Bug? Footswitch stopped working

cniers13

Hello,
I recently bought a used AX8 on reverb. I installed the latest firmware and wiped the parameters. However, the footswitch that controls the third spot has stopped working. It doesn't turn on or off any effects and will not allow me to select a preset in the preset menu. Any help? Thanks.

What is the foot switch that controls the third spot mean? Sounds like they just need to be configured.

The 3 footswitches along the right can be configured for there functionality directly on the unit. The remaining switches can be configured globally or per preset. It’s easy to configure the footswitchs via Axe edit.

I see. So in preset select mode, you see 7 of 8 lights blink. The preset you are on will be solid vs flashing. The 3rd Switch on the bottom doesnt switch presets when you push it and it’s flashing. Sounds like the button is malfunctioning.

I had a problem with switch number #4 - needed a hardware fix.

Looks like my two Line 6 HD500 units are
more reliable (/lasted longer with no problems)
and cost a lot less. Also, AX8 firmware updates are
ridiculously simple tweaks and even infrequent.

Majority of AX8 units have no problems. The Axe-Fx III just launched and being focused on more than the AX8 these days. There were way more substantial updates to the AX8 than most other products on the market have ever seen.

Sorry for your experience but if you've been around the forum for any length of time you'd know is not the norm. I've had my FX8 for 2.5 years, my AX8 for a year and a half with no issues whatsoever. I've gigged weekly with one or the other since purchasing them, sometimes not in ideal environments with dirt, dust and drastic temperature changes.

Your sentiment does not reflect the experience of most of Fractal's customers. I realize when it happens personally though that it really doesn't matter much but from my experience as well as testimonials from many others, Fractal is quick to make things right and very helpful, courteous and patient when dealing with it's customers. When someone encounters an issue, they typically send parts (if required) at no charge and walk you through step by step how to perform the repair, again at no cost. I've never even had them ask if the unit is still under warranty.

Since you bring up Line 6, I was an ardent supporter and user of their products for many years until I made the mistake of trying Fractal. Regarding firmware updates, I owned the POD XT Live for over 10 years and recall maybe a handful of updates in that time. The AX8 also had the benefit of many years of Fractal developing the Axe Fx II and the FX8 so most of the features and models (amp and effects) were well refined before it was even released so firmware updates don't need to include major overhauls or enhancements. That being said, the AX8 still received almost weekly updates within the first few months I had it and some included new amps, cabs and effects. Add the launch of the Axe III and things will understandably slow when it comes to other products. I'd be willing to guess the Line 6 POD HD and M series users have felt a bit unloved since the release of the Helix. Line 6 support also leaves much to be desired in my experience. Charging $90 to do a 10 minute update on a wireless transmitter is a bit ridiculous. I had to spend 2 months going back and forth with them before any resolution was reached.

No one is making you keep or use the AX8 so if you find that the Line 6 HD fits your needs, by all means use it. If you have a bad taste in your mouth and want to throw Fractal under the bus, it only comes across as biting the hand that feeds you.

Hello my #4 switch stopped working on unit FX8. Switches great from FX8-Edit. Nothing on unit. Did you have to send in to replace switch?

Back
Top Bottom