For Clumsy Feet

Jalevinemd

Inspired
Okay...so I rely completely on SCENES. The problem that I've mentioned in another thread is that I'll often accidentally hit FS 5, 6, 7 or 8 while trying to hit 1, 2, 3 or 4. This results in many effects engaging at once and some very unpleasant sounds. I have my first gig with the FX8 tomorrow and didn't want to take the chance of that happening. Since none of my PRESETS have more than 4 SCENES, I could've programmed FS 5-8 as my SCENE switchers. But that would confuse me as I'm used to numbers 1-4. My plan is to get the Gigwrx FX Labels and turn the bottom row into 1-4 and the top into 5-8. While waiting for those to arrive, I came up with this simple solution. I constructed these very effective FS "blockers" out of a pair of rubber grommets. It is now impossible for me to accidentally activate the bottom row of footswitches with my clumsy feet. Just thought I'd share in case there are other footswitch challenged people like me on the Forum.

fx8.JPG

Last edited:
nice MacGyver move!

In a related note, I was about to sell off my Novo24 as most of my pedals are now gone. I tried the FX8 on there and it fits really well...but more than that, the incline of the board actually helps reduce accidental row clicks

I like how they switched the row numbers on the AX8.
i don't think they switched it.

the FX8 concept was from left to right, top to bottom, as you viewed it on the screen. so to match the screen, they put the numbers as we see them now.

the AX8 concept was more of a MFC/midi controller combo, and most, if not all, midi controllers start bottom left = 1.

i don't think they switched it.

the FX8 concept was from left to right, top to bottom, as you viewed it on the screen. so to match the screen, they put the numbers as we see them now.

the AX8 concept was more of a MFC/midi controller combo, and most, if not all, midi controllers start bottom left = 1.

The first pic of the prototype AX8 that Cliff posted in his infamous "I'm just going to leave this here" thread had the footswitches numbered left to right, top to bottom like the FX8 above. I remember thinking it looked odd compared to every other floorboard I've encountered before. Maybe the rows were changed when the decision was made to include the 4x12 layout grid on the AX8.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/im-just-going-to-leave-this-here.96382/
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/im-just-going-to-leave-this-here.96382/

Jalevinemd, how much extra pressure does it take to activate the bottom switches with the grommets in place? Looks like a great simple fix. As a former G-System user, the switches were an issue as they were too big, and could be easily activated by just hitting the edge. Where did you purchase the grommets? Have a great evening.

Dave

Jalevinemd, how much extra pressure does it take to activate the bottom switches with the grommets in place? Looks like a great simple fix. As a former G-System user, the switches were an issue as they were too big, and could be easily activated by just hitting the edge. Where did you purchase the grommets? Have a great evening.

Dave

You have to step on them quite hard. You'd never do it by accident. I got the grommets at ACE hardware. It's like a 7/8" grommet inside a 1 3/8". Just used them tonight at our show. First time I didn't accidentally step on one of the bottom footswitches. I also had peace of mind not having to worry about a mis-step.

Hmmm... Like the gromet idea...

Quite a few times in looper mode, Ive hit the 'record' knob thinking i was going into a preset. Its just a mental block ive had for some reason !

Ill be ordering some labels from kick tags, but the gromet is a good one

Back
Top Bottom