For all the Les Paul folks out there

Supporting evidence?
The literal dozens of new Gibson guitars I have had to perform significant fretwork on since they started pleking the damn things. There are too many variables in a guitars construction to allow a one size fits all cookie cutter machine to do as good a job as a skilled craftsmen can.

The literal dozens of new Gibson guitars I have had to perform significant fretwork on since they started pleking the damn things. There are too many variables in a guitars construction to allow a one size fits all cookie cutter machine to do as good a job as a skilled craftsmen can.
Supporting evidence?
Objective vs. Subjective. Not being obtuse, genuine inquiry.

My understanding is that using a Plek machine is itself a real skill, there are masters and those who are not. It's not purely automated, no judgement or interaction required.

But I've never had it done, no real knowledge.

My local 'boutique' guitar dealer uses Plek, but it is used as a tool by the luthier rather than an end point. They used it on my old '75 Les Paul Custom after a refretting and I've been pleased with the results.

A PLEK machine is just a tool. It happens to be the best tool for leveling frets. Does it replace a skilled luthier? Of course not. But, wouldn't you want whoever is leveling your frets to use the best tool available?

I don't think that's how Pleking works.

Hi Musikron,

I dunno about that. I've only been with a Plek machine a couple of times while it was working (so I'm no expert), and I marvelled at the consistency and accuracy. It sure couldn't validate it's results as a craftsman could and would, but once setup for a production run it's very very accurate. You wouldn't use that sort of thing for 'once off' jobs, but to turn out 1000 guitars that are virtually identical, a CNC cut neck that is 'plek'ed' will get you there. Making sure the machine is set correctly.... well there's your skilled craftsman.

Thanks
Pauly

PLEK is just the replacement of a highly skilled craftsmen that does perfect work with a machine that only gets acceptable results, and marketed as a great improvement. Better for corporate bottom dollar to buy a $100k machine and pay some unskilled laborer to load it, than have someone who actually knows anything about guitars working in their factory at a respectable salary.
And they wonder why they’re failing...

While we were at the Holy Grail Guitar Show a couple of years ago, the luthiers could take a guitar to be checked by a Plek machine.
Ralph Bonte, a luthier from Bruges said his guitar was near perfect. Well within tolerances so it didn't have to be adjusted.
If the fretboard isn't straight, the frets won't be either but it can al be adjusted by the Plek machine.
Thus explaining why your labourer doesn't have to be as skilled as a highly skilled luthier. The Plek machine can fix it.

no factory knows your preference.
I wasn't talking about setup preference but simple things like having a perfect shaped nut so that strings won't bind, perfect fretwork and so on.
I used to do demos for Kramer and the company that imported them also imported Gibson. They had a fulltime luthier in service to fix all the crap that came from Gibson: frets sticking out, nuts falling out, faulty electronics, corroded hardware (noadays they stick it on a relic and charge double),....
Since then, I never wanted to touch one.

I’m thinking maybe we should get a new section named Gibson Hate under the General or Off Topic forums.
That way, all the hate for Gibson could congregate in one nice, happy place! :p

Got my Les Paul Standard Limited Colours Edition in early 1991 and been playing it since then.
never had any issues with tuning. Got a 2017 LP Standard HP a month ago. No tuning problems.
What am I missing..?

Got my Les Paul Standard Limited Colours Edition in early 1991 and been playing it since then.
never had any issues with tuning. Got a 2017 LP Standard HP a month ago. No tuning problems.
What am I missing..?

It’s not an issue for all Les Pauls. From my experience, it all depends on how well the nut was cut.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the nut is one of the most critical and important parts of a guitar.

Back
Top Bottom