Footswitch not working....

blueswede

I have been using my FX8 for about 3 years every Sunday with no issues. Yesterday went to chuck and hooked everything up and discovered that the button for one of my effects would not work. Clicked it a number of times and nothing. Do I need to replace it it, and if so, how difficult is that?

I’ve had buttons go bad from use & contacted Fractal for a replacement w/ no issues. Send them an e-mail & explain the issue is in detail. They’ll get you all fixed-up.

Is it your most used button? Possibly #1 (Just curious)?

Good luck!

X

Last edited:
I thought I had a bad footswitch once, but I ended up stomping it harder than usual (I am gentle on my gear) a couple times. It ended up working again and hasn't been an issue since. Can't really explain it! I was about to send it to Fractal when I decided to give it some tough love first, haha.

It was easy for me & I’ve replaced two switches so far. You’re not doing anything w/ electronics here & all mechanical.....

If you’re not comfortable with this, get some help.

X
I went on this messageboard hoping that I would find some kind of tutorial on how to take apart my FX-8 to replace the footswitches. I was disappointed that no one posted one on this forum so I decided to post my own tutorial for those of you who need to remove & replace your FX-8 or AX-8 footswitches.

Ian DeSantis from Fractal Audio tech support has been very helpful in resolving my footswitch issues and directed me to a link to obtain parts for my FX-8 footswitch. Please note that the replacement footswitch is listed as the AX-8 footswitch on their website. It's the same part for both the AX-8 & FX-8.

I ordered 3 new footswitches from Fractal Audio for my FX-8. I bought a used 3 year old FX-8 Mark II off of Reverb that belonged to a guitarist from a major act and was used on the road.The 3 footswitches with issues had the metal cap on top of the footswitch started falling off on their own. I've tried to super glue the metal caps, but it was a temporary solution until the metal cap loosened up and seperated from the footswitch. I just finished installing 3 new footswitches on my FX-8 floor effects processor. If you're doing the installation yourself, you'll need the following tools:

#1 Phillips screwdriver
Socket wrench driver
9/16" deep socket

1) Unscrew the 5 screws on both of the side panels.

2) Unscrew the 4 screws on the top of the rear panel. Be sure to put all of your screws in a bowl so you don't lose them.

3) Carefully separate the chassis from the top shell. Do not yank or damage the ribbon cables inside.

4) You'll have to locate and unscrew the 8 screws for the footswitch circuit board on the top shell of the FX-8

5) Afterwards, you'll need a socket wrench with 9/16" deep socket to unbolt & loosen the footswitch from the top panel of the FX-8. Once you unbolt the old footswitch, loosen it by hand from the top panel. There will be a lock washer on the bottom half of the footswitch and a nut & washer on the top half of the top panel. Take notice of this orientation of the hardware.

6) Install the new footswitch. Take off the nut & nylon washer. Make sure to leave the lock washer on the footswitch. The lock washer will be underneath the top panel to lock it in position. Slide footswitch through the top panel with the notch of the footswitch lined up with the top panel. The notch will be facing towards you if you're standing in front of the top panel. Do not unscrew the bottom of the footswitch. The spring will pop out if you do that! Ask me how I know. :( Screw on the nylon washer & nut. Use your 9/16" deep socket & socket wrench driver to fasten the nut to the top panel firmly. Do not over tighten the nut.

7) Reinstall both side panels and fasten the 5 screws on each side.

8) Reinstall the 4 screws on the top of the rear panel. You're finished. Test the FX-8 by plugging in the AC cord, turn on the FX-8, let it boot up. Test that the footswitches are working correctly with no issues.

My personal commments: I've owned & used a Zoom G9.2tt floor effects processor for over 5 years for my cover band gigs and have done numerous repairs from replacing the expression Z pedal (broke in half duing a show, out of production now, hard to find, poorly made), adjustment knobs falling off from being bounced around on my pedalboard, footswitch smashed into chassis by asshole band member when I was offstage (repaired the next day by taking apart the processor), to spraying electronic cleaner on the footswitch circuit board due to dust/dirt/moisture effecting the footswitch circuitry. The 2 dozen screws on the bottom panel of the G9.2tt made it a PITA to disassemble/assemble. After working on the Zoom G9.2tt numerous times, I know my way around working on a floor effects processor.

Fractal Audio FX-8 floor processor: Taking apart the FX-8 for footswitch replacement, the engineering & design is well thought out. The top shell with the footswitches mounted on top with their circuit board is sturdy & well made, the aluminum side panels are strong and uses quality screws to fasten to the chassis. The chassis is well made & can take impact well, though I would not subject it to extreme abuse. The circuit board is mounted with stand offs and can withstand vibration & shock. I didn't find any dirt on the circuitry which shows that the top shell & side panels seals the processor from dirt/dust/moisture. The 10 side panel screws, 4 top rear panel screws, and 8 footswitch circuit board screws mounted on stand offs makes it easy to service for the musician with a little bit of mechanical aptitude and a couple of tools that can be found in your toolbox.
Guitar George

Last edited:
A handy writeup!

I think I'm missing 4 metal caps at this point? I don't notice any difference and the ones I've found sit in my toolbox. I figure if I can't find a buyer if/when I part with the unit, I'll order new switches.

A handy writeup!

I think I'm missing 4 metal caps at this point? I don't notice any difference and the ones I've found sit in my toolbox. I figure if I can't find a buyer if/when I part with the unit, I'll order new switches.

It doesn't affect the functionality of the FX-8, but it just looks bad to me cosmetically. When I'm playing shows, the metal caps of the footswitch pops up in the air & falls off. I have to pick them up and put them in my pocket. I tried super gluing them back on and tapping the cap back on with a rubber mallet, but they still fall off from being stepped on. I'm surprised that there isn't a hole drilled on the side of the metal cap with an allen screw to fasten the metal cap to the footswitch shaft. It would be more practical than replacing the entire footswitch. The new footswitches costed me $8 each plus shipping & tax. I feel better that the footswitches have been replaced. I've kept the footswitches with the missing metal caps in case one of my other footswitches fails and know how to replace the footswitches, so I have spare parts as a backup.

Guitar George

I didn't even realize they were the caps to the switches when I first found one in our jamspace. I don't really notice a difference in their being off either. Worth noting that once they pop off I just store them (though I've lost one or two). Having a set screw design would make sense if it's a common issue. Part of why I switched to the FX8 was for a strong build, as I'm heavy footed.

Back
Top Bottom