participate in the community a bit more so we will have a chance to get to know something about you before you can do business here. It's not hard. Post about music, gear, your cat, your garden, your favorite band.

If we see someone who has recently reached the 100 post threshold and is starting to create For Sale threads, we will often investigate their post history. If the vast majority are pointless bumping of postcount with single word posts etc, your account will be deleted without warning. You won't be banned, you'll be free to register and try again, but we will simply toast your account.

- NO SELLING ON BEHALF OF OTHERS! For Sale and For Trade posts must be items being sold by the member making the post. No posting items on behalf of your friend or buddy from another forum.

-no houses damn

- ALL FOR SALE POSTS MUST INCLUDE A PRICE! If you don't include a price we'll delete your post without warning.

OFFERS

It is ok to state the price you will sell an item for and say that you are open to offers.
You cannot set a "nonsense" price for an item and then ask for best offers. If you do your post will be deleted without warning. Forum administration's decision on what is, or is not, a nonsense price is final and not open to negotiation.

It IS NOT ok to just ask for offers. Or to state that you will accept offers over a certain figure. If you do this your thread will be deleted without warning.

If the item(s) are solely FT and you do not want to sell it for cash then inviting trade offers is accepted. Giving people some idea what type of things you are looking to trade for is a good idea.

If the item(s) are FS/FT and you state you are looking for offers, without naming a price that the item is for sale at, it looks very much like you are seeking cash offers and as such your post will be deleted.

POINTING TO FS POSTS ELSEWHERE

- DO NOT START THREADS FOR YOUR ITEM ON EBAY, NOR LINKING TO YOUR FS POSTING AT ANOTHER SITE. If you have items on eBay, AND you ALSO have 100 posts or more you may post a link to your items ONCE in the general stickied 'Random eBay Thread'.

New threads that link to eBay, Craigslist, etc. will be DELETED. Posts linking to outside sales by users with less than 100 posts will be deleted. If you have posted a sale thread at a different site, post the full ad here, not a link.

- POST IN THE RIGHT PLACE! Do not post 'For Sale', 'For Trade' or 'Want To Buy' threads or posts outside the relevant subforums. They will be deleted.

PROFILE 'SIGNATURE' RULES

- If you have over 100 posts at the forum, you MAY list items for sale in your forum signature.

- You MAY list 'Want To Buy' items in your signature regardless of how many posts you have at the forum.

- You CANNOT link to eBay auctions in your signature, regardless of how many posts you have.

OTHER STUFF

- There is an official discussion thread for the Market in the 'Stickies' section of the For Sale/Trade subforum. Use this thread to discuss things in the Market if you need to. Do not start new threads other than For Sale, For Trade or Want to Buy.

- New threads that are not either 'Want To Buy', 'For Sale' or 'For Trade' will be deleted if they are started in the Market's subforums.

- Please be courteous by consolidating your format-specific modules in one FS thread.

- You can bump your 'For Sale' and 'For Trade' threads reasonably, like every few days or once a week or whatever....

You CANNOT bump your 'Want To Buy' posts because you can only have one post at a time in WTB. But.....

ALL users can EDIT AND DELETE their own posts and threads in WTB and FS-FT. So you can delete your WTB post and make a new one.

- The 'Want To Buy' subforum automatically prunes once daily and will remove any thread that has not been replied to within 14 days.

- The 'For Sale/Trade' subforum automatically prunes once daily and will remove any thread that has not been replied to within 30 days.

- If someone is perpetually causing problems by attempting to circumvent or outright disobey these rules, they risk deletion of their account.

- These rules are not negotiable.

- These rules are apt to change at any time.

- Use of this website for buying, selling or trading constitutes full understanding and acceptance of these rules.

Please be nice. Play fair. Think of the community first.

Don't be a douche.

Thank-you.

Agreed. I'll never sell an AXE-FX on eBay, as they take 10% (last time I checked). I'm willing to sell on REVERB though, because they only take 2.5 or 3% or something... it still hurts, but not nearly as bad, and you're paying for them to 'mediate' in the event that someone's trying to scam you, which is more rare on a site like REVERB or eBay.

I always end up advertising on eBay with a 10% markup so I don't lose money. Hopefully more people do this so that it forces buyers to buy cheaper on REVERB or on other sites.

JRod, I think it's 12% now-pretty sure anyway.............10 or 12% is really a lot.

100 or 200 posts required to post a "4 sale".... LOL.

While YOU may think it's a good idea because you are a member of said community, If i'm not part of your community, and only want to sell something I'm not going to spend a month making posts just so I can post a 4 sale thread. That's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

I think it's up to the person buying to make the seller prove authenticity, not the forum, or the forum moderators. A little common sense is all it takes.

100 or 200 posts required to post a "4 sale".... LOL.

While YOU may think it's a good idea because you are a member of said community, If i'm not part of your community, and only want to sell something I'm not going to spend a month making posts just so I can post a 4 sale thread. That's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

You lack reading comprehension or just skimmed what was posted. Read it again and try to be more respectful and consider a softer tone, Internet Warrior of Justice.

Also, one of the key points is that we don't have interest in people joining just to sell stuff. This is stated clearly. Surely, that particular community is not for you then as the focus isn't to the liking of your hypothetical statement.

TGP has a better marketplace system anyway. Now that I think about it, if FAS closes the FS section, I'd be fine with it.... at this point, I'd rather sell on TGP or Reverb. It's more secure, and that means something when you're selling equipment worth thousands.

You lack reading comprehension or just skimmed what was posted. Read it again and try to be more respectful and consider a softer tone, Internet Warrior of Justice.

Also, one of the key points is that we don't have interest in people joining just to sell stuff. This is stated clearly. Surely, that particular community is not for you then as the focus isn't to the liking of your hypothetical statement.

Before insulting someone who has a different opinion than your's, please consider that there is no "tone" in text, It was not a direct reply to your post, and just because you read it with intentions that you are being attacked does mean it was written with that intention. Take a second and step back and breathe buddy.

AS for your 2nd statement, You're right, and judging by your "reaction" to my opinion, the quality of people in "that" community is not a place I would enjoy.

It's also sad how you claim to be a mod, yet you act like a 5 year old tossing insults left right and center. That's just disappointing on so many levels.

Back
Top Bottom