Footswitch Question

Adinfinitum

Experienced
I set up the Footswitch Blocks Globally to have the FX i generally have per patch (luckily, most of the bundled/ factory / Axchange presets have some of these in each preset)

Drive 1 Drive 2 Delay Reverb
Phaser. Chorus Flanger X/Y

Of course, not every patch/preset has those FX.

Is there any way to have the Footswitches change per preset to show which FX are in the preset in order to turn them on/off?

Is there any way to have the Footswitches change per preset to show which FX are in the preset in order to turn them on/off?
Your global footswitch will be grayed out if there is no corresponding block in the preset.

Understood, but what I'd prefer is that I don't have any global blocks but each preset chnages to list whatever blocks are in the patches (we could have some global (say X/Y because i always set that up for all patches by switching in Boose and/bright for Y) and the rest change oer patvh. I believe Helix does this.

but what I'd prefer is that I don't have any global blocks but each preset chnages to list whatever blocks are in the patches

You can do that; don't use global footswitches, simply assign the footswitches per preset. Make it part of your preset creation routine. In AX8-Edit, you can drag/drop from the grid to the footswitches so it is very quick work.

I know, but that is a per patch solution. When you have 514 total patches that is even more annoying than resetting amp blocks after a firmware update. I have to check my Helix, but i believe it does that automatically on each patch.

Also, would love to be able to have a global wah or compressor in every patch instead of having to add a block to every single patch (like how the gate is always there) KPA allows you to lock an FX, like delay, so it is on every patch. Whether that particular profile has delay as part of the preset.

If you have 514 presets you are maintaining, I feel for you, brother. The only current solutions are per-preset switches or global switches. You could have a few of them per-preset and a few global, but one can't do both.

Global effect blocks and global amp blocks have been on the wishlist. The Axe-Fx II can do that but the AX8 wasn't designed with global blocks in mind. Even if we had global blocks (which is a touchy subject on the forum, btw), you'd still have to add the compressor to your preset, and then set it as global. There isn't a function on the Axe-Fx that allows auto-adding a global block to every preset (where would it put it on the grid?).

Thanks. I only have that many patches because i download a lot from Axchange to try out. Any one I like, imsave. As new firmware is released, I replace the one i don't noodle on with newer ones. I don't gig, so it is like I get a toy every few days - helps with GAS!

Thanks. I only have that many patches because i download a lot from Axchange to try out. Any one I like, imsave. As new firmware is released, I replace the one i don't noodle on with newer ones.
So you want to automatically add footswitches (and presumably blocks?) to other people's presets, most of which already have footswitches assigned?

No, i want to override those because many times, the blocks aren't correctly assigned. With Helix, switch presets, the IAs change to what blocks are actually in the patch. Pretty straightforward.

With Axe FX and MFC i can absolutely understand having the same block assigned to a specific IA, but not in the AX8.

Something seems to be getting lost in translation. My footswitch layout depends entirely on what preset I'm using. Sometimes bottom row is scenes, sometimes it's Amp X/Y, sometimes a Drive block, etc.

In other words, "switch presets, the IAs change to what blocks are actually in the patch" applies to my AX8, and most - as non-global is the default configuration.

How do you set that up to have the IAs switch as to what is in the patch? I couldn't find it by RTFM. If you can shoot me to the page in the FM or wiki or thread, that would be much appreciated.

I reset the system and it defaulted to scenes on the bottom row and 4 FX on top, but, when trying to reconfigure the bottom row, not all FX were there (I'm talking globally, not in the particular patch).

The issue is that, with the AX8, you can have more blocks than footswitches. And if you use scenes—which can be extremely handy—there are even fewer footswitches available for IAs. Which ones do you include, and which ones do you leave out? That's a personal choice, and it can only be made by you. The Global footswitch assignments aren't for that. They're kind of...global. :)

Another example: in some of my presets, I have just a touch of small-room reverb to fatten the sound. That's something I don't want to turn off. I'd rather not clutter up my layout by dedicating a footswitch to that, so I don't want the system to automatically add one.

The footswitch layout is a blank canvas unless you have it set to global. It can't just assign what ever is in the patch to a foot switch. What would happen if you have more fx than there are switches and how would it know what to put on what switch

How do you set that up to have the IAs switch as to what is in the patch? I couldn't find it by RTFM. If you can shoot me to the page in the FM or wiki or thread, that would be much appreciated.

I reset the system and it defaulted to scenes on the bottom row and 4 FX on top, but, when trying to reconfigure the bottom row, not all FX were there (I'm talking globally, not in the particular patch).

He's saying that each of his presets are set up with a footswitch layout that works for that preset. So when he changes presets, that footswitch layout is recalled & applies to that preset. There's no way to do what you're talking about as a global setting, like the previous few posts explain....too many scenarios where it would be impossible.

My recommendation would be to narrow down the number of presets you use. Or, when you do find one that you seem to spending a lot of time with and want to be more accessible, take the extra minute or so to set up the footswitches how you want them for that preset, save it and then its done.

Setting up your footswitches on the ax8 is something I've found to require a decent amount of thought as to how exactly you want your setup to function. I've had mine for a little more than a year now I think and I still haven't settled on it, mainly because I've only had it in a bedroom situation where its easy enough to just make changes in ax8edit. There are a ton of options, a ton of creative ways to get around your set of presets, and a ton of ways to overcomplicate OR oversimplify the setup.

As far as your system reset, per-preset footswitches is the default. So doing a system reset would have disable any global footswitches for 1-8. If you were scrolling through the FS options on a preset at that point and blocks were missing, its likely that you weren't looking at global FS options. I honestly don't know how to go about setting up global switches for 1-8, so I don't know if you could easily mistake the one process for the other. But when it 'defaulted to scenes on the bottom and fx on top' that was defaulting to per-preset switches and the preset you were on had the switches set up in that fashion. Assuming I'm interpreting your statements correctly.

Back
Top Bottom