Footswitch help

JJunkie

Power User
Hi

Here is something that I can't figure out myself and need help on. I have a couple of footswitches that I would like to use in the pedal inputs but it seems that the axe-fx only recognises their open/closed states. This causes problems for me because the initial modifier state is not always consistent with the pedal's state when I first enter into a patch and so it sometimes requires me to stomp on the pedal two times to get the Axe to respond to the pedal

What I really want the Axe-FX to do is simply recognise every time I stomp on a switch, independent of what the state of the footswitch is.

What settings do I need to have for this to work? Cheers!

Last edited:
As in an actual momentary switch? Or is that the setting in axe?

As in an actual momentary switch. The settings in the Axe will let you set a momentary switch to latching if needed, but a physically latching switch will always send a latched signal (open or closed).

Oh ok. In that case I am thinking to order a momentary switch to replace the one in my existing pedal (the part is just a few dollars), but there seems to be a number of different variations, e.g. single pole single throw, triple pole double throw, on and momentary off, off and momentary on. Not sure what I need exactly,

I swapped the switch for a momentary one (SPST normally open), but I am still having the exact same problem as before? In Axe-fx, the pedal type is set to momentary. If I set it to latching, the modifier value is always at maximum and drops to minimum only for the duration that I press the switch for. What have I done wrong now?

What I really want the Axe-FX to do is start a preset with an initial modifier value, and then simply recognise every time I stomp on a switch and change the modifier value accordingly. I want this to be independent of what the state of the footswitch is.

I was assuming you were connecting this to an MFC or such, I am not sure connected straight to axe fx. I will give this a try when I get home from work tonight if know on else Chimes in.

Ok I just got to my axe fx And connected a momentary keyboard sustain pedal to the pedal jack in the back of the axe fx. I set the pedal 2 jack (the one I pluged the pedal into) In the pedal page of the I//O menu to momentary, and then calibrated it buy scrolling to pedal 2 calibrate, press enter, run the switch on and off and hit enter again. now the switch is calibrated. Then in the ctrl page I set ext 5 to pedal 2. I went to a random preset and assigned the ext 5 to drive bypass. when I now press the switch 1 time the drive bypasses and then with another press of the switch it reengages. I tried this on delay also at the same time in the same preset and they both worked together.

Thanks for doing that. Yeah it seems to do the same thing here as well. Maybe I wasn't very clear on this earlier, these simple little things can be tricky to write about, but it would be great, though , if I could call up my preset, and it starts at the same value every time (i.e. use the PC reset function) - and now here is the tricky part: I want the Axe-fx to disregard what the state of the footswitch is. Because when I enter into this preset the footswitch state may not be the same as what the initial value is (and would then require two taps to make the modifier value change initially).

So the axe-fx opens the preset with an initial modifier value and then with each subsequent footswitch tap, the modifier jumps to the opposite extreme of its current position. Is there currently a way to do this?

Last edited:
Ok, I see. With PC reset on will it not be the original save state upon recall? It works this way with my MFC in between the foot switches, I have not used the rear pedal jacks much. I was under the assumption that it would reset to the original state an value that was set before the modifier was added. The only tricky part should be which way the modifier would go first when you hit the switch. It is possible that this will only reset to the initial value for the ext ctrl that is set in the I/O menu(are you aware of these settings?). What are you trying to control? you want a set value to start, and then a higher and then lower value with the foot switch(3 values)? or you just want 2 values but it must always start on a set one? I will play with this more tonight

I'm currently cleaning out / organising my guitar room and I came across this pedal that I bought back when I first purchased the axe-fx Standard seven years ago, never really used it due to the issue stated above. With my FCB 1010 uno and scenes now on the axe-fx II, I actually don't need another pedal, but I am reluctant to abandon it. Actually, its been cool using it as a momentary pedal (set to latching in I/O menu) with reverb hold, so I might just settle for using it in that way.

But yeah, I have always wanted to work out how I can get the axe-fx to start on a modifier value, like 0 (i.e. bypass the block), and just follow a sequence (alternating between 2 modifier values with every tap 0->100->0) that doesn't require me to tap twice initially.

I'm starting to think this is not in the Axe's pedal input capabilities. This is what MIDI controllers are for I guess.

But what you want is exactly what I made it do with my axe fx. you just have to set up the modifier to start were you want it. then set the starting %in the I/O menu and use pc reset so it will start in the same state with preset change.one step turns it on next step turns it off again. I don't understand why it will not work for you. What axe fx do you have? I will make a simple preset for you and set it up on what ever effect you want with what ever external controller you want the pedal set to and you will just have to set up the pedal in the I/O menu and the starting % of the external.

Hi Paranoid, here is how I have it set up.

I have Axe-FX II XL+

I/O-> Ctrl menu, external 4 assigned to Pedal 2

I/O-> Pedal menu, pedal 2 type set to momentary

In preset, I want to control a filter block for a 3.5 dB boost

Attach 'External 4' to the block's level parameter, turn PC reset ON, Min = 0dB, Max = 3.5 dB

Check that saved level value is 0dB, save the preset.

Exit the preset and tap the pedal so that it is open, flip back to the preset, and yes, initial level value is 0 dB, but it still takes me 2 taps to make the boost happen. The first tap closes the switch, so there is no change in level. The second tap engages the 3.5 dB boost.

Last edited:
Ok I will try this tonight. I have an xl but should still work the same. But what do you mean tap the pedal so it is open? a momentary pedal is open or closed depending on type, stepping on it only flips this until you lift off of it. Is your new switch not working momentary? Have you tried swapping the ext initial value for external 4 in the I/O menu?

its weird. The footswitch is momentary (this one http://pedalpartsaustralia.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_13&products_id=134)

but In I/O I need to set pedal type to latching for it to behave as a momentary switch that is normally open and is closed when depressed. When I set pedal type to to momentary, it behaves like a latching switch. Maybe I wired it up the wrong way around?

Have you tried swapping the ext initial value for external 4 in the I/O menu?

Sorry I don't really know how to do this. Is this supposed to be in the Ctrl or pedal tab?

Ok I think I know the Problem. 1: the filter block needs to be saved bypassed before you add the modifier, because PC reset returns it to its original state, then add the modifier. 2: Set the pedal 2 switch type as contuinous, and calibrate the switch like it is an expression pedal. 3: set external 4 to pedal 2. I hope saveing it bypassed before the modifier is added will fix this for you!. I can not seem to get the I tested this with on the forum or the axechange, I guess I have some more learning to do.

2: Set the pedal 2 switch type as contuinous, and calibrate the switch like it is an expression pedal.

Actually, setting the pedal to 'continuous' didn't really help, because the block only bypasses when I press the pedal down and hold it there.

Thanks for all your help so far Paranoid, its much appreciated. Though I am actually liking using this pedal as a momentary one for reverb hold at the moment so I might keep it like this for now. I have at least satisfied my objective of finally using this pedal, so I'm pretty happy.

Back
Top Bottom