Footswitch for looper

Renderman

Inspired
I'm just a bedroom guitarist, and until now I haven't had any need for a foot controllers of any sort. But last weekend I discovered the joy of the Looper block. I also discovered the frustration of trying to stop the looper in time to get a repeatable phrase. What is my cheapest option for getting a footswitch to control it?

I have a Behringer FCB1010. It's a decent little controller. You have all sorts of options for assigning looper functions. I have a bank that has the top row of buttons for controlling the looper and the bottom row for switching scenes. A new FCB will cost you $150.

You will be hard-pressed to find a better controller for the $ than the FCB1010. I have used one for years with a number of devices and highly recommend it. Be aware though that the manual is translated-German gibberish and any pedal configuration editing should be done with a s/w editor. I use Ripwerkx which is free and can be found in the files section of the FCB1010 Yahoo group and probably some other places. It's a java app so the Java run-time (also free) is required. Lots of Axe/FX owners use the FCB so there's no shortage of knowledgeable folks here to help out.

You will be hard-pressed to find a better controller for the $ than the FCB1010. I have used one for years with a number of devices and highly recommend it. Be aware though that the manual is translated-German gibberish and any pedal configuration editing should be done with a s/w editor. I use Ripwerkx which is free and can be found in the files section of the FCB1010 Yahoo group and probably some other places. It's a java app so the Java run-time (also free) is required. Lots of Axe/FX owners use the FCB so there's no shortage of knowledgeable folks here to help out.
I don't think Ripwerx works with the standard ROM chip, does it? I thought it was for the UnO chip.

FCB1010 would be perfect for your needs. I'd go with eureka prom chip...has all functions programmed incl the looper. no editor needed. boom.

I have an fcb1010 also.
I have it modded and set it up so the bottom set of buttons change scenes while the top layer act as stomp boxes and turn on delay 1 ,drive 1,phaser 1 ,start looper and stop looper.
The way I have it set make it a little bit of a pain as you have to double press the pedal as they are latching.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Chris - I tried using the Trim control, but it didn't seem to work as expected. It was almost as if it kept the loop the same length as it originally was, but replaced the last bit with silence.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Chris - I tried using the Trim control, but it didn't seem to work as expected. It was almost as if it kept the loop the same length as it originally was, but replaced the last bit with silence.
Did you trim both sides? It definitely works.

Probably me getting it wrong, then. I didn't need to trim the front, because I was using the threshold function to start the recording. I'll give it a try today. But now that folks have been talking about the FCB1010, it does look kind of useful.

Probably me getting it wrong, then. I didn't need to trim the front, because I was using the threshold function to start the recording. I'll give it a try today. But now that folks have been talking about the FCB1010, it does look kind of useful.
Yeah a footswitch is great for sure. But yeah trimming the end should work. Do it on the hardware for a visual representation.

Finally decided to pull the trigger on the FCB1010. Will I need to order a MIDI cable too, or does it come with everything need to hook it up to the Axe FX?

I think you need to order a midi cable. You can of course use the learn function in the axe If all you want to do is control the looper.

Back
Top Bottom