Footswitch Broke

One of my foot switches popped out on my FM3. Since I am new to this forum and haven't surpassed 10 posts I can not post a picture. To explain, the tip of my foot switch popped off. It is no longer attached to the unit. It includes the tip and two springs. Is there a simple fix or does it require a new foot switch?

One of my foot switches popped out on my FM3. Since I am new to this forum and haven't surpassed 10 posts I can not post a picture. To explain, the tip of my foot switch popped off. It is no longer attached to the unit. It includes the tip and two springs. Is there a simple fix or does it require a new foot switch?
I'd suggest contacting support.
Is it still under warranty?
They can probably help you either way, just maybe at a cost.
If you're in the US that is, if not, contact your local distributor.

@iaresee can probably allow you to post images...

I haven't really heard of this happening on the newer hardware.

I do recall seeing it happen on the MFC-101 and the AX8 though.

Sorry this has happened. Is the FM3 under warranty yet?
I can’t say exactly how the button is retained (probably machines crimped or a retaining clip) but very likely this is a mechanical failure and will need replaced. I would contact support ASAP and get some guidance from Fractal.

Last edited:
Yes, definitely a “not supposed to be like that” mechanical issue, though I can’t say failure as I don’t know what caused it. In the USA, go to this page for assistance: https://www.fractalaudio.com/getting-help/

If you’re on another continent, you’ll need to contact your dealer for service information/parts/repair.

If you don’t mind, keep us posted on what you learn… it might help one of us should we experience the same issue. It would also be helpful if you’d share how it came to be this way; accidentally stomped on too hard, dropped, just popped off in normal use, etc, if any of that applies.

It would also be helpful if you’d share how it came to be this way; accidentally stomped on too hard, dropped, etc, if any of that applies.
Unfortunately right from the start and brand new any type of moving mechanical switch is only rated for so many cycles. With higher quality switches it’s a large number, larger than the likely life of the product. (Hopefully) But the nature of how they must be constructed (form and cost considered) they will fail eventually. If you ever taken apart a cheap version you would see how fragile they can be. As far as I can tell the Fractal hardware is above standard quality. I guess what I saying is there wouldn’t need to be any “outside normal parameters use” to have this happen. More likely an oddball factory assembly and/or mechanical defect.

I agree stomping hard will accelerate things.👍

Unfortunately right from the start and brand new any type of moving mechanical switch is only rated for so many cycles. With higher quality switches it’s a large number, larger than the likely life of the product. (Hopefully) But the nature of how they must be constructed (form and cost considered) they will fail eventually. If you ever taken apart a cheap version you would see how fragile they can be. As far as I can tell the Fractal hardware is above standard quality. I guess what I saying is there wouldn’t need to be any “outside normal parameters use” to have this happen. More likely an oddball factory assembly and/or mechanical defect.

I agree stomping hard will accelerate things.👍
Agreed, anything mechanical is on its way to failure from the first use. The devil is in the details, as they say, and I was staying away from assuming anything based on the very limited information in the OP or follow-up picture. It’s broken, no doubt! Just curious to know if there is anything else to consider on how it came to be that way.

A holdover from decades of crime investigations, I’m sure! :sunglasses:

Agreed, anything mechanical is on its way to failure from the first use. The devil is in the details, as they say, and I was staying away from assuming anything based on the very limited information in the OP or follow-up picture. It’s broken, no doubt! Just curious to know if there is anything else to consider on how it came to be that way.

A holdover from decades of crime investigations, I’m sure! :sunglasses:
Yes, I do too definitely want to know more details. This is one of those “bummer simple, but puts out commission” types of things. I just wanted to expound a bit of my expertise so to speak. I did a good bit of mechanical and electrical testing on interconnects, cables, switches, etc. at one time. I guess it’s hard to put to sleep those things we did for years.😉

Yes, definitely a “not supposed to be like that” mechanical issue, though I can’t say failure as I don’t know what caused it. In the USA, go to this page for assistance: https://www.fractalaudio.com/getting-help/

If you’re on another continent, you’ll need to contact your dealer for service information/parts/repair.

If you don’t mind, keep us posted on what you learn… it might help one of us should we experience the same issue. It would also be helpful if you’d share how it came to be this way; accidentally stomped on too hard, dropped, just popped off in normal use, etc, if any of that applies.
I will contact support and let you know what I find out. It is under warranty. Thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom