• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Footswitch possibilities with FM3

Smittefar

Fractal Fanatic
For me (and for many, I think) the biggest worry about the FM3 in a live setting is the number of footswitches.

@orion32773 made this video showing some of what can be done with three switches. I am at work, so I have only listened to the video, but it sure sounds like there are some great pointers in there.

for those maybe wanting to see a demo of 3 switches in action I just release this video with the Axe Fx 3 and FC-6 minus 3 buttons to see how I could make it work

I currently use my AX8 like this: I have presets for every song, and each preset has scenes for every part of the song. So far my most complicated song preset uses five scenes. Obviuosly, 3 buttons do not allow instant access to all five scenes.

As I understand it, you can switch layout with each press of a footswitch, so I am wondering, if the following would be possible. Basically, I want to attach a layout to each scene. So, for example, I might be on the song's "Chorus" scene, and from there, I might go to the "Verse" scene, but one time, I have to go to the "Lead/Solo" scene. Is it possible to attach a layout to the Chorus scene that has a switch for Verse and a switch for Lead. Then if I switch to "Verse", I see a new layout that allows me to go to Chorus or maybe, the bridge?

If this works, and I get it set up correctly, I could mostly be pressing one button all night, and then the remaining two buttons could be for those cases, where a chorus is not followed directly by a verse.

Here is an example: Summer of 69 has four parts: Intro/verse, Chorus, Bridge, and an outro solo.

Scene 1: Intro/Verse Layout 1, FS1 Chorus
Scene 2 Chorus, Layout 2, FS1 Intro/Verse, FS2 Bridge, FS3 Outro Solo
Scene 3 Bridge, Layout 3, FS1 Chorus
Scene 4 Outro Solo, Layout 4 - Nothing - or maybe for max flexibility: FS1 Chorus, FS2 Bridge, FS3 Intro/verse

In this case, I will be pressing FS1 at every change, except when we go to the bridge, or when we go to the outro solo. This would sooooo work for me :)

Randalljax

Forum Addict
You can hit 5 scenes
Button 1 toggles scen1/2
Hold for next preset

Button 2 toggles scene 3/4

Button 3 is scene 5
Hold tuner

Smittefar

Fractal Fanatic
I know, but the other way would require less thinking on my part while playing. (It would require much more thinking while setting it up though :) )

Smittefar

Fractal Fanatic
As I understand it, you can switch layout with each press of a footswitch, so I am wondering, if the following would be possible. Basically, I want to attach a layout to each scene. So, for example, I might be on the song's "Chorus" scene, and from there, I might go to the "Verse" scene, but one time, I have to go to the "Lead/Solo" scene. Is it possible to attach a layout to the Chorus scene that has a switch for Verse and a switch for Lead. Then if I switch to "Verse", I see a new layout that allows me to go to Chorus or maybe, the bridge?

If this works, and I get it set up correctly, I could mostly be pressing one button all night, and then the remaining two buttons could be for those cases, where a chorus is not followed directly by a verse.

Here is an example: Summer of 69 has four parts: Intro/verse, Chorus, Bridge, and an outro solo.

Scene 1: Intro/Verse Layout 1, FS1 Chorus
Scene 2 Chorus, Layout 2, FS1 Intro/Verse, FS2 Bridge, FS3 Outro Solo
Scene 3 Bridge, Layout 3, FS1 Chorus
Scene 4 Outro Solo, Layout 4 - Nothing - or maybe for max flexibility: FS1 Chorus, FS2 Bridge, FS3 Intro/verse

In this case, I will be pressing FS1 at every change, except when we go to the bridge, or when we go to the outro solo. This would sooooo work for me :)
I just checked the FC manual. The above example is totally doable with layout link.
FC_LayoutLink.jpg

This means the three buttons on FM3 will definitely be enough for me. In most songs, I probably only need a scene 1-2 toggle, but even in songs that have 4 or more sections/sounds/scenes, I can still get away with just tapping Foot Switch 1 90% of the time.

Randalljax

Forum Addict
I just checked the FC manual. The above example is totally doable with layout link.
View attachment 54555

This means the three buttons on FM3 will definitely be enough for me. In most songs, I probably only need a scene 1-2 toggle, but even in songs that have 4 or more sections/sounds/scenes, I can still get away with just tapping Foot Switch 1 90% of the time.
Ya i somehow totally missed that
It is an awesome feature to toggle
Then tap to change layouts

I am guessing you could likely specify which scene to load as well like scene sticky on AX8

So everytime you recall scenes layout scene2 loads

bradlake

Axe-Master
And don’t forget, one of the coolest features of FM3 we recently learned, External footswitches connected to the FM3 can be mapped to ANY function that the onboard switches can do......very big deal.

Randalljax

Forum Addict
And don’t forget, one of the coolest features of FM3 we recently learned, External footswitches connected to the FM3 can be mapped to ANY function that the onboard switches can do......very big deal.
So i wonder in the editor when you connect external switch if it will sense
That and open up another 2 blocks ir 4 blocks of footswitch options

Also i know stupid question but maybe you have answer
Mission pdal w toe switch can it be wah then whammy when hitting the switch or any dual function???

Thanks

bradlake

Axe-Master
So i wonder in the editor when you connect external switch if it will sense
That and open up another 2 blocks ir 4 blocks of footswitch options

Also i know stupid question but maybe you have answer
Mission pdal w toe switch can it be wah then whammy when hitting the switch or any dual function???

Thanks
I am hoping the former is the case! But we don’t know that , hopefully @Greg Girardin and whoever is writing the editor can do it.

No idea about the mission.....

Based on Gregs post in the FM3 answers. Thread about full midi implementation as of today
I am going to say probably
That would be useful if so, (scenes called up using MIDI PC). I am thinking that the Tech 21 Midi Mongoose would sit very nicely in front of the FM3 and could then be used for scenes 1-5 of whatever preset is selected. I pretty much use 1 preset on my AX8 with 5 scenes so that would be perfect.

Top Bottom