FOH desk setting

Dom1

Hello,
I've just purchased the Ax8 and i'm wondering what people set their channel eq for FOH when beginning to create their sound. Or do you create your sound and then set the eq on your channel for FOH?
Ill be using a monitor onstage.
Sorry if its a stupid question but I'm new to this.

Thanks

Thanks for your help, also I believe the Ax 8 is better than the fx model when not using an amp, does this sound right?

Thanks for your help, also I believe the Ax 8 is better than the fx model when not using an amp, does this sound right?

Your question isn't clear. If you mean "Is the AX8 better than the FX8 when not using real amps?" than absolutely yes. The FX8 has no amp or cab modeling, so you have to use it with a real amp (or another amp modeler). If you don't have an amp, the FX8 will generally sound pretty terrible as a direct electric guitar signal. The AX8 has amps, cabs, and effects, and can replace your entire guitar rig.

Your question isn't clear. If you mean "Is the AX8 better than the FX8 when not using real amps?" than absolutely yes. The FX8 has no amp or cab modeling, so you have to use it with a real amp (or another amp modeler). If you don't have an amp, the FX8 will generally sound pretty terrible as a direct electric guitar signal. The AX8 has amps, cabs, and effects, and can replace your entire guitar rig.

Thanks
Yeah that's what I mean. I'm hoping to cut down on gear(my amp). Also I've heard the sounds people are getting with no amp and it's amazing. I've a 30 day trial period. I'm hoping I can get some good sounds sorted during this time to give it a good try at the gigs& not have to send it back.

As 1 noob to another, i'd say upgrade to v6.02 firmware, then update all the factory presets to the new v6.02 versions (deets on doing this in other threads) then audition away & copy the ones you like to user presets for further tweaking.

As 1 noob to another, i'd say upgrade to v6.02 firmware, then update all the factory presets to the new v6.02 versions (deets on doing this in other threads) then audition away & copy the ones you like to user presets for further tweaking.
Ok thanks il look into it

What I did was create a patch with 4-5 scenes at home using my studio monitors playing at about 85-90 db in my room.
This is my main patch from clean to lead.
Then took my Axe to (in my case our church) and plugged it into the FOH.
I played the patch using all scenes with myself and 2 other musician / sound technicians listening.
It sounded really good and was completely usable.
To make it even better there was a very slight EQ adjustment that was made to 2 areas that is now saved to the 2 channels I always use.
I have had good luck getting things to sound good at home and having it translate when playing live.

What I did was create a patch with 4-5 scenes at home using my studio monitors playing at about 85-90 db in my room.
This is my main patch from clean to lead.
Then took my Axe to (in my case our church) and plugged it into the FOH.
I played the patch using all scenes with myself and 2 other musician / sound technicians listening.
It sounded really good and was completely usable.
To make it even better there was a very slight EQ adjustment that was made to 2 areas that is now saved to the 2 channels I always use.
I have had good luck getting things to sound good at home and having it translate when playing live.

Did you use a monitor onstage?

During the testing / listening session I was back at the board so we could all hear the mains together.
No on stage monitor was used at that time.
This week will be my first week with custom in ears from Alclair.
We'll see how that sounds.

During the testing / listening session I was back at the board so we could all hear the mains together.
No on stage monitor was used at that time.
This week will be my first week with custom in ears from Alclair.
We'll see how that sounds.
Ok will you let me no how you get on with the in ears please?

I think you would be very un-satisfied with the FX8 if you aren't using an amp. Without the amp and cab monitoring the FOS and monitor mixes would be way lame (in my opinion).

Ok will you let me no how you get on with the in ears please?

Sunday went well with the in ears.
I think my case may be unique. I am the first one in our band to use a personal mixer on stage with in ear monitoring and no amplifier/monitor on stage. I had previously been using Sony studio headphones for about 6 weeks to start to get a feel of what it would be like without my monitor on stage and before spending $600 on the ears.

The part that takes extra effort in my case is we still run floor wedges for the rest of the band.
As the floor monitor mix changes as we practice, I have to make adjustments to my mix to get it sounding and feeling right.
But once it is set it sounds great!

For example our keyboard player has really nice gear. We have played together for many years.
He runs his signal stereo L/R. Our FOH is stereo as well.
Until I used the in ear monitoring system I had no idea how good his sounds / tones are! They sound amazing!!!

And then being able to hear myself clearly, it will help me as a musician. I hear every mistake. :eek:
Its all good!

Hello everyone,
Something came up & the order cancelled but I've it ordered now and expect to have it Friday. I'm going to be using a 15" monitor onstage. Can anyone see me having problems getting a good sound with this size of speaker? I plan on setting my sound at home with the same monitor.

Sunday went well with the in ears.
I think my case may be unique. I am the first one in our band to use a personal mixer on stage with in ear monitoring and no amplifier/monitor on stage. I had previously been using Sony studio headphones for about 6 weeks to start to get a feel of what it would be like without my monitor on stage and before spending $600 on the ears.

The part that takes extra effort in my case is we still run floor wedges for the rest of the band.
As the floor monitor mix changes as we practice, I have to make adjustments to my mix to get it sounding and feeling right.
But once it is set it sounds great!

For example our keyboard player has really nice gear. We have played together for many years.
He runs his signal stereo L/R. Our FOH is stereo as well.
Until I used the in ear monitoring system I had no idea how good his sounds / tones are! They sound amazing!!!

And then being able to hear myself clearly, it will help me as a musician. I hear every mistake. :eek:
Its all good!
Good to hear, I'm hoping to get inears in a few months ,

Sure thing!
Me to please,... I've been using a GT-100 for about 2 years now and I've always struggled with my tone's sounding good a home through good monitors and then things sound different coming out FOH & IEM's ... not hugely different, but enough that I have to do some EQ tweaking on board,..

I've only had the AX8 a few days, but I'm already lovin' it!

Rick

Back
Top Bottom