FOH + using a cab

Galen Cane

Inspired
If I'm running my Axe-FX through a Marshall 4x12 I've got the cab sim bypassed but if I'm going through the PA I'll need it switched on.

How do I do both at the same time?

Yes. I run it this way and love it. Best of both worlds. Easiest to just set cab block with all the same cab types across all patches. IMHO of course.

Wouldnt having this setup make it difficult to hard tweak?
Because yr marshall 4x12 will put out a different tone to what your sending via the axe to FOH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldnt having this setup make it difficult to hard tweak?
Because yr marshall 4x12 will put out a different tone to what your sending via the axe to FOH.

Not that big of a difference really....especially if you get a cab sim that sounds close to your real cabinet. Works great! Again...just set same cab sims on all patches and it's a breeze.

I have to kind of agree, whats the point in using the cab if your just giving the audience the IR sim ?

Wouldn't you want your guitar to sound the same to the crowd as your hearing it on stage ?

In addition, seems like a lot of extra hassle dragging a 4x12 around just to use it for monitoring on stage, and perhaps looking cooler because you have an amp on stage.

I'd rather just use some IEM's on stage, have nothing heavy to carry, and be able to control stage volumes and get an ideal monitor mix, but that's just me.

I have to kind of agree, whats the point in using the cab if your just giving the audience the IR sim ? Wouldn't you want your guitar to sound the same to the crowd as your hearing it on stage ? In addition, seems like a lot of extra hassle dragging a 4x12 around just to use it for monitoring on stage, and perhaps looking cooler because you have an amp on stage. I'd rather just use some IEM's on stage, have nothing heavy to carry, and be able to control stage volumes and get an ideal monitor mix, but that's just me.

I like 3-D swirl of have a real cab onstage. Gives a punch of air moving and really has to be tried before you knock it. It really gives the band the punch and you still get the front of house nice clean signal as well.

I have to kind of agree, whats the point in using the cab if your just giving the audience the IR sim ?

For me it has to do with filling the stage for my band mates and speaker interaction for sweet harmonic feedback. Also it just plain "feels" like it should, because it is the real thing.

Wouldn't you want your guitar to sound the same to the crowd as your hearing it on stage ?

If you spend a little time you can get to sound exactly the same. In fact if you go so far as to shoot some IR of the same cab, the difference is indistinguishable. The main difference in my experience is the guitar/speaker interaction. A guitar speaker is designed for it, an FRFR speaker is not.

In addition, seems like a lot of extra hassle dragging a 4x12 around just to use it for monitoring on stage, and perhaps looking cooler because you have an amp on stage.

I don't know about others, but I definitely do not do this to "look cool," in fact my 412 is usually positioned as a side wash across the stage, so it's not really visible. The point is the sound, the feel, and the interaction.

I'd rather just use some IEM's on stage, have nothing heavy to carry, and be able to control stage volumes and get an ideal monitor mix, but that's just me.

Actually since going with the 412, the stage volume has gone down because the FRFR disperses 90x90 whereas the 412 beams it straight across the stage. Previously we had to have my guitar cranked in all the monitors, now it's not even in the monitors except for the drummer, and is literally 1/2 the overall stage volume.

As for heavy stuff to carry. The 412 has casters. I put everything else on top of it and use it as a cart.

I like 3-D swirl of have a real cab onstage. Gives a punch of air moving and really has to be tried before you knock it. It really gives the band the punch and you still get the front of house nice clean signal as well.

I've tried it plenty, and got plenty of sore backs and banged up knuckles from trying to get my 1960a cab up and down stairs, through narrow hallways and doors etc. Just never was an overly fun part of the gig for me.

I've always had issues with stage volume as well and trying to get a good balance where I could hear myself, and the other guitarist. Usually it would be a battle of both turning up louder so we could hear our guitar better, which just makes everyone else turn up louder lol.

With everyone going direct I personally found it so much easier because we could all have what we wanted in the monitor feed, and stage volumes were so much lower, letting the FOH mix end up being better.

I do get that its cool getting the air moving, and its nice to feel your pant leg flap which each palm muted down stroke, and all that, but to me at least, the disadvantages outweigh it.

I used to sort of have the attitude where I just wanted to hear myself sounding good, I wanted to get to crank my rig up, and I really didn't care much about the audience (because frankly it was usually just a few drunks lol). Anymore though, I've come to care more about what sound is going to the FOH and I'm not playing for myself, I'm playing for the fans (or fan lol), and I'm trying to be a good bandmate by not overpowering the other members.

To me, one of the great things about the AxeII, is that I can get the same sound I hear to the audience.

It gets around the issue of having my guitar sound good to me on stage, but then having the crowd hear it sounding like thin crap. With the Axe, if it sounds good to me though the monitors, or IEM's, its going to sound the same, or similar at least, through the house PA, and I can get that sound anywhere.

Less gear to carry, less hurting my ears with high stage volumes, and the ability to constantly get a reproducible tone. That has kind of been the grail for me since I first bought a POD, and the Axe II really made it a reality

In fairness though, I still do have a JCM800 lead series cab sitting in my basement with some vintage Greenbacks, just for the visceral thrill of cranking it up and moving that air sometimes ;)

Said: lots of stuff that I couldn't agree with more!

Yep, you nailed it for me
thumbsup.gif

Neat and tidy... perfect for one's OCD!
laughing.gif

Coverd-Stage.jpg

Four-piece band, self-contained sound and lighting rig (excl. silver cans in venue rigging) all set up and ready to rock with no soundcheck necessary within in one hour of arriving at venue
thumbsup.gif

Galen, I run my Axe just as you're describing, and it's been great! We use IEMs, but I wanted to have a live cab to feel some air moving and to get some controlled feedback when the moment calls for it.

I also put the fx loop block just before the cab block, and then goosed some of the lower end frequencies on the output 2 graphic EQ going to the live cab in order to get more air moving without cranking the stage volume too much.

I love the diversity on this forum with how everyone has their own method for what works for them. There's a lot of wisdom here. Just experiment until you find out what works best for your needs. That's the fun part.

Put the FX loop right before the cab block. Use output 2 to feed the power amp/Marshall 4x12, output 1 to FOH.

While this a cool idea, what about the effects (delay, reverb, etc...) that are after the cabinet block? Provided if you are using a complex patch I find this is a bit to dry (raw) sounding.

While this a cool idea, what about the effects (delay, reverb, etc...) that are after the cabinet block? Provided if you are using a complex patch I find this is a bit to dry (raw) sounding.

Put reverb and delays etc. between the amp and cab sim, and before the fx block. This way, the fx goes both to the FOH and the cabinet onstage.

Put reverb and delays etc. between the amp and cab sim, and before the fx block. This way, the fx goes both to the FOH and the cabinet onstage.

That would be Logical... but I'm sure that is not going to sound quite the same. At least from an FRFR (FOH) experience.

However, I would be curious to hear what it sounds like...

Galen, I run my Axe just as you're describing, and it's been great! We use IEMs, but I wanted to have a live cab to feel some air moving and to get some controlled feedback when the moment calls for it.

I also put the fx loop block just before the cab block, and then goosed some of the lower end frequencies on the output 2 graphic EQ going to the live cab in order to get more air moving without cranking the stage volume too much.

I love the diversity on this forum with how everyone has their own method for what works for them. There's a lot of wisdom here. Just experiment until you find out what works best for your needs. That's the fun part.

I use an IEM in the ear closest to the drummer (so I don't go deaf and to hear the band) and on the other side of me I have a Matrix Q12 on a stand at shoulder height. I can get great controlled feedback just by turning the guitar to the Matrix. My Engl 2x12 v30s sits at home.

That would be Logical... but I'm sure that is not going to sound quite the same. At least from an FRFR (FOH) experience.

However, I would be curious to hear what it sounds like...

Doesn't sound exactly the same, but it sounds great. This is what you would do in the eighites, putting time based fx between the preamp and the poweramp ;)

Doesn't sound exactly the same, but it sounds great. This is what you would do in the eighites, putting time based fx between the preamp and the poweramp ;)

Good point... I'm using these for "live" patches anyway... So why not? Couldn't hurt to make a few test patches to sample during the week at my next rehearsal.

Cheers.

Nice rig. Are you running playback and switching via a laptop, if so, what kind?

Back
Top Bottom