AFIII Foo Fighters - The Pretender (80s Synth Rock Cover)

RockyKramer

What happens when you combine your love for Foo Fighters and your love for 80s rock? This! “The Pretender” was originally released in 2007, and it quickly became one of my favorite songs. One night a few months ago, I was writing music with a Roland synth sound a la “Separate Ways,” and this idea came out. It made me wonder what the full song would sound like with an 80s synth rock mentality. As I'm not a vegetarian, I recorded the guitars to add some beef. I hope you enjoy it!

The gear:
Fender Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups (Tone Zone, Air Norton, Air Norton) through a Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III:
Clean: Fender Silverface Twin Reverb, IR: 2x12 Double Verb2 57 E ML.
Lead: Engl Savage 120, IR: BENGEL Rib160-2B.
DigiTech FreqOut

Rrrrreally well done, great singing AND playing, Love it! Great video edits and facial expressions as well ;-)

Very cool idea. But - it sounds very mono - didn´t you double the rhythmguitars with panning hard left/right?

Very cool idea. But - it sounds very mono - didn´t you double the rhythmguitars with panning hard left/right?
I didn't double the rhythm guitar, so yes, you're hearing just one rhythm guitar primarily (technically speaking, there's four stereo guitar tracks.) The rhythm guitar plays second fiddle to the synths, since that there's a synth playing those same parts. The guitar is there mostly to do what the synth can't do (palm-muting, strumming,) if that makes sense?! The synths are panned though, but only about 10 and 2 o'clock, didn't like them hard-panned. I love doubling guitars, so this is one of the few times I chose not to do it (it depends on what's the main event!) I could always go back in later, the preset is safely saved on my AF3. Cheers!

...Been listening to this piece off and on...from time to time... I'VvE come to the conclusion,... that it's still an amazingly enjoyable offering! Thanks! ...and Rock-On Rocker.

Back
Top Bottom