Footswitch status LED is weak

Armageddon

Hi all Axe FX users !

I am a brand new (and very happy) Axe FX 2 user. I own the XL version and loaded a Quantum 2.0.x firmware recently. I run the Axe FX 2 in 4CM on my guitar amp.

My question is about the pedal connectors on the Axe FX.
I'm using a footswitch on the first pedal input and an expression pedal on the second pedal input.
Everything works fine in terms of operating the pedals and desired results on the Axe FX...

The footswitch I use is the one that was provided with my amplifier head (a NOS custom amp). That's a typical latching footswitch. It is mounted with a red status led that is there to identify when the effects are engaged or not.
When I use that stomp box on my amp (to change channels) and activate it, the status led is bright and very visible. But, when I use it on the Axe FX 2, once lit, the led is VERY weak. I can't barely say if it is on or off.

Does that mean the Axe FX 2 pedal jacks do not provide enough power for the LED ?
Does that mean I'm using the wrong type of footswitch ? If yes, I did not find anything in the Axe FX documentation that explains what to use and what are the pedal inputs specifications.

Many thanks for your help and advices.

I'm pretty sure those inputs are designed for switches and pots only. It uses a reference voltage to track the switch state or pot position. It's not going to supply enough current to drive the LED. The Axe most likely has current limiting resistors on those inputs, but there a chance that pulling too much current there might damage something. I would use a different switch or rewire it to omit the LED.

If you want an LED indicator on the switch, you'll most likely need to use a double pole switch with one pole connected to the Axe and the other pole with a battery or external adapter to power an LED.

I'm pretty sure those inputs are designed for switches and pots only. It uses a reference voltage to track the switch state or pot position. It's not going to supply enough current to drive the LED. The Axe most likely has current limiting resistors on those inputs, but there a chance that pulling too much current there might damage something. I would use a different switch or rewire it to omit the LED.

If you want an LED indicator on the switch, you'll most likely need to use a double pole switch with one pole connected to the Axe and the other pole with a battery or external adapter to power an LED.

Thanks for your answer. That makes perfect sense indeed.
As the pedal jacks on the Axe FX are multi-purpose, we can assume it does not provide enough current to power things but just enough for pots and switches. Higher current could damage other accessories.
On the other hand the pedal jack on my amp is designed to be used with that stompbox and must be pulling a higher current to power the led.
I'll try to measure the current level on both jacks (Axe vs Amp) to confirm the difference.

Back
Top Bottom