Food for Thought -- Why Fractal Is Better

You know what? Any product that can help folks do their job better is good in my view.

What I've discovered with the FM3, is that it behaves like a well-trained obedient child. It does what it's told, and produces good things when good things are inputted. Similarly, if you mess things up and feed the FM3 bad input, it will return the same.

Although I'm not a parent myself, I appreciate a product when it serves as a helper that understands what I'd like to work towards as my goal. The FM3 just waits until its fed the correct information, and then I'm always amazed at how well the "child" has done. ;)
This is a big one too, the reliability and CONSISTENCY night after night......
If the well behaved child is the FM3, the possessed demon sibling from hell is it's tube amp brother 😈 inconsistent and moody depending on so many things, prone to random failures at high volumes (transporting heavy tube amps in the back of the truck on bad roads obviously doesn't help) and the fact that I can have Rockstar sounds at bedroom levels? Come ON! ;)

Not to mention the top notch support, forums, knowledge bases, eg wiki, YouTube, literature, constant and regular major FREE updates, the ability to use it as an interface, a hub for all your gear, the ability to tweak at a super deep level that no one else offers, tons of pristine effects, all with major tweakability, tons of hard to find and expensive amps, weight advantage, setup time advantage, run-direct and sound amazing still advantage, routability, flexibility, oh the list goes on......

It's almost silly to NOT own one as a guitar player these days. I can't afford NOT to.....

This is a big one too, the reliability and CONSISTENCY night after night......
If the well behaved child is the FM3, the possessed demon sibling from hell is it's tube amp brother 😈 inconsistent and moody depending on so many things, prone to random failures at high volumes (transporting heavy tube amps in the back of the truck on bad roads obviously doesn't help) and the fact that I can have Rockstar sounds at bedroom levels? Come ON! ;)

Not to mention the top notch support, forums, knowledge bases, eg wiki, YouTube, literature, constant and regular major FREE updates, the ability to use it as an interface, a hub for all your gear, the ability to tweak at a super deep level that no one else offers, tons of pristine effects, all with major tweakability, tons of hard to find and expensive amps, weight advantage, setup time advantage, run-direct and sound amazing still advantage, routability, flexibility, oh the list goes on......

It's almost silly to NOT own one as a guitar player these days. I can't afford NOT to.....

I think you've just about said it all. It may not pay the bills, but it's sure fun to own.

TBH, I didn't think the Fractal had a demon-possessed sibling. If it did, could it show us stuff on YT, teach us how to renovate a kitchen or bathroom, or even maybe complain about life in general...? (Not that I'd want this for anyone...).

Wait a minute. This describes exactly what my TV has been showing me these past several years...and has been teaching us what NOT to do. Lesson? Don't imitate what you see on TV. There is a largely competitive spirit there that espouses good vs. bad, smarter vs. dumber, a contrast of "intelligence" and "foolishness."

Instead, enjoy a happy family life in the safety of your own home, sitting with your feet up, sipping a mixed drink, listening to music, reading a good book. Enjoy wholesome entertainment, practice guitar, or whatever hobby strengthens your faith in what you know is good.

Does this sound boring? Perhaps. One thing I've learned is, I, like others, am thankful for my family and friends, my shelter, food, and clothing, and of course, my job. I don't really need much else, but am thankful that FAS builds guitar processors that are a joy to own.

May you all find the same contentment with your FAS gear. Thanks for letting me be part of your forum.

Being a Helix user which i really love the unit, im now on waiting list for a FM9, been studying up on the Fractal Eco system
and from what ive read so far is that its the feel that is different in the Fractal, also some have pointed out that despite much deeper parameter editing its easier and quicker to make Fractal units sound better
looking forward to learning all that stuff

Their product just feel right in terms of dynamics and the responding to your touch,

That is what separates them from everyone else.

# of effects, amps, IRs, blah blah blah. Those are simple choices based upon marketing and budget.

None of that matters if it doesn't feel right.
+1. I've been using digital tech since 2001. Certainly have had 100s of sounds at my fingertips all these years. The FM3 is just a different animal in that it feels different as I change the settings. Granted, it's the latest-and-greatest technology, and I haven't compared against Helix/Kemper/QC etc, but it sure smokes the older generation stuff in terms of feeling real. This is good AND bad - it can definitely take some work to dial things in, but I feel pretty confident that it's all in there with the right guidance. Like, I'm literally amazed at how many familiar sounds I've found in the 12ish hours I've put into learning the unit. It's an encyclopedia of tone.

Back
Top Bottom