For all you Video camera nerds like me...Gopro 4

I was lucky to get a black 3+ on quibids.com for $1.52
for real
but I've spent a lot of money on accessories, so not sure it was such a good deal :)

I was lucky to get a black 3+ on quibids.com for $1.52
for real
but I've spent a lot of money on accessories, so not sure it was such a good deal :)

Ha, that's funny, me too. I just bought an LCD for the back, at least I can frame the picture now. It's amazing the quality of those little things.

These aren't available yet... how did you buy one? Do they still have the constant fish-eye? That's the key thing keeping me away from these.

yeah, i'm curious about the fisheye thing as well.

is it noticeable up close? thought about getting one to use doing my youtube stuff but would want to be able to put it on a tripod and get a normal shot, not the fisheye thing...

Just picked up the new Vizio P-series 55" 4K as a new PC monitor. 4K stuff looks amazing on it. Been thinking about the Galaxy S5 phone lately, since it shoots 4K... I think previous Gopro that did 4K has a lower than 30fps rate though right? Time to look at 'em...

GOPRO 4 announced today.

It now shoots 4k30 frames and has better audio.

I just bought one last month and I'm loving this thing.
Hi Scott, good luck with your Go Pro. These statements are not a bash of the Go Pro. It is a Great video and still camera but...
Does the new model still record audio from behind (please correct me if I am wrong, as I don't have the new one)?Any option for audio from the front without accessories ? Any wind screen option? Or do you have to buy the external adapter for outboard mic, stereo mic and windscreen?
The Zoom Q4 HAS FRONT FACING 96k STEREO AUDIO and great windscreen included, with no adapters or extra mic and cables..... Every adapter I have ever used, always goes wonky when I really need it to work.
I use the front audio stereo mics on the Zoom Q-4(front facing OR external mike AND comes with a great wind screen for out door gigs) at 1/2 the Go Pro price (around $255 at MF with 15% off >> AND all go pro accessories work with the Q4.
That being said.. The Go Pro is a great camera BUT BOTH the Q4 ond Go Pro have the same fisheye effect close up.. (again please correct me if I am wrong, as I don't have the new one).:geek

Last edited:
These aren't available yet... how did you buy one? Do they still have the constant fish-eye? That's the key thing keeping me away from these.

Sorry, I just bought the hero3+. I was following the gopro forums, and they were saying October for the hero4, but I didn't want to wait for it. Yes, I should have waited. I don't really shoot in 4k, so I wasn't really worried about it, but the improved audio engine, has made me change my mind.

What are the specs of the audio engine?

this is what it says on their site.

HERO4_Black_Feature_10_audio.jpg
[h=2]Professional audio performance.[/h]Featuring a powerful new audio system, HERO4 Black captures clean, high fidelity sound. Its cutting-edge microphone delivers nearly 2x the dynamic range, while a best-in-class audio algorithm ensures your recordings sound smoother and more natural than ever.1 Plus, with its new, integrated ADC (analog-to-digital converter), HERO4 Black is compatible with a wider variety of professional low-sensitivity external mics3 for immersive stereo audio capture and enhanced performance, whether recording voices, an acoustic jam session or a live show.
- See more at: http://shop.gopro.com/cameras/hero4-black/CHDHX-401.html#.dpuf

Hi Scott, good luck with your Go Pro. These statements are not a bash of the Go Pro. It is a Great video and still camera but...
Does the new model still record audio from behind (please correct me if I am wrong, as I don't have the new one)?Any option for audio from the front without accessories ? Any wind screen option? Or do you have to buy the external adapter for outboard mic, stereo mic and windscreen?
The Zoom Q4 HAS FRONT FACING 96k STEREO AUDIO and great windscreen included, with no adapters or extra mic and cables..... Every adapter I have ever used, always goes wonky when I really need it to work.
I use the front audio stereo mics on the Zoom Q-4(front facing OR external mike AND comes with a great wind screen for out door gigs) at 1/2 the Go Pro price (around $255 at MF with 15% off >> AND all go pro accessories work with the Q4.
That being said.. The Go Pro is a great camera BUT BOTH the Q4 ond Go Pro have the same fisheye effect close up.. (again please correct me if I am wrong, as I don't have the new one).:geek

Yeah, the fish eye bothers me too a little bit. 4k30 for a 500.00 dollar camera is pretty cool though. I imagine there will be a lot of cameras using that same chip. I did video production in college, so I have always had a geeky love for small hi res cameras. I used to have 3 of those flip mino cameras, before Cisco bought them out. I'm not sure what chip those had.

I have wanted to buy one of those zoom video cameras.

Back
Top Bottom