FoH in Stereo, Monitor in Mono - How do you do it?

fox5150

Inspired
My stated goal with the Axe-FX has been to massively condense my rig down to little more than the Axe-FX and some form of monitoring. Right now, I'm using the Matrix equipment and thoroughly enjoying it. I've got a GT1000FX and two CFR12's so that I can play at home in stereo and also, venue permitting, be stereo on stage/backline too. However, a lot of the places we play, I doubt I'll have the luxury of having both CFR12's on stage and so will have to run one. Yes, I know I can stack one on top of the other, but I'm interested in the stereo/mono thing right now :D

So, Axe-FX Output 1 (balanced) L & R -> FoH; Axe-FX Output 1 (unbalanced) L -> GT1000FX & CFR12.

Is it just as simple as avoiding stereo delays/reverbs, panning of guitar cabs, etc? So run mono delay/reverbs and when I do want to use two guitar cabs, pan them both to centre? I'm fairly sure I saw a global option to SUM L+R, but will that affect the FoH signal?

I intend to configure my patches such that I've got FRFR on Output 1 and no cab sims on Output 2, for those situations where I have to go into a guitar cab. This is just for my own patch management, but, with 384 user banks, I guess I could just have them replicated in another set of banks. I just don't want to have to maintain two of everything.

Any advice, as always, is gratefully received.

Thanks,

Simon

For output 2 there are these options.

OUTPUT 2 MODE (LEFT ONLY/ L+R SUM/ STEREO

So L+R sum should do it while keeping out 1 in stereo

I'd create separate patches for FRFR and for going through a guitar cab anyway.

So, if you go direct to FOH and also FRFR for your personal monitoring, I'd send Out1 to FOH and Out2 to your monitor.
Use "copy out1 to out2" in the I/O options. The mode (stereo or sum L+R) depends on your patches: if you have different sounds or, for example, delays on either side and want to hear both through your monitor you obviously want "sum L+R". If you use any phase manipulation (stereo mod FX, phase reverse, very small delay offsets in one channel) you don't want to sum and better leave it at "stereo" and use only one channel for your monitor.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to connect my monitors to Output 2 and use the copy options. From your advice I think that's the most flexible option. I shall p,at with this and report back.

Back
Top Bottom