FOH Speaker Reccomendations

Eliju

Experienced
So I'm looking at some new FOH speakers for bars and small clubs.

I've got it narrowed down to QSC K12s, EV ZLX 12p and Peavy RBN 112. Anyone got some input on what would be best or what you do or don't like about each?

zlx is a good low price option. sounds a little boxy and "plastic" to me. the highs are a little unnatural. i've used these, but aren't my preference.

the K12 to me has a lot of high and low end that needs to be cut for use with guitar and modelers. (i could say the same about most powered speakers, but the K12 is really boomy to me.) i currently use CP8 and used to use K10 speakers and they were great once the EQ was tailored a bit either with my mixer or the Axe Global Graphic. reliable and pretty standard in live sound these days.

i don't know about the RBN at all, but in general, i've never really liked Peavey speaker products.

We're real happy with our K12s. (We have the originals, not the V2 models. Haven't seen a need to upgrade.) We also use K10s for wedge monitors. The K-models have plenty of clean power for our needs. We're an acoustic/electric classic rock cover band. We're running vocals and both electric and acoustic guitar processors direct to FOH with no backline. The bass guitar is a Washburn acoustic, run into a 4x10 combo amp, and a little bit DI'ed into the FOH for better definition. We don't run drums through the PA for most gigs, but the drummer mics his kick drum and runs it direct into a K8 on the "Deep" setting, pointed at the wall behind him. It's sort of a mini-sub, adding a touch of thump to the kick.

Even though we don't typically use subs for the small places we play, we usually tame the boominess with the "Exernal Sub" switch on the K12 and K10s, which is just a low cut filter. For larger venues and big outdoor shows, we add subs to the setup and mic the drums more completely.

hi guys im looking into speakers for my gigs with my korg pa 4x and i dont know whether to go with the rcf or jbl what do you think?

Last edited:
RCF got a new Series, the NX!

I recommend to check out the NX 32 A. This thing outclasses the ART Series by far and is close to the TT+ Series, but at a lower price.

In combination with an RCF SUB 8004-AS the system really shines and is IMO one of the best in price-performance ratio at this price range.

We use a pair of RCF Evox J8s. They are more than enough to play a typical restaurant/pub/bar. They're light, compact, unobtrusive, and sound fantastic. We had been using K10s with Yorkville subs for years. The RCFs sound better and are less work. My K10s are going up for sale.

We rehearse with a single Turbosound ip2000 and it works fantastic. I subbed in for a friend playing bass with a band this past weekend - they used a pair of the ip2000s and they sounded killer as well.

RCF got a new Series, the NX!

I recommend to check out the NX 32 A. This thing outclasses the ART Series by far and is close to the TT+ Series, but at a lower price.

In combination with an RCF SUB 8004-AS the system really shines and is IMO one of the best in price-performance ratio at this price range.

Be careful, not all ART series are built the same with the same components. I have some NX speakers, they sound great but so do the ART 7series. The NX boxes are made of plywood the ART are molded plastic.

If you ever have an issue, RCF service is in NJ and they are really good about standing behind their product.

We're real happy with our K12s. (We have the originals, not the V2 models. Haven't seen a need to upgrade.) We also use K10s for wedge monitors. The K-models have plenty of clean power for our needs. We're an acoustic/electric classic rock cover band. We're running vocals and both electric and acoustic guitar processors direct to FOH with no backline. The bass guitar is a Washburn acoustic, run into a 4x10 combo amp, and a little bit DI'ed into the FOH for better definition. We don't run drums through the PA for most gigs, but the drummer mics his kick drum and runs it direct into a K8 on the "Deep" setting, pointed at the wall behind him. It's sort of a mini-sub, adding a touch of thump to the kick.

Even though we don't typically use subs for the small places we play, we usually tame the boominess with the "Exernal Sub" switch on the K12 and K10s, which is just a low cut filter. For larger venues and big outdoor shows, we add subs to the setup and mic the drums more completely.
Thanks for the info. I got a pair of K12s (original) for $800 in great condition. I got a question. Do the fans not come on until the amp heats up? They came today and I did a quick test with my my phone and an RCA cable but the fans didn't come on at all. I only had them cranked for 10 seconds or so cause they're insanely loud in my living room.

Back
Top Bottom