Food for thought regarding dialing in an amp to suit an IR

MikeBrooklyn

Inspired
Hi all,

I was trying out cabs last night and something dawned on me. Generally, the advice is to set the amp darker (lower presence and treble) when dialing in a amp for high volume live use.

To me, this goes against what one would do if we were actually miking a live amp on stage. IME I almost always have the presence and treble way up on a real amp. I'd still want this sound behind me on stage. So how would it be dealt with it for FOH? They'd eq it at the board OR (and this is what I see a lot of pro bands doing when I watch live clips or I see video) use a darker mic like a KSM 313 or a Royer 121 and apply the eq to tame the high end that way

I've been making presets like this (dialing them in super bright with an sm57 then switching to a r121 or ksm313 and played loud they sound fantastic

What I usually saw recommended was to set the amp as you need for your sound, and use some EQ (high cut in the cab block, parametric EQ) to tame any harsh frequencies. Never saw Leon for example pull back the treble on the amp controls on a mark series or something like that for live use.

What I usually saw recommended was to set the amp as you need for your sound, and use some EQ (high cut in the cab block, parametric EQ) to tame any harsh frequencies. Never saw Leon for example pull back the treble on the amp controls on a mark series or something like that for live use.

Doesnt he use -24dB/oct above 10k in the cab block though? Something along those lines at least.

Back
Top Bottom