Footswitch to turn on two blocks?

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
I want one footswitch to toggle two blocks on and off at once. I don't mean scenes, this is for ad hoc effects within the current scene.

I'm not at my Axe, but is that doable?

CS per Scene settings in the Controllers menu. You can set each control switch to On, Off, or Last per scene. Last keeps the previous state when that scene is loaded.
I never knew about that setting. This completely changes everything for some of my more complex scenes. Thank you!

I never knew about that setting. This completely changes everything for some of my more complex scenes. Thank you!
"Last" keeps the most recent state, not what you last set it to while on that particular scene. So no, there isn't really a way to do what you're asking.

"Last" keeps the most recent state, not what you last set it to while on that particular scene. So no, there isn't really a way to do what you're asking.
Thanks for that info. I wish it could be sticky to a scene so I’ll add that to the wish list forum. Regardless, the ability to leave a switch on between scenes is a game changer for me too. I can definitely leverage that.

Here's the real world scenario that started this thread, takes a bit of explaining, though it's not that complicated:

I often build presets with four scenes at different levels of gain, each tweaked how I like. The other four are each based on one of those, with some combination of effects added.

Lately I've been experimenting with a drive block before the amp, each channel tuned for the same channel in the amp block. That drive block is off in all scenes, with a footswitch to turn it on, effectively doubling the number of basic tone channels, before adding any effects besides that drive.

Thing is, sometimes a drive tone I like involves pushing the amp input, which can make it louder. I'm looking for ways to turn the output down after the amp to compensate.

Scene volume wouldn't work to compensate for turning the drive block on, different amounts in each scene.

The simplest answer would be a post-amp EQ or volume or filter block that turns on and off at the same time as the drive, whose channel follows the amp and drive, which I could use to manage volume.

The feature discussed above, control switches that keep their state separately in each scene, would be perfect for this use. Any scene where I turned on the drive block and its companion volume compensator would remember, because the proposed sticky control switch would keep its value.

I like it. A bit trickier than I wish it was, but doable with that feature.

If anyone has ideas on how to get the same result with the current feature set, I'd love to hear em.

I put a volume block in front of my amp in all presets and then use different volume settings on the channels within scenes to control gain like the volume knob on my guitar and I also have it wired to a footpedal where I can change the gain that way too, plus I also have a volume block at the end of all my presets that is wired to another footpedal to control overall loudness. You could use the volume block at the end for what you want to do. I also use the channels on the post volume block for a lead boost- just set it up as +2 or similar. It simplifies things as I can just adjust the pre or post volume blocks in different presets for different amps but still have it setup for a global footswitch across all presets without having to edit anything else.

Here's the real world scenario that started this thread, takes a bit of explaining, though it's not that complicated:

I often build presets with four scenes at different levels of gain, each tweaked how I like. The other four are each based on one of those, with some combination of effects added.

Lately I've been experimenting with a drive block before the amp, each channel tuned for the same channel in the amp block. That drive block is off in all scenes, with a footswitch to turn it on, effectively doubling the number of basic tone channels, before adding any effects besides that drive.

Thing is, sometimes a drive tone I like involves pushing the amp input, which can make it louder. I'm looking for ways to turn the output down after the amp to compensate.

Scene volume wouldn't work to compensate for turning the drive block on, different amounts in each scene.

The simplest answer would be a post-amp EQ or volume or filter block that turns on and off at the same time as the drive, whose channel follows the amp and drive, which I could use to manage volume.

The feature discussed above, control switches that keep their state separately in each scene, would be perfect for this use. Any scene where I turned on the drive block and its companion volume compensator would remember, because the proposed sticky control switch would keep its value.

I like it. A bit trickier than I wish it was, but doable with that feature.

If anyone has ideas on how to get the same result with the current feature set, I'd love to hear em.
I use a Multiband Comp towards the end of my signal chain to even out the perceived volume caused by different scenes and effects. My path is usually drive/amp/cab/mod/delay/plex/reverb. I place the MBC after mod effects (chorus/flanger) and before the delays/plex/reverb. I keep the crossovers for the mid and high at their lowest settings (50 Hz and 100 Hz) and that works for me. The default settings changed my guitar tone too much. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom