For all you gigging with your AX8's!

Going the modelling route, using in-ear monitors, replacing PAR cans by LEDs actually minimized the workout I get during a gig. 🙄

@guitaroholic
@Jeronimo
@ChristThePhone
@fcs101
@chris
@Habuman
@Chris

I would think moving around on stage a lot for 3 hours in blistering heat would burn a lot of calories and using a heavy LP, moving it around to a lot of LEAD play would get one toned. Try moving a beast like that like butter and you'll see it's not that easy. The body has to be strong in all positions. A lot of static strength but a lot of dynamic strength too. I mean real movement like how Slash looks on stage.

Yes using a modeller means we have to be near our AX8's so that limits movement except for exercises of your big toe, haha!

I do feel my back is getting stronger with the LP however, as is my abs. I only worked out once this week and I'm getting toned and ripped. My only difference is I increased the time on the LP to one hour a day. I am working my way up to 3 hours a day for a real concert. When I say 1-3 hrs I mean non stop play. No sitting down, no resting except for 1-2 sentences in between tracks.

If you look at the physiques of the Edge and Bono during their Zoo TV tour and Slash's and Axel Rose's physique during their G&R days they were moving around on stage a lot .. Ripped up. I mean even without the gym that's a workout in itself. Add to that heavy guitars and you've got a lot of toning in there with the cardio.

A lot depends on the type of music you play and HOW you play it. For me I'm concentrating on rock riffs primarily with some dinner music (ambient) thrown in for an intro.

Right now I don't need to move around a lot .. Just playing the Slash LP is getting my lower back and shoulders and legs more toned and stronger. As I get more fit I'll increase the difficulty of movements until I look like a rockstar in action. Right now I'm all about technique not stagecraft so much. So fitness on the guitar isn't a big deal atm.

I don't gig but I stream atm which is my preparation for gigging down the line.

Last edited:
If you look at the physiques of the Edge and Bono during their Zoo TV tour and Slash's and Axel Rose's physique during their G&R days they were moving around on stage a lot .. Ripped up. I mean even without the gym that's a workout in itself. Add to that heavy guitars and you've got a lot of toning in there with the cardio.
I vaguely recall Bono saying in an interview that the band (at least him and Edge) and started working out because they were beginning to get a little soft.

Back
Top Bottom