Footcontroller & Axe-Edit MIDI merging with Midisport 2x2

Bakerman

Axe-Master
Here's something that might be of interest to those with 2x2s, or worth trying with any multi-port interface. I don't recall any past threads on this, tried it this morning and it works.

(My interface is a Steinberg USB2MIDI, apparently the same thing as the non-anniversary Midisport 2x2 in a different shell. Steinberg recommends the M-Audio driver since the USB2MIDI is discontinued, and that's the driver I'm using.)

With Axe-Edit running, it's possible to use software like SendSX or Midi-Ox to merge footcontroller data to the same output as Axe-Edit. Assuming you're using In A/Out A with Axe-Edit, here's what the connections would be:

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/6995/midisportmerge.png

With SendSX: choose In B & Out A as the ports, enable Midi Thru.

For 2-way communication with MFC-101, etc:

As far as I can tell (my controller is a Midimate, 1-way communication) this should work if you connect 2x2 out B to the controller's in, open a second instance of SendSX, choose In A & Out B, thru enabled. SendSX shows data from the Axe-FX out and the interface's Out B light blinks.

With Midi-Ox you just need one instance to get 2-way merging: Choose the 2x2 ports in midi devices, view port routings and connect In B to Out A, In A to Out B.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/6535/midiox.png

Unlike SendSX this retains a working 2-way setup after closing/restarting. With SendSX you'll need to select the correct ports in one instance each time.

P.S. If you swap the roles of the ins (or outs, but not both) on the 2x2 from the above description you can switch it to thru mode and still use the footcontroller. http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/3996/midisportmerge2.png

Last edited:
I couldnt get MIDIOX to download right can we get some more in depth walk through for how this is done for us MIDIots?

I did this with midi-ox using that slick route feature before I bought my midimerger and it worked great... it also let me monitor all the traffic. Good post!

MIDI-Ox is an absolute must have for anyone using MIDI if you ask me. The monitoring feature is great, but the routing and data mapping opens up an entire new world of geekdom that is unparalleled. I'd recommend installing MIDI YokeNT as well and possibly Bome's MIDI Translator if you want to do some really creative stuff. Of course if you are just using your footcontroller as is and want to merge stuff none of that is really necessary, but if you want to learn what MIDI really is capable of or even better yet, need to troubleshoot something these are fantastic apps.

Has anyone been able to make this work with an equivalent linux program, or with wine? I'm running Ubuntu.

Since this method uses both midi in and midi out on the footcontroller, and because the midisport only has 5 pin in/outs, I would not be able to use phantom power with the footcontroller correct? Say with the Liquid Foot?

Since this method uses both midi in and midi out on the footcontroller, and because the midisport only has 5 pin in/outs, I would not be able to use phantom power with the footcontroller correct? Say with the Liquid Foot?

Not with a 7-pin cable but Rocktron makes a 5-to-7-pin w/ power connection at the 5-pin end. Amazon.com: Rocktron 5-Pin To 7-Pin MIDI Cable: Musical Instruments If the LF adapter fits the Axe-FX phantom power in jack it should fit that cable too.

In the process of hooking my mfc up. A couple guys pointed me to this thread.
I have a mac. So would this setup work with MidiPipe?

I have the axe on In A Out A. Then the MFC on In B Out B. In midi Pipe I have created 2 pipes. One with In B going to Out A. And one with In A going to Out B. I have the merge button enabled on the midisport 2x2 anniversery.

The foot controller will change patches but displays no info for the patch. And Axe Edit connects but can't send anything to the Axe.

Any Ideas?

Does Axe-Edit work fine when it's the only program running? That should be the first goal. Once you run MidiPipe and create the in/out items, watch for activity on the 2x2's In A and Out B LEDs when changing presets with the MFC. That will let you know MidiPipe is at least trying to pass the patch info from Axe to the MFC. Maybe try Midi Patchbay instead if that doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom