Footswitch Topper Suggestions?

JJDon

So I saw others complain in another thread about the clear Barefoot Buttons sticking when pushing down and wanted to get some suggestions for other toppers that may not have the same problem? Preferably something that's clear.

For those unaware, with the barefoot buttons, for some reason if you press down at a slight angle that isn't straight down, the footswitch may not depress at all.

I bought some cheap-O crap aluminum ones off amazon a couple years ago. They fit a bit loose so I put a layer of vinyl tape around the top edge of the switch to take up the space and they have stayed in place ever since. Never had a button sticking down issue but I have put a lot of miles on my second switch mostly in a sitting position. That one switch binds a bit when I try to heel on the floor tap it while sitting. Taping as you would standing up doesn't bind. I think with any of the aluminum ones if you over tightened the set screws you can deform the cap of the switch that could cause them to bind stick whatever. Personally I'm not a big fan of this type of switch, would much prefer micro switches with a lever style like on Roland, Boss, Voodoo labs Ground Control, Behringer FCB1010. Much easier to trigger.

I sanded the edge of these to expose the aluminum and take the square edge off. Really was just trying to add bling. This is a picture when I first put them on but they have held up well.

Attachments

• IMG_3145.jpeg
    IMG_3145.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I used some Barefoot Buttons on my AX8 and they worked fine for me - no sticking ever. This is the first I'd heard of such a thing. I thought the Barefoot stuff was a little pricey.

I'm expecting a 10 pack of black aluminum toppers to arrive today from SoluTek (They have a store on Amazon). What I thought was interesting about these was they have a rubber insert to protect the switch tip (topper is made of aluminum) , but still use 3 set screws to secure them. Seems like a smart & logical solution, at least on paper. Plus they're a good bit less expensive than the Barefoot offerings. I'll report back when I have them installed. I went with black, I'm going for the Darth Vader thing I guess.

So I saw others complain in another thread about the clear Barefoot Buttons sticking when pushing down and wanted to get some suggestions for other toppers that may not have the same problem? Preferably something that's clear.

For those unaware, with the barefoot buttons, for some reason if you press down at a slight angle that isn't straight down, the footswitch may not depress at all.
Many people in that thread (including me) are using the Mooer mushroom toppers and having the issue as well.

I use them with no issues on my FC-12 so I'm still wondering why I experience this only with the FM9.

Thread for reference:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/sticky-crunchy-feel-to-buttons-on-fm9.179142/

Here are the Solutek toppers I got yesterday. I was not bothered by them partially covering the LEDs. They're still pretty hard to miss. I was checking out the Mooer shroom toppers too. Are they as fragile as some reviewers have indicated? Seems like you'd have to be stomping about like King Kong to break one, but I've never tried them. Photo Jan 20, 10 56 25 AM.jpg

Here are the Solutek toppers I got yesterday. I was not bothered by them partially covering the LEDs. They're still pretty hard to miss. I was checking out the Mooer shroom toppers too. Are they as fragile as some reviewers have indicated? Seems like you'd have to be stomping about like King Kong to break one, but I've never tried them.
The Mooer shroom toppers are comparatively reliable. Only downside is that the work only on standard FAS and other switches...they will not fit certain external stand-in footswitches. That reminds me, one of my externals requires some re-working...the switch is not toggling as its supposed to...perhaps a loose solder joint is the culprit...

Here are the Solutek toppers I got yesterday. I was not bothered by them partially covering the LEDs. They're still pretty hard to miss. I was checking out the Mooer shroom toppers too. Are they as fragile as some reviewers have indicated? Seems like you'd have to be stomping about like King Kong to break one, but I've never tried them. View attachment 94584
I have the Mooer mushrooms on my Mooer GE300. They are very reliable, however, I have struggled playing with them live, because the switches are so close together, the shroom makes the footprint larger and therefore I kept clipping the other swiches to the left and right when I didn't want them.

I just got the Mooer mushroom toppers today and they work way better than the Barefoot Buttons. A little lower profile, but if you press down at an angle, you don't encounter stuck buttons.

I did notice that when I took all of them off and just played the FM9 buttons bare, they would still sometimes stick depending on the angle of your foot. Even at non-extreme angles, they have a tendency to sometimes stick or not be super responsive. I think its just something to do with the FM9 buttons. I noticed that the FM9's buttons are taller than the Helix's buttons, so that could be one of the reasons for less responsive presses. Even if I press the Helix's buttons down from the side at an extreme angle, there is no sticking.

if you press down at an angle, you don't encounter stuck buttons
I still do...

I think its just something to do with the FM9 buttons.
Me, too... But as far as I understand they are the same as the FC-12 switches and I've never once had this issue with that unit.

I wonder if Fractal had to source different switches at some point? My FC is a few years old.

I've been using the Mooer mushroom toppers for a couple of years. Initially on my FC-6, later with my FM3 and FC-12. I've never had a problem with breakage or sticking. I have an FM9 still in the box that I have not opened yet, so I have not tested them on the FM9 foot switches. But on FM3, FC-6 and FC-12 they have worked great with zero issues. I don't stomp hard on the switches and have not had any breakage. I like them, and for the price they are a bargain.

Here is a link to where I purchased them on Amazon: MOOER Guitar Effects Pedal Footswitch Toppers

I've been using the Mooer mushroom toppers for a couple of years. Initially on my FC-6, later with my FM3 and FC-12. I've never had a problem with breakage or sticking. I have an FM9 still in the box that I have not opened yet, so I have not tested them on the FM9 foot switches. But on FM3, FC-6 and FC-12 they have worked great with zero issues. I don't stomp hard on the switches and have not had any breakage. I like them, and for the price they are a bargain.

Here is a link to where I purchased them on Amazon: MOOER Guitar Effects Pedal Footswitch Toppers
What are you waiting for, man?

At the very least you should take it out and fire it up to make sure it works! Not likely to get a dud, but anything is possible...

What are you waiting for, man?

At the very least you should take it out and fire it up to make sure it works! Not likely to get a dud, but anything is possible...
It's a long story why I have not opened the box. The short version is that multiple people in my family have been dealing with major health issues. My mom had major back surgery and required care when she got home and my 104 year old grandmother fell, broke her leg,and also had surgery to insert a rod in her femur. And my weekly gig did not start as planned dueto COVID-19 resurgence. I just haven't felt like opening up the box. But you're right about opening it up and testing. Motivation to open it this weekend.

It's a long story why I have not opened the box. The short version is that multiple people in my family have been dealing with major health issues. My mom had major back surgery and required care when she got home and my 104 year old grandmother fell, broke her leg,and also had surgery to insert a rod in her femur. And my weekly gig did not start as planned dueto COVID-19 resurgence. I just haven't felt like opening up the box. But you're right about opening it up and testing. Motivation to open it this weekend.
Wow... Sucks!

Home they are doing better...

Yup, it does suck. At least my mom is improving. My grandma is nearing the end. It's sad and hard. But none of us get out of here alive.

I'm opening my FM9 tonight.... I'll report on the mooer toppers after I install them.
Sorry to hear about the grandma...104 is a tough age to try to recover from surgery and do the PT...

I just thought to let you know that my 84 y.o. Mom broke her upper femur close to the hip back early October, received the surgery (docs said it the "best possible type of break one could hope for; easily fixed, minimally invasive, little to no blood loss.") Mom had the surgery done without receiving any blood or plasma.

Mom was transferred to a nursing home about 4 days later and stayed there for just under a month's time. November 4th, Mom was released to her apartment and used her walker for the first several weeks, then as her PT nurse said she could moved towards a cane. Mom eventually received the green light to be able to drive to her PT appointments, as well as do minor shopping trips, just so she didn't put too much weight on the leg when lifting or carrying.

Mom now can make it about her apartment without a cane, but tends to recognize that she walks more "intently," aware of her steps, how she turns and how much weight-bearing she can manage. Mom, at age 84, God bless her, expects to make a full recovery as the injury heals and things clear up for her.

Mom was exceptionally stressed about what the future would bring. I reassured her that it's "how well you apply yourself just so you know when not to overdo things. If you get tired from PT, snooze a little in the afternoon before dinner. This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon, and I hope both you and I can cross the finish line when we need to. Until then, endure, and just strengthen what you've already got."

Mom cracked a wry smile and said, "Bob, you'd better darn well learn to cook better and stop begging for ingredients from my larder. Jeez. Let me have some dignity, ya know?"

That was November 10th. Just prior to then with Mom's blessing, I purchased an FM9 that we both deemed a reward for my putting up with Mom when she wasn't in best form. "Ya earned it, mister," she said. "Spend your money with what you'll enjoy, cuz ya never know what the next day will bring."

So, that's my story. If my Mom will be anything like your Gram in about 18 years, I'd just be happy we've both got them still with us for a time. Once they're gone...yeah...

Back
Top Bottom