For James Tyler variax users. Strat model fix

Keith White

Experienced
For those of you using the James Tyler variax -I have the JTV89f I am sure you have noticed that when you play full chords and play lead runs the notes you play on the 1st 2nd and 3rd strings aren't as powerful and full as the 4 5 6 strings.

The fix for this is easy. Use workbench hd and change the following values for each strat model

Bridge position. Change guitar master volume at the bottom from zero to 4
on the strings page change the values from all 100 s to 60 60 60 100 100 100

Second position. Change guitar master volume at the bottom from zero to 4

Middle position. Change guitar master volume at the bottom from zero to 4

Fourth position. Change guitar master volume at the bottom from zero to 4
on the strings page change the values from all 100 s to 50 60 60 100 100 100

Neck position. Change guitar master volume at the bottom from zero to 4
on the strings page change the values from all 100 s to 40 60 60 100 100 100

I have double checked this on several amps with flat eq and it is full and sounds like a real stratocaster

How do you connect your variax to the Axefx. I either get high 60 cycle hum or it sounds cheep. I am going thru a HD500 with a clean nothing added setup. Thanx

I connect it with the regular 1/4" cable so I have to manually change the models but I only get the hum using the magnetic pickups in 2nd and 4 th

How do you connect your variax to the Axefx. I either get high 60 cycle hum or it sounds cheep. I am going thru a HD500 with a clean nothing added setup. Thanx
No idea if this would work as I don't have a HD500, but if you could live with a 2 cable out from the Variax scenario, maybe try taking the HD500 out of the audio signal by using the Variax connection between guitar and HD to just transmit model changes to the guitar. Then run the standard 1/4 inc connection to the AxeFX from the guitar and use a Midi connection from Midi Out on the Axe to the HD - so the Axe sends or relays preset changes to the HD500 which in turn then transmits Variax model changes to the guitar.

Just a theory ... not actually tried it myself ...... maybe the Variax can only use one output at a time ..... etc etc

How do you like the HD models of the Strat ? I'm one of those users who like version 1.9 better for the quack sound. I kept the stock 2.0 Strat the same (with the fix for the intermediate positions + tweaks similar to the one you describe above) but also made myself a custom Strat using another body

Have you tried using a HumX on the power? I don't have the James Tyler model, just a plain Variax, and I get zero hum, whether or not the HD500 is in the chain..

Tried using Spdif and got better results but then tried taking the HD500 out of the chain and using the usb cable connection. Clean tone now but get some weird artifacts/tone from some of the models. Acoustics still sound poor especially the 12 string models. If and when I find a useable solution I will pass it on.

To all fellow James Tyler Variax owners Line 6 just released a remarkable firmware update for the Variax plus updated the Workbench HD software Here is the link: Line 6 Software
The variax firmware amazingly fixes the strat 2nd and 4th position issues (its like night and day compared to before) and provides seamless switching between models.

To all fellow James Tyler Variax owners Line 6 just released a remarkable firmware update for the Variax plus updated the Workbench HD software Here is the link: Line 6 Software
The variax firmware amazingly fixes the strat 2nd and 4th position issues (its like night and day compared to before) and provides seamless switching between models.
So did you have to reset the offsets from above or does it just work better?

I've got a JTV59 and the levels on about 90% of the models seem low....perhaps that's in comparison to the magnetic pickups so maybe they're just hot. :) Is there a global level or do you have to adjust the gain on every single preset to compensate? Does adding gain do anything weird to the signal (like mess with dynamics?)

Is there no way to create a parallel single humbucker patch?

What do you guys think about the alternate tunings? I have a JTV69 and I think the tunings sound terrible and thus never use it. I love the guitar but I think the tuning is a big let down. Sounds really digital and and obvious to me. What about you?

What do you guys think about the alternate tunings? I have a JTV69 and I think the tunings sound terrible and thus never use it. I love the guitar but I think the tuning is a big let down. Sounds really digital and and obvious to me. What about you?
I used to have an old Roland VG-8 and the alt tunings sounded horrible if I could hear the string noise. Recorded or loud enough to overcome the string noise it wasn't that bad. It was definitely good enough to get buy.

I haven't tried to record with the Variax yet, but I am hoping that the issues I'm hearing are from hearing the strings ring out and not the final product. May have to do some testing.....

Alternate tuning won't work for djenty fast stuff, but they work for some songs, like Alter Bridge "Open your eyes". Works better with gainy sounds than for clean sounds too.
My real issue with Variax HD is the Strat sounds. Yes with 2.10 the pickup bug is fixed but I still like the 1.90 Strat more, specially for the quack sound (positions 2 and 4). Now every position is anemic sounding imho. I tweaked the Strat a lot, stacking pickups for positions 1-3-5, moving the pickups for positions 2 and 4, boosting the volume, and now I can use it, even if not quacking like it should on 2 and 4.

That's why I was asking about it. I think that it sounds kind of weak and the levels are still so much lower than the magnetic pickups. I mean I know that a single is supposed to lower output, but this is pretty insane. The strat is by far the weakest model IMHO.

Finally! I was getting worried my guitar was playing up! Thanks for the comments & tips on correcting the Strat volume Loss on strings 1,2 & 3. I will try making the adjustments as per your instructions.

I'll report back after adjusting later in the week.

Mine only rears it's ugly head when I'm using a certain crazy synthy patch. The volume drops off considerably & things turn fizzy!

Cheers & hope we can figure out how best to use the JTV's with the Axe FX Range.

Thanks

Fremen,

I'm a seasoned guitarist but a novice in the world of bundles! (Feeling embarressed now!:numbness:)

Would I be right to think you have bundled your JTV guitar setting?

Have you tweaked your guitar sims?

Is it easy to moved some of your guitar sims onto the JTV without messing with them all?

Fremen,

I'm a seasoned guitarist but a novice in the world of bundles! (Feeling embarressed now!:numbness:)

Would I be right to think you have bundled your JTV guitar setting?

Have you tweaked your guitar sims?

Is it easy to moved some of your guitar sims onto the JTV without messing with them all?
Not an expert, but you basically connect the JTV to the HD Workshop and let it load the presets stored on the guitar. Then you can open up his bundle through the application and it will load all of his settings into the banks for you to demo. If you like one you can save it to that position. I am pretty sure that you can select a place to save it as well. You can also load an entire bank by clicking on the heading of that set.

But basically until you select "load to instrument" or whatever it is called you do not commit any changes to the guitar itself.

Not an expert, but you basically connect the JTV to the HD Workshop and let it load the presets stored on the guitar. Then you can open up his bundle through the application and it will load all of his settings into the banks for you to demo. If you like one you can save it to that position. I am pretty sure that you can select a place to save it as well. You can also load an entire bank by clicking on the heading of that set.

But basically until you select "load to instrument" or whatever it is called you do not commit any changes to the guitar itself.
Yes that's it. Click and drag the setting you like to another position in the bank/another bank and click "upload to Variax" to send it elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom